Home theater couch/coffee table setup

Vipel

I looking at building/modifying a coffee table (example below) to hold a entertainment system.  The idea is the TV/monitor would extend out of the lower part of the table when the table is in the open position.  From my rough layout I should be able to fit a 24" TV or monitor into a design like this.  Where I would like help is suggestions of how to fit into about a $400US budget while optimizing picture/audio quality and minimizing overall volume of the equipment.  This set up will be mortally for watching movies, but would like to occasionally like to play a retro council on it.  I already have a blu ray player, and willing to buy a retrotink outside of this budget to get the retro councils to HDMI if need be.

Current thoughts: ASUS VE248H, BESTISAN SE01-D, and add sub to improve low end performance.

example of the coffee table: https://www.amazon.com/TANGKULA-Storage-Compartment-Tabletop-Furniture/dp/B0744B7PTW/ref=sr_1_26?dchild=1&keywords=Lift+Top+Coffee+Table&qid=1632745420&sr=8-26

Wants: VESA mount on TV/monitor, at least 1080P picture, HDCP support, response time<10ms (in game mode if applicable), good full range audio

Concerns: Leaving speakers in the table (especially a sub if selected) and affect on audio quality.

Reason for build: small house, need to stack room functions while maintaining child friendly area.

I plan on asking for the TV/monitor and audio solutions for Christmas this year, so final build will take a while to complete, but I plan to keep you all up to date as the build happens.

I would build the speakers into the unit itself, with mesh/grilles to allow the sound to escape.  If volume is the concern, I would opt for a headset.  Can always get a BT headset and a cheap 2.1 setup to give yourself both options.

Not really much to advise on picture/audio quality--as those are primarily functions of what stuff you buy.  I would take 2.1 over a soundbar, but that's me.

Also, you could mount the TV facing upwards with a glass panel over the face.  Then you can put the hinge at the bottom end, and simply tilt the top of the table into a viewing position.  Might be mechanically easier to pull off.

Would look something like this when in the down position.

12343_1000x1000.jpg

I like the ideas.  Thank you.  I never thought about building my own speakers right into the table... I would expect that I could up my audio quality by building my own.  Also like the hinged style of TV deployment.  I think you are right in this being easier to build and will probably result in a larger TV install too!