16gb Dual or 24gb Single channel

Protongog
Go to solution Solved by Protongog,
8 hours ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Most modern systems would still operate in dual channel with an 8GB stick and a 16GB stick paired together. Just the first 8GB on each module would be in dual channel and the remaining 8GB on the 16GB stick would be in single channel. 

Best to double check it's running in dual channel with something like CPU-Z after installing, but it should work. 

EDIT: I'd also point out that dual channel and capacity aren't really comparable. If your system only ever needs 12GB, having 24GB won't help with anything. And likewise, if your system needs 20GB, even with dual channel, if you only have 16GB, performance is still going to tank. 

That's very helpful thanks, 

I have a laptop which I sometimes use for Capture One or Lightroom CC. I have 3 ram sticks 8gb and 1x16gb. The performance is not great but I would like to improve it where I can. Should I go 2x8gb or 24gb using an 8gb stick with the 16. 

Most modern systems would still operate in dual channel with an 8GB stick and a 16GB stick paired together. Just the first 8GB on each module would be in dual channel and the remaining 8GB on the 16GB stick would be in single channel. 

Best to double check it's running in dual channel with something like CPU-Z after installing, but it should work. 

EDIT: I'd also point out that dual channel and capacity aren't really comparable. If your system only ever needs 12GB, having 24GB won't help with anything. And likewise, if your system needs 20GB, even with dual channel, if you only have 16GB, performance is still going to tank. 

8 hours ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

That's very helpful thanks,