Questions for engineers

loadironmania

So I'm studying for the entrance exams for engineering colleges (JEE Mains/Advanced ,India) and i have some questions for some actual engineers.

• why are you an engineer?
  • what do you do day to day?
  • Do you think it was worth it?
  • what type of engineer are you ? (aeronautical,software,civil etc)
  • what is the scope (i.e job oppertunities) ?
  • any suggestions for an aspiring engineer?

Thank you 🙂 .

pretty simple,

1. I liked the idea to focus my life around my hobbies of crafting and building cool systems
  2. wake up at 10 - maintain stuff,  check monitoring, do some meetings on future systems, do some support, shift ends at 18, do some hobby stuff in the garage
  3. absolutely
  4. part Systems Administrator and part systems engineer
  5. what do you mean by scope ? how large the field is ? if so, then theres always new stuff to play with, and one of the most if not the most active community in the world
  6. do some field study e.g like go to a place of buissness and ask for a 1 day job presentation to get a view of what the job is actually about. Since reality can be somewhat different from whats written in the text book
    1. And my most important advice would be: Dont just focus on college the entire time youre studying, try to work part time as a working student in that particular field of study.

1. Yes

2.I worked in automotive industries so a lot of meetings and planing, now i work in R&D, so a lot of meetings and planing, some 3D 2D designing also system management.

3. Nope. I hate it and plan to switch for some of my hobbies (i have a small shop, so i also work with metal, welding, making stuff etc)

4. Mechanical (production) engineer, but mostly work project management for the past couple of years.

5. Also clarify scope. If you mean complexity of work that depends 

6. RUN 😄 

• Aptitude.  I'm good at it, the money's good, and I'm treated very well by my employers because of my skillset
  • Help design changes, help plan major initiatives in our company, actually implement the former, and help my colleagues do the same
  • Sorta?  It's rather soul-sucking, boring work, but the pay can't be beat and it leaves me plenty of free time to follow my own passions
  • software
  • My team is the team making all of the changes to our system and is the final line of support for any issues that come out of our production environment.  If something is changed or fixed, chances are we did it (though our scope is limited to application changes -- if something is wrong with a server or vendor integration, then there are other teams handling that)
  • On the software front, be proactive and never unlearn that skill.  Showing awareness of what's on the bleeding edge is something a lot of companies filter on.  At the same time, though, be wary of bringing those skills to bear on the systems you maintain.  Most software development is collaboration with people you may never interact with -- including your past self.  If you toss every hair brained, bleeding edge idea into your systems, the people left to maintain those systems will hate you -- and that includes your future self.  

#Muricaparrotgang

Folding@Home Stats | Current PC Loadout:

Small                        Bigger				Biggerer				Biggest
Fractal Design Focus G       NZXT H1				Lian LI O11 Dynamic XL			Fractal Design Meshify C
FX-8320                      Ryzen 3 3200G			Ryzen 5 3600				Ryzen 7 3700X
120mm AIO                    120mm AIO				Custom 280mm loop			Noctua NH-D15
A motherboard                ASRock B450 mobo			MSI x570 mobo				MSI x570 mobo
16gb DDR3                    16gb DDR4 @ 3200			16gb DDR4 @ 3200			16gb DDR4 @ 3600
a melange of HDDs/SSDs       WD 1tb m.2				WD 500gb m.2				WD 1tb m.2/2tb HDD
PNY GTX 1070 x2              GTX 1070				GTX 1070 FE				MSI RTX 2080 TI
some 650w PSU                650W SFX-L 80+ Gold		MSI RTX 2080 Super			EVGA SuperNova 750w 80+ GOLD 
								Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD

• why are you an engineer? A: I like to create useful things. 
  • what do you do day to day? A: Staring at a computer screen and hacking away at things pretty much.  
  • Do you think it was worth it? A: I guess. At times it can feel loney though, especially if you work at home like me. 
  • what type of engineer are you ? (aeronautical,software,civil etc) A: Software
  • what is the scope (i.e job oppertunities) ? A: not sure what you mean. Plenty of jobs on linkedin and indeed for engineers of various kinds in the USA if thats what you mean.
  • any suggestions for an aspiring engineer? A: Never lose your focus. Many people give up on unfinished porjects and goals or go in relentlessly in the beginning but in the end burned out. Everyone starts somewhere but need time to develop. Find what you like and constantly improve on it by setting aside an hour or two a day to learn, research, and network with those already in the industry. Slowly but steady, you will eventually reach there.  

Sudo make me a sandwich 

On 9/25/2021 at 4:48 PM, loadironmania said:

why are you an engineer?

My father is an engineer too and as a kid I liked to watch him repairing/fixing broken things from my family. That's magic!
Also you can be creative, you get new challenges everyday and i prefer that over a boring job where you just do the same stuff everyday.
Also the money is good.

what do you do day to day?

Some physicist are looking for ways to improve their experiments further and further and if they need a special device for that, I build it.
So I plan it, I design it, I build the harware, I program the software, I test it, I make it work and I document everything.

what type of engineer are you ?

Electrical engineer.

what is the scope (i.e job oppertunities) ?

Electronics are everywhere, so I can work where ever electronics are needed.
But I specialized on IT, so internet protocols, programming, databases, ...

any suggestions for an aspiring engineer?

There will be bad days where you are searching errors for a long time until you find them.

Just stay calm, isolate the errors systematically, so you get closer and closer until you get them.

And dont be affraid to ask experienced people for help.

My build:

CPU

Intel Core i7 9700 8x 3.00GHz So.1151

CPU cooler

be quiet! Shadow Rock Slim

Motherboard

MSI B360-A PRO Intel B360 So.1151 Dual Channel DDR4 ATX

RAM

16GB (4x 4096MB) HyperX FURY black DDR4-2666

GPU

8GB Gigabyte GeForce RTX2070 WindForce 2X 3xDP/HDMI

SSD

500GB Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 2280

HDD

4000GB WD Red WD40EFRX Intellipower 64MB 3.5" (8.9cm) SATA 6Gb/s

Power Supply

bequiet! Straight Power 750W Platinum

Case

Fractal Design Define R6
3x bequiet! Silent Wings 3 PWM

1. I had a knack for math/science in middle school and my father being an electrical engineer himself encouraged me into it. Since then I've fostered my own appreciation for hardware/software design. Plus it pays pretty well.

2. I was primarily a hardware resident engineer in the automotive industry but have recently moved to a new company as an embedded software engineer working on vehicle Qi wireless charging.

3. Sit in MS Teams meetings for a good chunk of the day, track engineering progress/changes, reviewing SW application manuals, flash some parts and do HW/SW validation, and try to sell our module to new customers.

4. Electrical Engineer turned Software Engineer

5. Electrical/Software engineering is great. From my experience in the automotive industry they are scrambling for engineers of all disciplines. Applications they are looking for are embedded systems, application software/infotainment, vehicle communications, HW/PCB design engineers, EV/HEV and high-voltage systems, Assisted Driver-assistance systems (ADAS), vehicle autonomy, drive-by-wire, and general electrification of vehicles. 

6. Never be afraid to ask questions. Find some office-friends to shoot the breeze with (even if they're double your age). Keep a daily journal or list of completed/in-tasks. Learn about the products/programs outside your group. When you get flustered take a deep breath, take a step back, and break down the problem step by step.

Professional engineer is going to be easier in some ways and more difficult than others compared to your studies. But keep up your passion, don't be afraid of change, and always be ready to learn. You'll have a fantastic career in engineering I'm sure of it.