New PC, BSOD while playing games

Frano121
Go to solution Solved by Frano121,

After disabling CBS I didn't get any BSOD while playing games. This seems to be a common problem with 5th gen Ryzen processors 

• OS - Windows 10
  • x64
  • New Hardware (MotherBoard, RAM, CPU)
  • Age of OS installation - fresh install of Windows 10 (this happened also before fresh install)
  • CPU model - Ryzen 5800x
  • Video Card model - Palit GeForce GTX 1080
  • MotherBoard - ASRock X570 Taichi 
  • Power Supply - SeaSonic FOCUS GX 550 W 80+ Gold
  • RAM - G.Skill 3600Mhz Ripjaws V, F4-3600C16D-32GVKC
  • Desktop

I have tried turning off XMP, and I've tried stress testing by running FurMark and prime95 together and it didn't BSOD. Only when I play games. I can try stress testing it for longer.

I did not overclock anything.

Thank you in advance.

SysnativeFileCollectionApp.zip

IMG_20210922_193222.jpg

If the pc is brand new just retrun it to where you got it. Its a brand new machine and isnt supposed to bsod

5 minutes ago, emosun said:

If the pc is brand new just retrun it to where you got it. Its a brand new machine and isnt supposed to bsod

I've built the PC myself, I don't know which part to return. Should I return all of them? The GPU, PSU aren't new

11 minutes ago, Frano121 said:

I've built the PC myself, I don't know which part to return. Should I return all of them? The GPU, PSU aren't new

No.

What games do you play? It could be an anti-cheat engine that messed up a base part of your OS.

R U L E  # 1   A b o u t   M e:   I   u s u a l l y   g i v e   D U M B   a d v i c e   a n d   y o u   s h o u l d   n o t   l i s t e n   t o  m e.

16 minutes ago, birdflyer said:

No.

What games do you play? It could be an anti-cheat engine that messed up a base part of your OS.

Valheim (crashes), No Mans Sky (crashes), League of Legends (used to crash)

12 minutes ago, Frano121 said:

Valheim (crashes), No Mans Sky (crashes), League of Legends (used to crash)

I would try this, install Linux on an old drive or on a partition on your current drive.

Next, as Velheim, and No man's sky are available on Linux through Steam (using the proton compatibility layer); install on Linux and see if you have the same issues. If you do, it's likely your drive, or another component.

My recommended Linux distros:

Zorin OS: https://zorin.com/os/

Mint OS: https://linuxmint.com/

Ubuntu: https://ubuntu.com/download/desktop

Fedora: https://getfedora.org/

If you don't know how to install Linux, there are bunches of videos online.

If running it on Linux works, I would:

1: Consider running Linux full time if you at all can.

2: Reinstall, a completely fresh version of Windows.

3:Once that fresh version of Windows is installed, install the games but only the games (no other programs) and see if you have the same issues. If you don't it's a possibility that one of your other programs was causing it to crash (although a pretty slim one).

R U L E  # 1   A b o u t   M e:   I   u s u a l l y   g i v e   D U M B   a d v i c e   a n d   y o u   s h o u l d   n o t   l i s t e n   t o  m e.

51 minutes ago, birdflyer said:

I would try this, install Linux on an old drive or on a partition on your current drive.

Next, as Velheim, and No man's sky are available on Linux through Steam (using the proton compatibility layer); install on Linux and see if you have the same issues. If you do, it's likely your drive, or another component.

My recommended Linux distros:

Zorin OS: https://zorin.com/os/

Mint OS: https://linuxmint.com/

Ubuntu: https://ubuntu.com/download/desktop

Fedora: https://getfedora.org/

If you don't know how to install Linux, there are bunches of videos online.

If running it on Linux works, I would:

1: Consider running Linux full time if you at all can.

2: Reinstall, a completely fresh version of Windows.

3:Once that fresh version of Windows is installed, install the games but only the games (no other programs) and see if you have the same issues. If you don't it's a possibility that one of your other programs was causing it to crash (although a pretty slim one).

I tried installing Zorin OS on partition but there was an error during the installation so I just ran OS off of USB. I installed Crusader Kings III and I managed to play it without problems.

Tomorrow I will try to install PopOS and run Valheim from there.

As for other things you mentioned, I've already tried reinstalling Windows 10 and it didn't help and I already have only essential programs that I need for my work.

Before reinstalling Windows on my old hardware everything worked fine, but when I upgraded it (motherboard, RAM, CPU) it started crashing. I tried to reinstall Windows but it didn't help.

I need Windows for my work, I could try using Linux and running everything I need in a Docker but that would take some time and I would like to avoid it if possible.

Thank you for your time and help 🙂

8 minutes ago, Frano121 said:

Thank you for your time and help

No problem 😀!

I would try wiping the ssd and (as you said) installing Linux again. If it doesn't work, there is a chance it's the drive. Otherwise also try running Memtest through ALL the tests and see if maybe there is something up with your memory.

Other than that, it could be your motherboard. Motherboards can still work if their damaged, but can do some weird stuff.

On 9/23/2021 at 1:05 AM, birdflyer said:

No problem 😀!

I would try wiping the ssd and (as you said) installing Linux again. If it doesn't work, there is a chance it's the drive. Otherwise also try running Memtest through ALL the tests and see if maybe there is something up with your memory.

Other than that, it could be your motherboard. Motherboards can still work if their damaged, but can do some weird stuff.

I've ran Memtest through all the test and it didn't show any error

image.thumb.png.bf68fff64c7a8774a2395b521ec1cfd9.pngI've also tested Anno 1800 on Windows and it also crashed. These are temps the PC had when the BSOD happened

image.thumb.png.deadf65da823dfc3a0df313dfb09c689.png

I managed to install PopOs and Valheim. I did the same benchmark on Windows and on Linux but I didn't manage to crash it again.

I don't understand what the problem is and it's frustrating

Broo, The ASRock X570 Taichi ATX AM4 Motherboard supports the AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor with BIOS version P3.40. If the motherboard is using an older BIOS version, upgrading the BIOS will be necessary to support the CPU.

50 minutes ago, FASTANDEXTREME said:

Broo, The ASRock X570 Taichi ATX AM4 Motherboard supports the AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor with BIOS version P3.40. If the motherboard is using an older BIOS version, upgrading the BIOS will be necessary to support the CPU.

My BIOS version is P4.60 (latest)

After disabling CBS I didn't get any BSOD while playing games. This seems to be a common problem with 5th gen Ryzen processors