Phenom II X4 955 vs. FX-8320

Currently I run a personal Minecraft Java server with a Phenom II X4 955. I recently got an FX-8320 with compatible motherboard, and as AM3 CPUs work in AM3+ sockets, I'm not sure which I should use.

For MC Java single-thread performance is king, and I'm not sure which is better in this case. Online benchmarks haven't been very helpful, so I've come here.

Both CPUs will be running on a Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3, or a Gigabyte 990FX Ultra Durable 3, if that helps.

I'm currently using what looks like a Hyper 212 except with push/pull 80mm fans. It cools my X4 955 very well with temps barely cracking 60C under full Cinebench R23.

Thank you! If you need any more information I'm happy to provide.

elephants

The 955 hands down for that (Better single theaded performance). 
If it needs multiple cores to get the best then the 8320 would be what to use.
Try them both but I believe the 955 is the better of the two for that purpose.

As for the 8320, no harm in having a little fun with it if you don't use it you know.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

3 minutes ago, Beerzerker said:

The 955 hands down for that (Better single theaded performance). 
If it needs multiple cores to get the best then the 8320 would be what to use.
Try them both but I believe the 955 is the better of the two for that purpose.

As for the 8320, no harm in having a little fun with it if you don't use it you know.

I know that Bull-loser CPUs are pretty bad, but does the 8320 actually have worse single-core performance than a 955? The FX is 3 years newer, on a smaller process node, with a much higher frequency, and way more cache.

11 minutes ago, Beerzerker said:

I think for now I'll put the new parts in an antistatic bag and set them aside until I don't have school to do, but once I have time I'm going to play around with overclocking and see how far I can get.

I'm also curious how far I can push my X4 955 - I hit a wall around 4.4 GHz but I'm not sure if that's a problem with power or a limitation of the silicon.

I'm also going to OC my RAM because why not? More faster = more better!

elephants

1 hour ago, FakeKGB said:

I'm also curious how far I can push my X4 955 - I hit a wall around 4.4 GHz but I'm not sure if that's a problem with power or a limitation of the silicon.

Limitation. Phenom II was not a 5ghz chip. 4.2ghz if stable is decent. 4.4ghz sounds like a max attempt though. Doubt the stability. Want faster, gotta go to chilling + volts. These are not Cold bugged I've run a few with full pot LN2 (so has Beerzerker I'm sure). DryIce is cheap and easily accessible to you, just head over to Meijer and they keep it by the service desk. (If you go full out OC of course. Need pointers, just ask dude.)

A 4ghz Phenom II has the same IPC of a 5ghz FX chip. Fairly close to 1000mhz in IPC difference basically. So really the FX-8320 would be a better chip, but only for that core count.

Really a 1090T would be an ideal chip imo (Or 1100T) If you was to use this daily, but I know you have some Ryzen gear, so probably won't need it I suppose.