ASUS B550F gaming WiFi issue waking from sleep

Go to solution Solved by freeagent,
1 hour ago, Frizz said:

Just curious if you had an update so we could maybe close this out

Sorry, I did forget about the thread..

I did use it for a few weeks  a little while ago. and didn't have any problems. I am running the latest bios as well as the latest lan driver.  I am actually looking at the Strix B550 Gaming Wifi II, was just released a couple of weeks ago.. 

TL;DR there is a known issue on ASUS B550 motherboards where they don't "wake up" devices properly from sleep, this is the only time I have issues, but when this happens, my monitor also won't display an image when coming out of sleep, even after powering off and pulling power cable from my computer and monitor. Could the MB be causing a monitor issue? Is it worth RMAing a MB for this?
Short answer: It seems to be some sort of faulty HW or conflict with certain Ryzen CPUs. As one person who had a Ryzen 3000 CPU did not have issues after switching to a Ryzen 5000

Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

DRAM: 32 GB Corsair 3200 Mbps/MT/s with DOCP on

MB: ASUS B550F Gaming WiFi

GPU: AMD RX 6800

BIOS/UEFI: 2423 (Newest besides Beta)

Monitor: Samsung G5 (FW 1007)

Back ground: Relatively new system I built less then a year ago. About 3 months in to having it, the system would not wake properly when I took it out of sleep mode. It would vary in what stopped it, but basically it failed to POST when coming out of sleep, and my biggest weird issue is the monitor also won't show an image even when the system can POST again. Sometimes it stopped on the DIMM QLED, sometimes CPU or BOOT/drive. I thought at first this was a CPU or RAM issue, and I have RMA'd both (after extensive min conifgging) and still had the issue. I did update my BIOS several times and the CPU/DIMM POST error now does not happen, basically it halts on the BOOT QLED. I found out this is a known issue for these MBs: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?120843-wake-from-sleep-issue/page2

I have the newest BIOS but it still does this even after: Updating all drivers (including GPU driver), disabling fast startup and hibernate, updating W10, running chkdsk and sfc, newest monitor FW, full min config (not a DIMM or CPU/GPU issue, only MB), disabling sleep for devices in power settings. I even RMAd my monitor, but this NEW one also goes black when this happens. You name it I have probably tried it.

I have heard basically someone debugged this and the MB may not be sending voltages correctly to the NVMe drive, causing it to drop off until you do a hard reset. But the only way I get my monitor back up is by connecting a different monitor first, and then this one and it comes back to life and works fine until the sleep issue hits again.
So I guess my question is, is this MB issue causing my monitor issue too? Or is it maybe a perfect storm of a faulty monitor messing up when the MB does? And is this MB worth RMA'ing at this point or should I just not use sleep?

Edited by Frizz
Noted answer

I couldn’t get sleep to work right with my 3600XT. Works fine with my 5600x and 5900x but I don’t use it.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL-B12, 2x TL-K12
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B14

maybe check your BOIS/UEFI settings and see if there are sleep/wake toggles for that kinda thing? just throwing an idea out there

Personally, in my experience, sleep/wake states are always messy no matter what system you're using.

Especially my work laptop, it goes into full potato mode from wake. I just shut the fucker down, it's much simpler and less headache.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

On 10/15/2021 at 11:58 AM, CRUZ_ said:

maybe check your BOIS/UEFI settings and see if there are sleep/wake toggles for that kinda thing? just throwing an idea out there

Willing to try, but I have searched through my UEFI setting several times. If you can give me an idea as to where I'll run back through

On 10/15/2021 at 12:40 AM, freeagent said:

I couldn’t get sleep to work right with my 3600XT. Works fine with my 5600x and 5900x but I don’t use it.

You would be pretty cool in my book if you tried using sleep with this setup for say a month. But fully understand if that isn't your way. It may nail down if the MB isn't working right with certain CPUs or if say some voltage controller or code for it just isn't setup right

19 minutes ago, Frizz said:

You would be pretty cool in my book if you tried using sleep with this setup for say a month. But fully understand if that isn't your way. It may nail down if the MB isn't working right with certain CPUs or if say some voltage controller or code for it just isn't setup right

I could try it out. The last time I used it it was fine, but it would wake up on its own run for a bit then take another nap. It bugged me that it would wake up when it wasn’t told to so I just turned it off at the os.

• 2 months later...
On 10/18/2021 at 9:39 AM, freeagent said:

I could try it out. The last time I used it it was fine, but it would wake up on its own run for a bit then take another nap. It bugged me that it would wake up when it wasn’t told to so I just turned it off at the os.

1 hour ago, Frizz said:

Sorry, I did forget about the thread..

I did use it for a few weeks  a little while ago. and didn't have any problems. I am running the latest bios as well as the latest lan driver.  I am actually looking at the Strix B550 Gaming Wifi II, was just released a couple of weeks ago..