3060 ti with ryzen 7 3700x for streaming

Hey all,

I'm an avid Apex Legends player, and have been looking to record some of my gameplay and post it to Youtube.  I have an Aorus 3060 ti, a ryzen 7 3700x, 16GB of RAM, and am running the game off of a Samsung M.2 SSD.  I play at 165Hz, and anything less than that feels unplayable (when not recording I stay pretty stable at 165 fps).  I'm recording gameplay with Streamlabs OBS, and am using the x264 encoder with a 1080p base canvas resolution (my monitor res as well).  While the recording looks smooth, the game itself feels beyond unplayable.  I'm holding somewhat steady around 130fps (according to the in-game fps tracker), but I can tell that it is NOT running at that framerate.  It stutters like crazy and almost feels worse than a consistent 60fps.  I have an autoexec installed for Apex which takes the settings as low as they can possibly go so it's not like I'm trying to run on Ultra settings or anything.  I figured that a 3060 ti would be more than enough when combined with my 7 3700x, but am I wrong?  Do I just need more hardware power to properly record gameplay?  My ping is at 30ms so I know it's not that, and my Drivers are all up to date.  Anyone have any suggestions as to how to record while maintaining a consistent 165 fps?

Let me know if I missed any important details that might help narrow down a solution...

35 minutes ago, Duff_Nasty said:

am using the x264 encoder

Use nvenc encoder instead, x264 uses your CPU and will reduce your CPU gaming performance, which matters especially at high framerates

And since you have 8 cores, use task manager to dedicate certain threads to run OBS, you don't need much since your GPU encoder (nvenc) is doing the heavy processing

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

-> Moved to Programs, Apps and Websites

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv