Windows 11 on CPUs below 2017

NotSoGamer

2 days ago Windows 11 was released, yet lucky for those systems with compatible hardware. And that's where gonna talk today, smooth OS, on not so smooth hardware (yah,yah, this is smooth tho).

What I'm gonna do to this guy is to install that via ISO, then edit the appraiseres.dll via Notepad, remove all texts with UEFI and TPM, and all done.

Screenshot (151).png

Microsoft is still doing the hard/soft floor they mentioned at it's announcement, at least if you do install from a USB device.

My computer is a Thinkpad P50 with a i7 6700HQ. Last week, I did a full reinstall of 11 using the RTM build as I was setting up a dual boot with Zorin (which is the same build as the one released on Monday). 

My computer supports TPM 2.0, supports Secureboot (even though it's off) and meets all of the requirements (minus the CPU), which means it meets the soft floor requirement.

The Windows installer never yelled to me about my CPU (or Secureboot being off) and everything works perfectly fine (both Windows and Zorin boot perfectly fine). I've been running 11 since the first public beta.

My only complaint is that explorer memory leak is pretty bad and has brought my computer to a crawl a few times, requiring a restart

The question for unsupported CPUs is if we're going to be blocked from getting the monthly cumulative updates (the yearly feature updates are pretty much assumed that they'll be blocked). I'm assuming, and this is me just taking a guess, that computers that meet the soft floor requirement will receive the monthly cumulative updates, but Microsoft has no guarantee that they'll fully be supported, and Microsoft will offer no support if something goes wrong.

Each build of 11 will be supported for two years, so build 22000 (the current build released to the public) has an EOL date of October 2023.

Here's a screenshot from my computer with my specs, showing it's running 11 with Secureboot off

Screenshot-2021-10-05-205345.png

5 hours ago, linkboy said:

Microsoft is still doing the hard/soft floor they mentioned at it's announcement, at least if you do install from a USB device.

My computer is a Thinkpad P50 with a i7 6700HQ. Last week, I did a full reinstall of 11 using the RTM build as I was setting up a dual boot with Zorin (which is the same build as the one released on Monday). 

My computer supports TPM 2.0, supports Secureboot (even though it's off) and meets all of the requirements (minus the CPU), which means it meets the soft floor requirement.

The Windows installer never yelled to me about my CPU (or Secureboot being off) and everything works perfectly fine (both Windows and Zorin boot perfectly fine). I've been running 11 since the first public beta.

My only complaint is that explorer memory leak is pretty bad and has brought my computer to a crawl a few times, requiring a restart

The question for unsupported CPUs is if we're going to be blocked from getting the monthly cumulative updates (the yearly feature updates are pretty much assumed that they'll be blocked). I'm assuming, and this is me just taking a guess, that computers that meet the soft floor requirement will receive the monthly cumulative updates, but Microsoft has no guarantee that they'll fully be supported, and Microsoft will offer no support if something goes wrong.

Each build of 11 will be supported for two years, so build 22000 (the current build released to the public) has an EOL date of October 2023.

Here's a screenshot from my computer with my specs, showing it's running 11 with Secureboot off

Screenshot-2021-10-05-205345.png

Were you able to carry over your Windows 10 digital licence by upgrading like this?

10 minutes ago, RainfallWithin said:

Were you able to carry over your Windows 10 digital licence by upgrading like this?

Yes, my license carried over.

1 hour ago, linkboy said:

Yes, my license carried over.

Just to confirm, did you boot from the USB drive with the Windows 11 ISO on it? The reason I'm asking is because I have previously upgraded hundreds of computers from Windows 7 to Windows 10, however I found that the only way I could get the licence to transfer was to run the windows media creation tool in Windows when it was booted. Only after the digital licence was transferred would I then do a clean installation of Windows 10.

9 minutes ago, RainfallWithin said:

Just to confirm, did you boot from the USB drive with the Windows 11 ISO on it? The reason I'm asking is because I have previously upgraded hundreds of computers from Windows 7 to Windows 10, however I found that the only way I could get the licence to transfer was to run the windows media creation tool in Windows when it was booted. Only after the digital licence was transferred would I then do a clean installation of Windows 10.

Yes, I downloaded the ISO directly from Microsoft website and flashed it to a USB drive, then erased my previous Windows 11 partition (I was in the Insider Preview) and did a new, clean install.

I have my Windows license attached to my Microsoft account, so it automatically registered when I logged into my account. I'm not sure if Windows 7 supported that (it's been years since I ran 7 in any capacity).