Fingerprints on thermal paste

Go to solution Solved by TechFan@ic,

I did this a couple of times and to my surprise it was completely fine.
I had assumed that the oils from my skin would somehow altercate the thermal conducting power of the paste and make it less efficient but it ended up not affecting thermals at all.
As long as you have sufficient thermal paste coming in contact with the CPU cooler metal plate you're completely fine.

If you feel obligated to re-apply thermal paste make sure to use an alcohol swab first to clean the surface of the CPU after you're done leave it to dry for a few seconds and then re-apply thermal paste.
A pea sized dot is all you need, before you screw your CPU cooler back in place make sure that the thermal paste has been adequately dispersed after your CPU cooler is seated.

So seat the CPU cooler after you've applied thermal paste and before you secure it, take it off and take a quick look at the surface of the CPU, if the pressure has adequately dispersed the thermal paste you can go ahead and secure your CPU cooler.

EXAMPLE :

This is too much !
02-paste_applied.jpg

This is sufficient.
watrcool_cpu.jpg

So today i accidentally touched thermal paste on my cpu fan and now there is a small finger print on it should i replace it or its okay? (sorry for my english)

As long your fingers weren't to greasy, I don't think it will be a problem, if the fingerprint isn't to deep.
But I'm not 100% sure.

Core i7 2600  Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3P-B3  EVGA GTX 970 FTW  16Gb 1600Mhz G.SKILL

Samsung 500Gb 840EVO RAID0 Random 80GB HDD Corsair GS700 Corsair ArticWhite C70

Just check your temps if you're done.

If it's ok, it's ok.

If it's like 40-60 degrees, then you should re-apply it.

Edit: idle, not load.

I did this a couple of times and to my surprise it was completely fine.
I had assumed that the oils from my skin would somehow altercate the thermal conducting power of the paste and make it less efficient but it ended up not affecting thermals at all.
As long as you have sufficient thermal paste coming in contact with the CPU cooler metal plate you're completely fine.

If you feel obligated to re-apply thermal paste make sure to use an alcohol swab first to clean the surface of the CPU after you're done leave it to dry for a few seconds and then re-apply thermal paste.
A pea sized dot is all you need, before you screw your CPU cooler back in place make sure that the thermal paste has been adequately dispersed after your CPU cooler is seated.

So seat the CPU cooler after you've applied thermal paste and before you secure it, take it off and take a quick look at the surface of the CPU, if the pressure has adequately dispersed the thermal paste you can go ahead and secure your CPU cooler.

EXAMPLE :

This is too much !
02-paste_applied.jpg

This is sufficient.
watrcool_cpu.jpg

Honestly I'm almost completely sure it won't cause any problems but personally I would replace it anyway just because I have so much thermal paste around. Up to you.

Setup Video -----------Peasant Crushing Specs----------- 4K Benchmarks

-CPU- i7 3930k @4.8GHz 1.4v -Mobo- Asus Rampage IV Extreme -GPUs- 2x GTX Titan Hydrocopper SLI -RAM- 32GB (8x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz -Storage- 500GB Samsung 840 SSD | 2TB WD Green HDD

-Monitors- 3x BenQ XL2420T | 1x Dell U2713HM -Mouse- Steelseries Rival -Keyboard- Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown -Headphones- Audio Techinca ATH-M50 -Microphone- RØDE NT1-A

thermal paste? or pre-installed thermal pad. If it is a thermal pad - I wouldn't worry about it. 

AMD RYZEN 7 5800X3D \ Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite \  32GB 3600 G.SKILL Neo \  Gigabyte RTX 4080 Gaming OC \  Lian Li O11 Dynamic Evo \  NVMe 2TB Samsung 990 Pro, SATA 4TB Samsung 970 Evo  \  WINDOWS 11 PRO 

It never troubles the wolf how many the sheep may be. ~Publius Vergilius Maro circa 50BC