2 Fans too close

Mathantastic
Go to solution Solved by narrdarr,
3 hours ago, Mathantastic said:

There are a few things I didn't understand about your comment, first, what exactly is a push push and a pull pull?
You talked about moving a fan to the top front, I actually have an extra fan to put there, I have 3 extra fans actually lol, would that change anything about what you said?

Also I'm pretty sure the rear fan moves less air than the ones on the CPU heatsink, since its a much cheaper fan.

edit: I forgot to say that the fan connected to the heatsink is a 140mm fan, while the reer case fan is 120mm, so it won't fit in the reer of the case as you suggested

So when a fan blowing at and through an obstruction its called push as the fan is push threw an obstruction. And vise versa in pull.

So since your fan are blowing air from right to left, they are behind the heatsinks, and it's a dual tower. It's current config is pull, pull. Technically it's pull, push, pull. Because air is being pull through the first stack, then beening push and pulled through the second. But we'll just keep it simple with pull pull is the current config.

The case fans look like corsiar stock fans. They are fine and can brute force air movement. I believe they move up to 3200 rpm.  Although loud.

No it doesn't change anything about what I had said. All the config are fine in the end. 

The only thing that changes what I have is the fact your gpu is a blower style card(I didn't pay attention to this before). There for what I did say about adding a fan up top helps gpu cooling is void as your card exhuast out the back instead of into the case.

This doesn't mean you can't add one there. Just means it will probably be less beneficial to do so.

I recently bought a new cooler for my 5800x, its the Assassin 3 cooler, a big tower one with 2 fans, and unluckly for me, it couldn't fit, there is one fan that stays in the middle of the 2 towers, and the other one would hit the memory, but I noticed that if I put the secound fan in the other side, towards the back of the case, of course I made sure that that fan would now be turned backwards so that the airflow still goes the correct way, than it would fit, but that left me with 2 fans, the secound CPU fan, and the back Chasi fan almost touching each other, and that got me wondering, is that chasi fan gonna do anything? (first image) since its smaller and less powerfull than the CPU fan, and can it even hurt the performance?

Also on my case, there was space for a chasi fan, that I didnt put it in, cause I thought that it would create an airflow that didn't go through any of the hotspots of the PC, am I right in that thought? Or am I just overthinking it and I should put a fan there? (secound picture, the arrows show the airflow)

WhatsApp Image 2021-09-26 at 14.12.50.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-09-26 at 14.13.10.jpeg

I'd advise removing the rear chassis fan, as you're correct that it won't do too much with that more powerful fan right there. I would also not advise installing it in the top where you indicated, as I think the air will come in that upper front fan and right out the top one, contributing nothing to cooling performance. The "waste airflow" from your front fans and CPU fans should be just fine to keep the motherboard cool, and the blower-style GPU should grab fresh air coming off of that lower front fan and exhaust it out the back just fine. Maybe keep an eye on motherboard temps for a bit, just in case?

Agree, the two back fans are too close, u only need 1 of them, removing the one on the case is the best option. And I also agree with not installing it at the top space, it's just gonna mess with airflow, and not let fresh air flow to the front of the heatsink itself.

Any config change will be probably yield little change.

However you might be better off with your cpu fans in a push push rather than a pull pull config and leave the rear exhuast fan where it is. That is if you really want to have two fans on your cooler. Although it's not needed.

The current config is fine too. Even though the fans are close together. You just want to make sure that the rear exhuast fan can move a little more air than the cooler fans. 

Moving a fan to the top front... on the surface people think this a bad idea due to the thinking that its exhausting fresh air out of the system before it gets used, but I've seen lots of test that actually show lower gpu temps when doing it while cpu temps stay the same.

If it was my build 

I'd run only 1 fan on the cpu cooler( in the middle)

Move the rear corsiar to the top front 

Move the rear phanteks fan from the cpu cooler to the rear as exhuast on the case.

This will be the most balance and look the best imho.

There are a lot of options none of them are wrong.  Leave it change it its up to you.

5 hours ago, narrdarr said:

Any config change will be probably yield little change.

However you might be better off with your cpu fans in a push push rather than a pull pull config and leave the rear exhuast fan where it is. That is if you really want to have two fans on your cooler. Although it's not needed.

The current config is fine too. Even though the fans are close together. You just want to make sure that the rear exhuast fan can move a little more air than the cooler fans. 

Moving a fan to the top front... on the surface people think this a bad idea due to the thinking that its exhausting fresh air out of the system before it gets used, but I've seen lots of test that actually show lower gpu temps when doing it while cpu temps stay the same.

If it was my build 

I'd run only 1 fan on the cpu cooler( in the middle)

Move the rear corsiar to the top front 

Move the rear phanteks fan from the cpu cooler to the rear as exhuast on the case.

This will be the most balance and look the best imho.

There are a lot of options none of them are wrong.  Leave it change it its up to you.

There are a few things I didn't understand about your comment, first, what exactly is a push push and a pull pull?
You talked about moving a fan to the top front, I actually have an extra fan to put there, I have 3 extra fans actually lol, would that change anything about what you said?

Also I'm pretty sure the rear fan moves less air than the ones on the CPU heatsink, since its a much cheaper fan.

edit: I forgot to say that the fan connected to the heatsink is a 140mm fan, while the reer case fan is 120mm, so it won't fit in the reer of the case as you suggested

3 hours ago, Mathantastic said:

So when a fan blowing at and through an obstruction its called push as the fan is push threw an obstruction. And vise versa in pull.

So since your fan are blowing air from right to left, they are behind the heatsinks, and it's a dual tower. It's current config is pull, pull. Technically it's pull, push, pull. Because air is being pull through the first stack, then beening push and pulled through the second. But we'll just keep it simple with pull pull is the current config.

The case fans look like corsiar stock fans. They are fine and can brute force air movement. I believe they move up to 3200 rpm.  Although loud.

No it doesn't change anything about what I had said. All the config are fine in the end. 

The only thing that changes what I have is the fact your gpu is a blower style card(I didn't pay attention to this before). There for what I did say about adding a fan up top helps gpu cooling is void as your card exhuast out the back instead of into the case.

This doesn't mean you can't add one there. Just means it will probably be less beneficial to do so.

8 hours ago, narrdarr said:

I plan on changing that GPU, currently, that RX 570 is easy to cool, since it is an RX 570 lol, and it also won't benefit from the fan on top as you said, but I plan on putting a 3070 in there, when I do that I'll try the fan on top to see if the temps go down
thank you for the tips 🙂

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/28/2021 at 8:49 AM, Mathantastic said:

I plan on changing that GPU, currently, that RX 570 is easy to cool, since it is an RX 570 lol, and it also won't benefit from the fan on top as you said, but I plan on putting a 3070 in there, when I do that I'll try the fan on top to see if the temps go down
thank you for the tips 🙂

i have the same issue for not enough ram space how much hotter is your cpu compared to when it had one on the front?

Main:

• CPU
    10700k 5ghz All core 47 ring ratio 1.275v
  • Motherboard
    MSI Z590 A Pro
  • RAM
    4x8 viper steel samsung bdie: 4200-17-17-30
  • GPU
    Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming Oc
  • Case
    O11 air mini
  • Storage
    970 Evo Plus 500gb OS, Sn550 1tb, 860 evo 500gb, 2tb MX500
  • PSU
    RM750x (2018)
  • Display(s)
    Acer Nitro vg272up, Kogan 24 1080 120hz
  • Cooling
    arctic 280aio, EK M.2 NVMe Heatsink on 970 evo plus

Second: 
    Cpu: i5-8400
    Cooling: ID-Cooling Frostflow 120x
    Ram: 2x8gb 2666 c16 hyperx fury, tuned the absolute balls out of it but def not stehble.
    Mobo: Asus Prime H310M-K
    Gpu: Igpu
    Case: Coolermaster MB311L

13 hours ago, MingLee420 said:

i have the same issue for not enough ram space how much hotter is your cpu compared to when it had one on the front?

I never had one in the front, I just changed to this new cooler, before I had a very bad cooler that wasn't cooling my cpu properly, before it idled at 70~ degreens, now it does at 40-50. I guess you can call this still unideal, but on load it never goes past 80 degrees, so cooling is fine, I just posted this in case there was a problem there that I was not noticing

I'd just take the one next to exhaust off and move it to the front of the CPU cooler... This way you'll pretty much have 3 fans on the heatsink, with 3rd one being exhaust fan on the case since it's so close anyways. It'll suck basically all heat straight from the heatsink.

On 10/21/2021 at 4:33 PM, RejZoR said:

I'd just take the one next to exhaust off and move it to the front of the CPU cooler... This way you'll pretty much have 3 fans on the heatsink, with 3rd one being exhaust fan on the case since it's so close anyways. It'll suck basically all heat straight from the heatsink.

the whole problem was that I couldn't fit a fan in the other side, cause it would either hit the ram, or the side pannel
The exaust fan is a lil smaller, so maybe it would fit, but then the brackets to stick it to the heatsink wouldn't work, since the fan is smaller.