Need help for TrueNAS setup and deployment

Greetings all,
There is so much information regarding setting up NAS and in so many different ways.
I have an i5 3570,16GB Ram, 16GB SSD(boot), and 1 TB of HDD, and all this is strictly for testing purposes right now. The final hardware will be different.
My goal is to consolidate media(movies & music) for myself and only my friends(max 7) to access it from anywhere(NOT just locally) through PCs and android phones.
For initial setup I have installed TrueNAS using these instructions
Have set up Static IP for the NAS
and made a pool(striped) using these instructions
Is only one user sufficient or do I need multiple users and what kind of sharing type do I need which is secure too?
I would like to know what is further set up to suits my needs and goals mentioned earlier. I'm absolutely new to all this so any help would be appreciated.
Thanks 馃檪

Keep it simple.

5 hours ago, HunterSailor said:

s only one user sufficient or do I need multiple users and what kind of sharing type do I need which is secure too?

yea one user is fine if you dont need seperate sets of permissions.聽 id make different accounts for each user so you dont have a shared password.

5 hours ago, HunterSailor said:

I would like to know what is further set up to suits my needs and goals mentioned earlier. I'm absolutely new to all this so any help would be appreciated.

Pretty much just make a smb/cifs share and everything can access it on your local network.

21 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

yea one user is fine if you dont need seperate sets of permissions.聽 id make different accounts for each user so you dont have a shared password.

Pretty much just make a smb/cifs share and everything can access it on your local network.

local sharing works fine through smb but i want the users to access it through the internet.

Keep it simple.

Just now, HunterSailor said:

local sharing works fine through smb but i want the users to access it through the internet.

How about something like nextcloud then. Nice web app, and good andriod/iphone apps, and pretty secure. Or you can setup a vpn for smb/cifs.

4 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

How about something like nextcloud then. Nice web app, and good andriod/iphone apps, and pretty secure. Or you can setup a vpn for smb/cifs.

Okay, i would have to look into it(nextcloud), i hope it would be simple to set up. Thanks for the info. The vpn for smb solution sounds too complicated for me.

Keep it simple.