Core i9-11900k Cooling

DBiO

There seems to be a disconnect here. Everyone says that I need a 360mm AIO, that this cpu runs hot, that it takes too much power. But mine is cooled by an NZXT Kraken X53, which is a 240mm AIO. I have some Deepcool RGB fans on it, and with a simple custom fan curve, this thing stays whisper quiet and peaks at 45 degrees C, even when under load. Thoughts?

Current Rig: Intel Core i9-11900k, ASUS PRIME Z590-V, 32GB DDR4, 2.0 TB worth of SSD storage, MSI GeForce GTX 1050 TI, all in the MSI MAG FORGE 100r chassis with Corsair RM850 PSU.

I did change my rig, I now run on the aforementioned i9 and even faster RAM.

Current Rig: Intel Core i9-11900k, ASUS PRIME Z590-V, 32GB DDR4, 2.0 TB worth of SSD storage, MSI GeForce GTX 1050 TI, all in the MSI MAG FORGE 100r chassis with Corsair RM850 PSU.

7 minutes ago, DBiO said:

There seems to be a disconnect here. Everyone says that I need a 360mm AIO, that this cpu runs hot, that it takes too much power. But mine is cooled by an NZXT Kraken X53, which is a 240mm AIO. I have some Deepcool RGB fans on it, and with a simple custom fan curve, this thing stays whisper quiet and peaks at 45 degrees C, even when under load. Thoughts?

Generally that chip runs hotter when it comes to thermal/performance in comparison to it's competitior.

In terms of everyone suggesting a 360AIO, I think many people don't realize that 360 isn't really a big bump up from 240.
As well as everyone is on a hate train for Intel, including me, just maybe for different reasons.
That chip does run hot, just not really justafiable for something in the means of "CHIP RUN HOT DONT BUY"

However, make sure that you are running "Multicore Enhancment" in your BIOS, and if you are, those are some pretty nice temps for a 11900k.
I am however assuming that the temp is stock and under no notible load.

The Big UwU - Wise Words
1. PSU Wattage =/= PSU Quality
80+ Certification doesn't mean shit.
2. Don't cheap out on the heart of your system.

"B-b-but it was 20$ @ 800w, it was a steal!!" - An idiot with a dead PC.
3. Do not buy for brand, buy for the product.

Every company makes their fair line of garbage.

Essential Buying Guides:
PSU
CPU Cooler
SSD (Outdated)

Thanks, it seems there's still some people who haven't stooped to screaming user error results in order to badmouth Intel. Cheers!

3 minutes ago, DBiO said:

Thanks, it seems there's still some people who haven't stooped to screaming user error results in order to badmouth Intel. Cheers!

I'll be quite honest with you, most of the time it is user error 🙂
But seeing that you are getting sub 60c @ idle, it's most likely not the case in this situation.

Most people are running these chips on the stock cooler that comes with it though, and compared to Ryzen's stock cooler, it's "sub-par"
I guess it gets the job done, but it's nothing in comparison to those that come from the red team, even if theirs aren't that good either.

I guess the idea of spending big bucks on the CPU and then throwing a 10-20$ cooler on it is the plan for most individuals tbh.
Seeing it more often than I'd like. 😢

The Big UwU - Wise Words

Essential Buying Guides:
PSU
CPU Cooler
SSD (Outdated)

On 9/21/2021 at 3:25 PM, Jorban said:

I'll be quite honest with you, most of the time it is user error 🙂
But seeing that you are getting sub 60c @ idle, it's most likely not the case in this situation.

Most people are running these chips on the stock cooler that comes with it though, and compared to Ryzen's stock cooler, it's "sub-par"
I guess it gets the job done, but it's nothing in comparison to those that come from the red team, even if theirs aren't that good either.

I guess the idea of spending big bucks on the CPU and then throwing a 10-20$ cooler on it is the plan for most individuals tbh.
Seeing it more often than I'd like. 😢

The i9-11900k doesn't have a stock cooler. Intel doesn't package it with any cooler. 

Mine idles at 32C

1440P gaming at 165hz Ultra all day and I barely get up to 70C. 

(Not that anyone believes it but)

UserBenchmark put my I9 at the 95th percentile for performance. My temps are amazing, even while gaming.

I use multiple softwares to monitor, including Icue so I have visual cues on my keyboard.

I'm not sure where the seemingly invented HOT HOT HOT thing comes from. Has to be user error.

On 9/21/2021 at 3:16 PM, DBiO said:

Use good thermal paste, make sure you kind of push the cooler around on it as you tighten (to spread out the paste evenly) and monitor temps as you run high load software/games. I have had a 240mm on my 11900k and no issues at all. I upgraded to a 360mm, but only because it is more aesthetically pleasing for my case. No idea where the HOT HOT HOT concept came from. Also, it might matter, but i have my AIO in a push/pull config. With noctua fans on the hidden side. Always running silent.

2 hours ago, Merkil8 said:

Use good thermal paste, make sure you kind of push the cooler around on it as you tighten (to spread out the paste evenly) and monitor temps as you run high load software/games. I have had a 240mm on my 11900k and no issues at all. I upgraded to a 360mm, but only because it is more aesthetically pleasing for my case. No idea where the HOT HOT HOT concept came from. Also, it might matter, but i have my AIO in a push/pull config. With noctua fans on the hidden side. Always running silent.

Most of the ideas of the chip being hot came from the last generation being so good, while 11th gen being some what of a flop, alongside it's compettitor being much cooler.
It's essentially a 10nm core back ported to 14nm and something didn't translate there.

The Big UwU - Wise Words

Essential Buying Guides:
PSU
CPU Cooler
SSD (Outdated)