I need a new router.....

hunchback

I am upgrading my router from a dlink dir 655....it was just getting to old and slow. I only have a couple wireless devices but i want a router with dual band wifi, and one with strong range. I have tried the asus n56u and the wifi speed was just to slow ) : i have been thinking about getting the linksys e4200v2 but the reviews say it has mediocre range and speed on the 2.4ghz band. Which is a problem for me because i have a nexus 7 which i use for a lot of media consumption and it only has the 2.4ghz band in it. So if anyone has any suggestions that would be great.

Linksys E4200/EA4500 is at the top of my list for sure. I'd just recommend getting rid of their garbage cloud firmware after you get it set up though. I have both the v1 and v2 of the E4200 and respectfully disagree with the reviews. Mine is great for both range and speed. My house is large and has thick walls. My older router, which was a lso a dlink, could barely get through one room. But that's not the case for my E4200s. The router is set up in a corner in my basement and I get perfect signal from anywhere in my house. Besides, if Linus approves of them (http://t.co/6Dp6odnf) so do I.

I'm using the ea4500 which is nearly the same hardware. I find that the 5.0 ghz band has very limited range, actually it only covers my apartment by having the router in the very middle.The 2.4 isn't as bad, but still worse than other routers I've used. I see around 25MB/s on 5.0 and around 5.5MB/s on 2.4. The speed is fine for streaming 720p, but if you really need the range then I would consider a different router.

in using a netgear wndr3700, its a bit older now but still very quick.

im upgrading to a Juniper SSG5 soon though.

Respect the Code of Conduct!

>> Feel free to join the unofficial LTT teamspeak 3 server TS3.schnitzel.team <<

>>LTT 10TB+ Topic<< | >>FlexRAID Tutorial<<>>LTT Speed wave<< | >>LTT Communies and Servers<<

The Asus rt-N66U has been a brilliant router for me, especially after the upgrade to a modified (merlin) firmware build.

CPU: Intel i7 3770k @4.2 Ghz cooled by Corsair H100 | Case: Bitfenix Prodigy | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z77n-WiFi | RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1866MHz CL10 Video CardEVGA GTX 660 SC 

Power Supply: OCZ 550W | SSD: Samsung 840 PRO 256GB | HDD: Seagate 2TB | Monitor #1: Dell P2314H | Monitor #2: LG M2380DF | Monitor #3: LG E1960

Mouse: Razer Deathadder | Mouse Mat: Corsair MM200 | Keyboard: Apple Wired Aluminium Keyboard | Headphones: Bose QC15 | Phone: iPhone 5S 16GB Silver

I'd go with the ASUS routers, quite impressive and increased internet speeds. Very reliable.

• 2 weeks later...
Linksys E4200/EA4500 is at the top of my list for sure. I'd just recommend getting rid of their garbage cloud firmware after you get it set up though. I have both the v1 and v2 of the E4200 and respectfully disagree with the reviews. Mine is great for both range and speed. My house is large and has thick walls. My older router, which was a lso a dlink, could barely get through one room. But that's not the case for my E4200s. The router is set up in a corner in my basement and I get perfect signal from anywhere in my house. Besides, if Linus approves of them (http://t.co/6Dp6odnf) so do I.
Thank man, i have now made my decision

I recommend the TP-Link TL-WR1043ND, a personal favourite.

I have 2 of these running running DD-WRT for more than 2 years now without problems.

Go with an Asus rt-n66u or rt-ac66u both are good either way you go even though AC isn't completely necessary at this point.

I bought a Asus n56u but it sucked so hard i downgraded to my old D-Link. But i only use them as a switch/accespoint so i dont know how well they do the "routing"

• 2 months later...

I love my new Asus RT-N66U Dark Night, it's a best but it's pricy, ($200 CDN)