Do people really have a negative opinion about Amazon?

IAmAndre

Hi,

So I'm currently very mad at Amazon because I ordered an expensive laptop and it's now being returned. The problem is that there has been a 5-day delay and literally every time I contacted them they told me a different story. It was first "don't worry, it'll be there on time", then "it's stuck at customs but we got this", then "it'll be with you next week", and then "no, actually you need to cover the import fees even though we already charged you for these" and finally "it's damaged". Anyway...

I was so annoyed that I promised myself to stick with B&H because I always order from them and it's every time an impeccable service (heck they gave me $100 headphones for free because of an issue). I then checked if it was just me and I was surprised when I saw the reviews on Truspilot. Amazon is rated at 1.8/5 while B&H has a 4.9/5. It's worth noting that Newegg and BestBuy also have negative ratings.

Now my question is why is there such a big difference. Is it because B&H targets a more professional audience that has less time to whine online or is it really that the other services suck?

1 hour ago, Mel0nMan said:

It's really that the other services suck, from my experience.

I agree, but with so many angry customers, why is it still the biggest e-commerce platform?

1 hour ago, IAmAndre said:

I agree, but with so many angry customers, why is it still the biggest e-commerce platform?

Well they've got a huge monopoly. By the number of people on Amazon... probably the ratio of pissed off customers to fine customers is ~5% to ~95%. So even if there are a million people that don't like Amazon's services that's only a tiny fraction of the people they serve.

2 hours ago, Mel0nMan said:

Well they've got a huge monopoly. By the number of people on Amazon... probably the ratio of pissed off customers to fine customers is ~5% to ~95%. So even if there are a million people that don't like Amazon's services that's only a tiny fraction of the people they serve.

It makes sense. They also don't have to worry about whatever Trustpilot says since there are more people who know Amazon than Trustpilot itself.

4 hours ago, IAmAndre said:

I then checked if it was just me and I was surprised when I saw the reviews on Truspilot. Amazon is rated at 1.8/5 while B&H has a 4.9/5. It's worth noting that Newegg and BestBuy also have negative ratings.

I do my very best to avoid Amazon. That being said, with all the bad about Amazon, the one thing I hear over and over from most people is Amazon's customer service. Have a problem, Amazon will fix it. I've even had the same experience with them.

NewEgg, well, they've been down hill for a while. I think it was about the time they went public. It's only gotten worse. I don't remember NewEgg listing prices after rebates in the early days. Or listing prices unrealistic prices so their "sale prices" (that are really every day prices) look good. I've gotten to where I rarely use NewEgg as well these days.

40 minutes ago, OhioYJ said:

Amazon's customer service. Have a problem, Amazon will fix it.

It definitely hasn't been the case for me. It was actually my worse encounter with a CS ever. I would always got a different answer and clear lies. This morning it was even funny because I've been on the chat for 50 minutes and it's only in the last 5 minutes that they managed to actually check my case. The rest of the time they were just making things up. I talked to 3 agents in total, two of which disconnected from the chat abruptly, the other just offered to escalate it to a manager lol.

I think the main issue is that I've been chatting with their Indian staff and they clearly don't know what they are doing. And no I don't want to discriminate anybody. When I contacted them last week they said they would escalate the case and get back to me in 48 hours. 24 hours later, I decided to contact them anyway and the representative told me that the manager escalated the case to the wrong department. It has been hilarious experience and I could keep going on and on.