Project: H2WMBAN, Commence!

DrunkenPanda

Project: How to waste money being a nerd.... is underway

Budget (including currency): $3000, for a mostly... aesthetic upgrade :X

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Home Plex Server/ 1440p gaming @ 144hz

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/y3Rm68

most is already purchased and living in the old air/AIO case... I'm in negotiations with the GPU atm... let's hope origidude doesn't show up tomorrow.... or maybe my bubbling charisma can make me the preferred buyer here.... we shall see... pulled the trigger on the case tho...

Case: (I bought the last one.... possibly on the entire internet? :X)

https://www.performance-pcs.com/chassis/water-cooled-chassis/ek-classic-inwin-303ek-d-rgb-black.html

GPU: (hopefully the guy "supposed to be coming to get it tomorrow" like... loses his keys or something)

https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=12G-P5-3969-KR

So... the case kind of takes some of the "custom" out of it cause it's clearly geared towards a specific configuration... but we're doing hardline and I'll do a few fun things with that... so... yea... the case itself comes with its own pump and large distro plate on the front panel...

I'm curious if anybody would recommend a small reservoir at all or if the distro plate itself is plenty? ...also looking for a nice flow monitor with digital display ...and if you see any cool custom loop toys that I can throw in to jazz up what would otherwise be a pretty basic pre-planned CPU/GPU loop, I'd be much obliged to have a look-see.... I do plan to put the card vertical... I was gonna go a little more unique than this, but I really liked that case and it was seemingly the last one in existence.... so FOMO got me 😢 

Going to plan the actual loop after the case arrives and order after.... do they still make those helix reservoirs? Always thought those were cool and it may actually be functional since I doubt I need much of one if any anyways.......... decisions....

Just now, DrunkenPanda said:

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Home Plex Server/ 1440p gaming @ 144hz

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

most is already purchased and living in the old air/AIO case... I'm in negotiations with the GPU atm... let's hope origidude doesn't show up tomorrow.... or maybe my bubbling charisma can make me the preferred buyer here.... we shall see... pulled the trigger on the case tho...

https://www.performance-pcs.com/chassis/water-cooled-chassis/ek-classic-inwin-303ek-d-rgb-black.html

GPU: (hopefully the guy "supposed to be coming to get it tomorrow" like... loses his keys or something)

So... the case kind of takes some of the "custom" out of it cause it's clearly geared towards a specific configuration... but we're doing hardline and I'll do a few fun things with that... so... yea... the case itself comes with its own pump and large distro plate on the front panel...

I'm curious if anybody would recommend a small reservoir at all or if the distro plate itself is plenty? ...also looking for a nice flow monitor with digital display ...and if you see any cool custom loop toys that I can throw in to jazz up what would otherwise be a pretty basic pre-planned CPU/GPU loop, I'd be much obliged to have a look-see.... I do plan to put the card vertical... I was gonna go a little more unique than this, but I really liked that case and it was seemingly the last one in existence.... so FOMO got me 😢 

Going to plan the actual loop after the case arrives and order after.... do they still make those helix reservoirs? Always thought those were cool and it may actually be functional since I doubt I need much of one if any anyways.......... decisions....

Only 3k? That's almost reasonable! Can't be called wasting

but I'd recommend leakshield, they're pretty cool (linus made a vid on it if you want a review)

33 minutes ago, Finnegan1616 said:

Only 3k? That's almost reasonable! Can't be called wasting

but I'd recommend leakshield, they're pretty cool (linus made a vid on it if you want a review)

well... I mean... only $3000 for a case/loop/loop toys/GPU.... the guts will be harvested from the rig I rebuilt about 6 months ago... for no apparent reason other than I'm an addict :X

Leakshield looks pretty cool tho.... and I can justify it by claiming it actually does something other than exist

19 hours ago, DrunkenPanda said:

well... I mean... only $3000 for a case/loop/loop toys/GPU.... the guts will be harvested from the rig I rebuilt about 6 months ago... for no apparent reason other than I'm an addict :X

Leakshield looks pretty cool tho.... and I can justify it by claiming it actually does something other than exist

in around 4 months I'm making this https://pcpartpicker.com/list/LxngkX

about 1.55 years after that I'm making this https://pcpartpicker.com/list/phzT68

leakshield seems cool though, agreed

I also found out about Go Chiller's coolant, which has its problems, but also looks good in a water cooling system

20 hours ago, DrunkenPanda said:

Project: How to waste money being a nerd.... is underway

If you are going with intel and over the top on all these overclocking geared parts, will you overclock?

Would be an absolute shame to not overclock it esp with that extreme overclocking board, rams, and custom loop

Btw what is the purpose of building something like this anyways? A build competition or just wanting a unique build? It doesnt look like a pc that youd daily on considering the xoc board

2 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

If you are going with intel and over the top on all these overclocking geared parts, will you overclock?

Would be an absolute shame to not overclock it esp with that extreme overclocking board, rams, and custom loop

Btw what is the purpose of building something like this anyways? A build competition or just wanting a unique build? It doesnt look like a pc that youd daily on considering the xoc board

I've upkept this overpowered ass PC for 10 years now... it slowly evolved into this... I just enjoy it.... it's a hobby.... I've got a pretty decent overclock on it as it sits now with a Kraken x52 AIO on it.... will probably crank it a bit after the custom loop is done

Just now, DrunkenPanda said:

I've upkept this overpowered ass PC for 10 years now... it slowly evolved into this... I just enjoy it.... it's a hobby.... I've got a pretty decent overclock on it as it sits now with a Kraken x52 AIO on it.... will probably crank it a bit after the custom loop is done

Holy crap

10 years in the making of this pc

Could you tell us what upgrades you did overtime and what kind of ocing settings you have?

1 minute ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Holy crap

10 years in the making of this pc

Could you tell us what upgrades you did overtime and what kind of ocing settings you have?

Let's see here...

I started with an i5-2500k, 8MB ram, I think a Radeon 5570? some random mATX motherboard, Corsair 430w cheapo PSU, Azza Orion 202 case... 

- upgraded to a Corsair TX-750 PSU/EVGA 780 classified

- upgraded ram to gskill 16GB 1833 kit/Fractal Define R4/Enermax air cooler/added a Samsung 2.5" SSD

- added fans

- upgraded PSU to XFX 1000w platinum

- added another 780 classified

- changed cpu cooler to NZXT Kraken x52 AIO

- upgraded to i7-4970k/Asus Z97 Pro/m.2 500GB SSD/2x 3TB WD Red drives

- changed the case to a Corsair Crystal x570/all the casefans out to corsair RGB ones/changed server drives to HGST He8

- upgraded to Asus Strix 1080ti

- upgraded to i9-10900k/Asus Maximus Hero XI/32GB ram kit/m.2 1TB SSD

I.... umm... I think thats it for internals anyways... probably missed something... every couple years I peel the scab off and do some unnecessary overhaul

...and now I'm sick of cleaning this case and my buddy needs my GPU for his arcade computer... and I want to do a custom loop in it because why not.... I've done everything else with this setup 😛

I have no idea what the overclock is at RN.... I set it when I rebuilt like 6 months ago and its stable enough where I haven't had to check it.... which is a good thing IMO.... IIRC I got it stable at 5 GHz and left it alone

UPDATE: GPU HAS BEEN ACQUIRED!

EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Hydro Copper for $1650! I threw him $25 extra to ship it .... apparently the dude that was gonna buy it didn't know he needed a custom loop to run it...

Pretty

Damn

Excited

RN

😄

18 minutes ago, DrunkenPanda said:

apparently the dude that was gonna buy it didn't know he needed a custom loop to run it

Now thats alotta wasted money