Small form factor build for 1080p 60 fps gaming, thoughts?

EricSartor

Budget (including currency): 3000 CAD (though I really don't think they need to go that high)

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Gaming, things like Skyrim, specifically at 1080p 60fps on a TV

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/ericsartor/saved/#view=RMNrvK

Putting this build together for a friend, definitely a tech savvy friend (engineer) but not up to date on PC components knowledge.

The case was specifically picked because of front facing IO and dimensions (they want to put the PC in an 12x12 inch opening in their shelving unit under their TV).
The PSU and short cable set were also specifically picked for better cable management/airflow (didn't want to make them bother with CableMods).
Only using a single 1TB NVME so they can remove the hard drive bays from the case for extra airflow.
Using a low profile CPU cooler due to case layout, kinda unfortunate that it will be blasting right at the underside of the PSU but I think the only other option is water cooling and I doubt they wanna go down that road.
The keyboard/mouse were picked as this will be used in a "couch-gaming" set up.
I would like to have used a Roccat Sova, but they appear to be totally out of stock in Canada...

Thoughts on this part list?  Any concerns/suggestions?

Might be a good option to go with an i5 11400 or 11500 instead if the prices work out, they should have similar single thread performance and hopefully cost a bit cheaper. Since you're not gonna overclock anyway, why bother going for the -k model?

You should probably just buy a $10 Windows 10 key from eBay or another key reseller rather than spending 10x, but if you want the 100% definitely legit key and don't mind the spending extra, I guess you could go for it. 

Only thing else is that I couldn't bring myself to spend $500 on a 1650. You should probably check eBay to see if you can get a GTX 1070 or 1080 for that price, since they should both fit in that case, and they should run on a 550w PSU. 

That is one PRICEY power supply 

You can knock that down quite a bit to something like this https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/3hkwrH/corsair-power-supply-cp9020102na

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

For the Windows key, I am only budgeting the full price one because my friend seemed hesitant about not buying directly from Microsoft.  I told them there were cheaper ways, maybe I can convince them...

For the CPU, I will definitely look into that.  I knew it was a weird decision to go with the K model even though they weren't going to overclock, but the pricing seemed better for some reason on PC Part Picker...maybe I was misreading it. That's a good tip.

For the GPU, funny enough, I actually did recommend in my initial talks with them that they could go with a 1070/1080 used.  They seemed to want to get new hardware.  Again, if I can convince them, I agree that that would be the better route.  Is there really any concern with buying old used GPUs?  My 1070 is still running since like 5 years ago, but I wouldn't want them to buy something that's going to die in a few years.

For the PSU, I read that those shorter cables were pretty much only compatible with Silverstone PSUs, so I was playing it safe...but honestly, that's enough savings that I shouldn't bother with the shorter cables?

Go for Ryzen, faster RAM, and more storage. AAA games, especially full RPG and action-adventure games, will take up some serious space. If you have no room to mount that 2.5" SSD anywhere, just use double sided tape. Easy enough... Though that case should have a stealthy 2.5" bay (at least 1).

I would also recommend replacing the case fans that come with the case, with Noctua fans... and then get a 2-to-1 pwm case fan splitter. You'll definitely get a lot better airflow.

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/WyHhW3

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($357.75 @ shopRBC)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L9a-AM4 33.84 CFM CPU Cooler  ($49.95 @ Amazon Canada)
Motherboard: MSI MPG B550I GAMING EDGE MAX WIFI Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard  ($259.50 @ Vuugo)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory  ($105.77 @ Amazon Canada)
Storage: Western Digital Blue 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($119.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Storage: Western Digital SN750 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($154.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Case: Cooler Master Elite 130 Mini ITX Tower Case  ($79.98 @ Amazon Canada)
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($112.50 @ Vuugo)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit  ($116.95 @ shopRBC)
Case Fan: Noctua R8 redux-1800 PWM 31.37 CFM 80 mm Fan  ($12.41 @ Amazon Canada)
Case Fan: Noctua P12 redux-1700 PWM 70.75 CFM 120 mm Fan  ($17.95 @ Amazon Canada)
Keyboard: Corsair K63 Lapboard Combo (MX Red w/Blue LED) Wireless Gaming Keyboard  ($229.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Mouse: Logitech G Pro Wireless Wireless Optical Mouse  ($129.97 @ Amazon Canada)
Custom: Cable Matters (2-Pack) PWM 2-Fan Splitter Cable - 4 Inches  ($10.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Custom: GTX1070 ($600.00)
$2358.68

Am I still to create the perfect system?! ~ Clu

Keep your expectations low, boy, and you will never be disappointed. ~ Kratos