SVM mode in win 11 causes FPS drops

Anwar_23000
Go to solution Solved by StDragon,
4 minutes ago, Anwar_23000 said:

what is GMET ?

Guest Mode Execute Trap (GMET)

From AMD: "A silicon performance acceleration feature added in next gen Ryzen™ which enables hypervisor to efficiently handle code integrity check and help protect against malware"

If your CPU doesn't contain MBEC or GMET extensions, then VBS is emulated. That has shown to have a major performance impact on older CPUs. Though less so with 6th gen.

Your 3200G is the latest CPU that would be emulating VBS. But the performance impact wouldn't be too noticeable; but there would be an impact regardless of how insignificant. 

Hi, i want to share my experience
for the past year i was playing league of legends i get around 300fps stable and valorant 200fps stable and my fps never drop in both games
3 months ago i installed win 11 and for installing it i have to enable tpm and svm mode in my bios , after installing everything i still get the same fps but with crazy fps drops i re-installed win 11 multiple times and update all my drivers and same thing fps drops so i switch back to windows 10 and i get the same drops every game, until i disabled SVM mode and FPS drops gone forever

SVM is required for VBS (HVCI). Though you shouldn't (in theory) be experiencing any performance hits if you're running 7th gen Intel or newer, or AMD Zen 2 and newer.

What CPU are you using?

Just now, StDragon said:

SVM is required for VBS (HVCI). Though you shouldn't (in theory) be experiencing any performance hits unless you're running 7th gen Intel or newer, or AMD Zen 2 and newer.

What CPU are you using?

amd ryzen 3 3200g

2 minutes ago, Anwar_23000 said:

amd ryzen 3 3200g

While that CPU is on the official compatibility list, the 3200G is based on Zen+ which doesn't contain the GMET (Intel calls it MBEC) instruction set for hardware accelerated VBS support.

In addition to what's been said already, why not wait and see a week when Windows 11 actually comes out? Right now you're using beta/pre-release software.

To build off that, I think many of us who have been at this for many years and versions of Windows, we're going to be waiting at least a little bit to see how things shake out. There is absolutely no rush to update to Windows 11. I fully expect to at some point, however. 

If this is a desktop CPU, then you might look into upgrading the chip for Windows 11. But I agree, let the official benchmarking show results on different CPUs before making that decision.

11 minutes ago, StDragon said:

While that CPU is on the official compatibility list, the 3200G is based on Zen+ which doesn't contain the GMET (Intel calls it MBEC) instruction set for hardware accelerated VBS support.

what is GMET ?

7 minutes ago, rickeo said:

In addition to what's been said already, why not wait and see a week when Windows 11 actually comes out? Right now you're using beta/pre-release software.

To build off that, I think many of us who have been at this for many years and versions of Windows, we're going to be waiting at least a little bit to see how things shake out. There is absolutely no rush to update to Windows 11. I fully expect to at some point, however. 

even in win 10 when my SVM mode was enabled i got FPS drops

4 minutes ago, Anwar_23000 said:

what is GMET ?

From AMD: "A silicon performance acceleration feature added in next gen Ryzen™ which enables hypervisor to efficiently handle code integrity check and help protect against malware"

If your CPU doesn't contain MBEC or GMET extensions, then VBS is emulated. That has shown to have a major performance impact on older CPUs. Though less so with 6th gen.

Your 3200G is the latest CPU that would be emulating VBS. But the performance impact wouldn't be too noticeable; but there would be an impact regardless of how insignificant. 

Edited by StDragon

1 minute ago, StDragon said:

yh i was using Guest Mode for my virtual box testing linux distributions and it works fine