Crackling sound from (potentially) the power supply?

user123123

the pc that i use is HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop TG01-2032nt Bundle PC (https://ssl.www8.hp.com/tr/tr/products/desktops/product-detail.html?oid=2100744165#!tab=features) but the systeminfo from cmd says HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop TG01-2xxx, i bought this computer without the graphics card. the power supply, as they say is ;

part number: L81009-800
part description: GNRC PSU 500W WS20 FR GOLD

for reference, back when i didnt ground the plug i used the pc ungrounded for 1-2 weeks, it zapped me whenever i touched the backplate of the pc but this is a usual thing, but the unusual thing was that it made some, relatively loud electrical crackling sounds in one occurance (not buzzing or coil while, altough coilwhine exists at an amplification that you cant hear unless u put your head next to the case), that one occurance scared the hell out of me then like i did when i was using the pc ungrounded, i unplugged the pc, flushed out all the remaining electricity by closing down the pc> unplugging it> holding down power button. after that, that loud cracking was gone, i didnt know what made it so that it made a sound that loud, maybe i unplugged the pc without closing down the pc? no idea. but after so i got my wall plug grounded ( using a shady method but from a computer perspective it pretty much works as normal grounding except for some very dangerous situations but nevermind this) everything went fine but then i started to notice a small, non electrical crackling sound, i thought that was from the pc case as it was a sound similiar to when i pressed down the front of the pc case, it sounded like a quiet version of crackling your fingers, but when i got so paranoid like yesterday and started to investigate it, i found out that the sound comes from the back of the case, where the motherboard, the psu and the cpu(and the cooler) is located at, pretty much, the only moving parts in the pc except for the mobo ( i dont know where the case fans are located at ) but then, when i focused a bit too much on it i heard coil whine which is fine as it was really really quiet, but i started to hear some real quiet electrical sparking/crackling sounds.

anyone have any idea if it is the psu causing this? i bought this hp pc like a month ago and i guess this thing has existed since then but i guess i didnt notice it? anyone have any idea why this is caused?

some things i wrote in another website about this:

"actually, there is still some crackling noise altought very silent ones, like crackling your fingers quietly but even quieter, it either comes from the power supply or the mobo/cpu fan, and i doubt if it is about the load on the system as there seemed to be no change in frequency after running a furmark for like a minute, the crackling noises seem to appear completely randomly, like 1-3 times per minute, any idea why? again as i said, it is a hp prebuilt psu so that could give some hints?"

if it is the psu, is this a major problem? i dont have much money for a new power supply ( especially here due to economical reasons ) so i guess i'd try my luck at warranty. any help would be greatly appreciated

STOP USING IT IMMEDIATELY!!!!!!!!!!!

21 minutes ago, user123123 said:

for reference, back when i didnt ground the plug i used the pc ungrounded for 1-2 weeks, it zapped me whenever i touched the backplate of the pc but this is a usual thing,

You call this a usual thing?!

Something is really wrong here.

Also why didn't you connect the ground pin?!

but the unusual thing was that it made some, relatively loud electrical crackling sounds in one occurance (not buzzing or coil while, altough coilwhine exists at an amplification that you cant hear unless u put your head next to the case), that one occurance scared the hell out of me then like i did when i was using the pc ungrounded, i unplugged the pc, flushed out all the remaining electricity by closing down the pc> unplugging it> holding down power button. after that, that loud cracking was gone, i didnt know what made it so that it made a sound that loud, maybe i unplugged the pc without closing down the pc?

Did you hear an arc?

Don't use that PC,it can kill you.

if it is the psu, is this a major problem? i dont have much money for a new power supply ( especially here due to economical reasons ) so i guess i'd try my luck at warranty. any help would be greatly appreciated

It can kill you in many different ways,it can zap you to death,it can explode,catch fire and burn your house.

Please don't use that PC if you value your life and those around you.

Please use the warranty.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

5 minutes ago, Vishera said:

You call this a usual thing?!

Something is really wrong here.

Also why didn't you connect the ground pin?!

Did you hear an arc?

Don't use that PC,it can kill you.

It can kill you in many different ways,it can zap you to death,it can explode,catch fire and burn your house.

Please don't use that PC if you value your life and those around you.

Please use the warranty.

other furniture here also zapped ( or read an electric signal ) when they we ungrounded, it disappeared after grounding it though.

stop using it and what? it literally cost 1.3 times the minimum wage here to buy it

also the wall plugs werent grounded as the house i live in isnt a new one ( different kinds of specifications of houses here ), as i said, i used an ab-normal technique to ground the wall

Just now, user123123 said:

other furniture here also zapped ( or read an electric signal ) when they we ungrounded, it disappeared after grounding it though.

Do you even have proper wiring in your house?,with safety stuff and all?

What the hell is going on there?!

Why grounded outlets are such a problem for you?

At this point i suspect that the electrical wiring in your house is a hazard.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz

1 minute ago, Vishera said:

Do you even have proper wiring in your house?,with safety stuff and all?

What the hell is going on there?!

Why grounded outlets are such a problem for you?

At this point i suspect that the electrical wiring in your house is a hazard.

electrical wiring is a standart one, just doesnt have grounding.

18 minutes ago, user123123 said:

electrical wiring is a standart one, just doesnt have grounding.

If it's standard in your country then this standard is dangerous.

This is below the standards of most countries in the world.

And i guess that it's standard in your country just because it's cheaper that way,even though it's hazardous and can kill you.

It's important to have safety features,to protect people from the hazards that come with electricity.

10 minutes ago, Vishera said:

If it's standard in your country then this standard is dangerous.

This is below the standards of most countries in the world.

And i guess that it's standard in your country just because it's cheaper that way,even though it's hazardous and can kill you.

It's important to have safety features,to protect people from the hazards that come with electricity.

the standart has changed since then but i live in an old house and they arent forced to update the wiring so... anyway, just nevermind this part. any idea if the psu is malfunctioning and could it damage the system? i got an electrician to do the "grounding" so yes a professional did it.

6 minutes ago, user123123 said:

the standart has changed since then but i live in an old house and they arent forced to update the wiring so... anyway, just nevermind this part.

No,i will not just mind this part,but focus on it.

First:

47 minutes ago, user123123 said:

but after so i got my wall plug grounded ( using a shady method but from a computer perspective it pretty much works as normal grounding except for some very dangerous situations

DO NOT WORK WITH HIGH VOLTAGE IF YOU WEREN'T PROPERLY TRAINED FOR IT

Please hire a qualified electrician to check your house and fix those hazards.

I get that it costs money and you are poor,but we are talking here about serious hazards that can kill you,

It's no joke.

1 minute ago, Vishera said:

No,i will not just mind this part,but focus on it.

First:

DO NOT WORK WITH HIGH VOLTAGE IF YOU WEREN'T PROPERLY TRAINED FOR IT

Please hire a qualified electrician to check your house and fix those hazards.

I get that it costs money and you are poor,but we are talking here about serious hazards that can kill you,

It's no joke.

i got an electrician to do the "grounding" so yes a professional did it.

i got an electrician to do the "grounding" so yes a professional did it.

All outlets need to be grounded,

It's not safe to use ungrounded outlets.

Was the guy a real electrician?,qualified and certified?

6 minutes ago, Vishera said:

All outlets need to be grounded,

It's not safe to use ungrounded outlets.

Was the guy a real electrician?,qualified and certified?

only ones for the furniture were "grounded". by grounded it technically does what a grounded wall does but still has 2 wires instead of 1 extra for the ground. and yes, the guy was a real electrician

3 minutes ago, user123123 said:

only ones for the furniture were "grounded". by grounded it technically does what a grounded wall does but still has 2 wires instead of 1 extra for the ground

A charlatan's job.

It may be expensive but you need to fix those hazards ASAP with a real electrician.

For proper grounding you need a third wire connected to ground for real.

30 minutes ago, Vishera said:

A charlatan's job.

It may be expensive but you need to fix those hazards ASAP with a real electrician.

For proper grounding you need a third wire connected to ground for real.

i cant do that right now, i understand your concerns but there isnt anything that i can do right now, can you help about the psu? also the zapping stopped when i "grounded" it

35 minutes ago, user123123 said:

i cant do that right now, i understand your concerns but there isnt anything that i can do right now, can you help about the psu? also the zapping stopped when i "grounded" it

It's possible that the issue is not the PSU but the electrical hazards in your house.

If it happens again stop using it and consider to RMA it.

I didn't read everything, just glossed over whatever's been posted, just wanted to clarify something :

If what you refer to by "zapped me" is just a tingle, then that's leakage current coming from the device itself, not the wall plug, and that's normal.

It shouldn't severly harm you, for the most part it's just extremely annoying.

You're supposed to use properly grounded outlets to get rid of it.

But if what you refer to is an electric shock (it's brutal, and will make you jump away from the device in pain), then that's either electrostatic discharge (no big deal) or a short (dangerous).

A short should trigger the breakers, do you have a panel somewhere with breakers?

Example :

spacer.png

2 minutes ago, electropical said:

I didn't read everything, just glossed over whatever's been posted, just wanted to clarify something :

If what you refer to by "zapped me" is just a tingle, then that's leakage current coming from the device itself, not the wall plug, and that's normal.

It shouldn't severly harm you, for the most part it's just extremely annoying.

You're supposed to use properly grounded outlets to get rid of it.

But if what you refer to is an electric shock (it's brutal, and will make you jump away from the device in pain), then that's either electrostatic discharge (no big deal) or a short (dangerous).

A short should trigger the breakers, do you have a panel somewhere with breakers?

Example :

spacer.png

im almost certain that it was the device leaking the electricity, it was not a very powerful shock but enough to keep my finger away from there. also yes i have those switches in the house

8 minutes ago, Vishera said:

It's possible that the issue is not the PSU but the electrical hazards in your house.

If it happens again stop using it and consider to RMA it.

it is constantly making these noises...?

it is constantly making these noises...?

What is the source of the noise?

The power supply itself,the connection between the PSU and the power cable,or something else?

17 hours ago, Vishera said:

What is the source of the noise?

The power supply itself,the connection between the PSU and the power cable,or something else?

its from the back side of the system where mobo/cpu and psu is located at, i suspect of the psu, but maybe, and hopefully the case could be the problem? when i press down on the front of the system a bit it makes a similiar sound, one similiar to that noise the pc makes heard from the usage space ( where you usually sit at in the pc ) also i dont know why but i guess the frequency of it increases when i put my cpu under heavy load ( furmark tests for gpu cant really go beyond 50c ) (like 75+c for cpu)

• 2 weeks later...

Bottom line:  You need grounded outlets.  If your outlets are not grounded, you need to call an electrician or move.

9 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Bottom line:  You need grounded outlets.  If your outlets are not grounded, you need to call an electrician or move.

bro... i already explained this. the pc is able to output its extra electricity into the "ground" plug, so from a functional standpoint we can ignore the grounded part

58 minutes ago, user123123 said:

bro... i already explained this. the pc is able to output its extra electricity into the "ground" plug, so from a functional standpoint we can ignore the grounded part

bro...