Graphics Card keeps turning M/B back On from Off State

This one is driving me a bit insane trying to diagnose whether this a BIOS issue, a configuration/compatibility issue, or is a legitimate hardware fault on a new build.

Gigabyte B560M DS3H AC M/B

Intel Core i5-10400

MSI Radeon RX 6600 XT GAMING X 8G

Kingston Hyper X 16GB (2x8GB) HX432C16FB3AK2/16 Fury RGB 3200 MHz DDR4

Win 10 Home 64 Bit

MSI 650W 80+ Gold Full Modular (MPG A650GF)

The issue is, somehow the Graphics Card is "waking up" the M/B from the Off State and the system will go back from being Off to going almost straight back into booting into POST (and then into OS/Windows when the SSD is connected).  I've never heard of this through a PCI-e 16x slot and I can't see any BIOS settings that would stop a M/B "wake up" from the PCIe device signals.   The M/B will go to Off for about 2 seconds and being shutdown before then powering back On again without the user pressing anything.  This happens regardless of whether you use a Soft Off with Windows, a Case Switch Off, or even with the Case Switch disconnected and just use a flat blade screwdriver to manually jumper the pins to turn the M/B Off, and for that matter, even when doing a Hard Off by holding the Power Switch for 10 seconds.

The system behaves normally with the MSI Graphics Card either removed, or simply disconnected from the external power cable from the MSI 650W modular PSU which is why it seems to be a M/B taking a signal from this device to power back On again.   I don't get any Display signal from Graphics Card when the PSU lead is disconnected from it even though you would think it is still getting M/B power, but that might just be how MSI has designed them to work.

It happens regardless of which PSU VGA power lead you use, and happens whichever PSU VGA Power Rail is used.  I do note that the integrated RGB lights on the top of the MSI card + card fans stay on for a fraction of a second after the M/B turns off which seems to suggest there is a small delay between M/B thinking it is "Off" and the Graphics Card thinking it is "Off".

Both BIOS and vBIOS are up to date, and the same behavior happened before and after the M/B BIOS update.  Completely cleared/reset CMOS with the M/B jumper for this and still the same.

It happens even if turn BIOS setting to manually detect the PCIe as 3rd Gen (noting is 10th Gen Intel CPU on the B560M)

It happens just running a "bare bones" config with just M/B, CPU and RAM to give min hardware for POST (ie. Disconnected Case fans, Case pins, SSD, RGB etc.)

Can only workaround it by shutting down OS, in which it will Turn Off briefly, then uncommanded wake up again to On, with the user then needing to divert the boot to BIOS setup, and then manually turning the PSU Off to completely depower the M/B.  Very painful workaround other than just doing a hard power PSU switch off straight from the OS, which is not a recommended way to shutdown your OS!

56 minutes ago, chrome_wheels said:

Hey,

What kind of power plan do you have enabled in Windows?

Just the standard Power Plan, and no difference between Fast Boot On or Off

It also makes no difference whether the OS is installed at all so Windows/Power Plans does not appear to be a factor. The PC still will not stay powered off even with the SSD removed from the NVMe M/B port ie. Issue stays even when disable Windows.

One interesting further diagnostic is that the PC and motherboard will not Sleep from Windows either with the same power down/immediately power back up behavior, and powercfg /lastwake reports that nothing woke the computer up, even though at the hardware level it did.  Again that supports that what is happening is outside the Operating System.

• 2 weeks later...

Hay brudda,

Funniest thing I've got the same build in terms of motherboard and GPU and same thing happens.

Gigabyte B560M DS3H AC M/B

MSI Radeon RX 6600 XT GAMING X 8G

I've tested everything, tried a new power supply , tried turning off power failure boot in biois, checked windows settings,  tried with an without my m.2 with windows on it tried new ram, new CMOS battery , checked ram,  and fans and still.

I found that using alternate GPU's I tried a gtx 580 and 1070 both didn't have the same problem on the board it turned off without any issues.

Replaced the GPU from a the supply with new version of same type but issue is still occuring.

Did you find a solution to this problem?

• 1 month later...

Any luck solving this issue?
Having the same problem with B560M D3H and RX 6600.
Switching to different card helps, updating BIOS did not.

Got the same problem, RX 6600 and B560M D3H 😞  Any solving's?

• 1 month later...

Have the same thing. Has someone found out how to fix it?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Gents! Same problem on Windows 11

Gigabyte B560M DS3 MB

Intel Core i5-10600

GF 1650GTX OC 4GB

Kingston Fury Beast 8GB 3000MHz

EVO Labs 750W PSU

Any solution??? Looks like it's motherboard problem...