Server motherboard isn't POSTing or sending any beep codes, but some functions seem to work just fine

NunoLava1998

I bought a SuperMicro X9DRD-iF motherboard about a month ago, and paired it with two E5-2670 v2s and four sticks of Micron MT36JSZF1G72PZ (8GB DDR3 2RX4 PC3-10600R). 

When I boot it up (as long as there's a CPU), there's a green light on the motherboard, my fans spin, and the PC is responsive to holding the power button to either turn it on or forcibly turn it off. I don't have any video output however, and the VGA output doesn't give any signal. The same thing happens without any RAM sticks, which should give an error code.

I've tried to reseat some connectors and reinstalling the CPU (I'm not sure if it was the same one that was in that slot, I should probably try my other CPU), but it doesn't seem to do anything.

Am I missing anything? I have the 24 pin ATX, 2x EPS power, power/reset/etc. front panel connectors, internal speaker and fan connectors plugged in. I don't have any (SATA) drives plugged in, and I've tried clearing the CMOS, to no avail. The BIOS as far as I'm aware is updated to a version that supports the E5 v2 series.

Here's the manual, if it helps: https://www.supermicro.com/manuals/motherboard/C606_602/MNL-1488.pdf

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

Have you tried connecting to it over IPMI? There's two things I can see as possible.

1.) The board needs a BIOS update to support the E5-2670 v2s.

2.) The VGA port is dead. 

In the IPMI menu, you can determine which one it would be, by examining the actual BIOS version reported by the board, and get a VGA signal out thanks to KVM-over-IP.

To diagnose the second one though, you can alwyas try putting a video card in the system and see if it posts then.

Just now, RONOTHAN## said:

Have you tried connecting to it over IPMI? There's two things I can see as possible.

1.) The board needs a BIOS update to support the E5-2670 v2s.

2.) The VGA port is dead. 

In the IPMI menu, you can determine which one it would be, by examining the actual BIOS version reported by the board, and get a VGA signal out thanks to KVM-over-IP.

To diagnose the second one though, you can alwyas try putting a video card in the system and see if it posts then.

1.) is plausible, though I don't really think it's likely.

As for 2.), the issue is that it probably isn't, as I don't get any beep codes with no RAM in the system at all, which probably points to it being stuck somewhere pretty early during POST.

I'll try to see if IPMI works though, I should have tried that actually

39 minutes ago, NunoLava1998 said:

I'll try to see if IPMI works though, I should have tried that actually

I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong, as, while I have tried to search for any IPMI IP addresses, I can't find any. It does seem to be sending data but I can't get into the BIOS and see where it's sending data exactly

26 minutes ago, markwoll said:

You verified jumper JPG1 is on 1-2 to enable VGA?

It is, but it doesn't even seem to be POSTing at all

Have you tried the two 4 pin cpu power in addition to the 24 and 8's?

No beeps is strange.

42 minutes ago, markwoll said:

Have you tried the two 4 pin cpu power in addition to the 24 and 8's?

No beeps is strange.

I mean, I've only got one 130W CPU in there, and two 8pin EPSes provide 470w of power

Ah, I didn't notice that you were just running one CPU.

Are you using a supermicro chassis and power supply?

Or is this out on a test bench?

Just now, markwoll said:

Ah, I didn't notice that you were just running one CPU.

Are you using a supermicro chassis and power supply?

Or is this out on a test bench?

I'm using it on a normal EATX case with an ATX power supply. There don't seem to be any connectors specific to Supermicro and the form factor is EATX

I was thinking of standoff locations.

No chance there is a standoff in the wrong place?

Also the 3.3 bios fixes a problem with non supermicro PSU's and BMC sensors ( not that is means much at this point )