Scythe Mugen 5 Black Edition Temps with ryzen 5 3600 @ stock

EndofEra

Hey guys, I have just upgraded my cooler from stock to the scythe mugen 5 Black edition, as of the moment cpb is enabled in my bios but pbo is disabled. 
My temps reaches 80-85c when running prime 95 small ffts with an average speed of 3.8ghz and voltages around 1.2-1.3v according to hw info. 

At first this seems to be a great result for me however, one of my buddies that has the same r5 3600 uses a snowman t6 cooler that also shows similar temps, speed and voltage as mine.

Is this normal? I have tried to remount at least 2 times already, I seem to have even distribution of thermal paste, I use arctic mx-5, every application but we are still have the same temps. 

P.S. he uses a gd900 as thermal paste and he also has the same mobo but in its matx form (b450m steel legend) while I use the full atx version (b450 steel legend) and we both tried this with the same exact settings in the bios

Hope someone can help me here thank you

When looking at both coolers it does seem like they have quite similar performance. The Scythe has a bigger heatsink, but slower fans. In the end both are single tower coolers with 2 120mm fans, so performance can only differ so much. You really need something with a much higher heatload than a 3600 to bring out big differences in cooler performance.

I wouldn't read too much into prime95 temps. It's a stress test. No real workload will ever stress your CPU like prime95. Even my custom watercooled 5600X easily gets over 80°C in prime95.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

Just now, Stahlmann said:

When looking at both coolers it does seem like they have quite similar performance. The Scythe has a bigger heatsink, but slower fans. In the end both are single tower coolers with 2 120mm fans, so performance can only differ so much. You really need something with a much higher heatload than a 3600 to bring out big differences in cooler performance.

I wouldn't read too much into prime95 temps. It's a stress test. No real workload will ever stress your CPU like prime95. Even my custom watercooled 5600X easily gets over 80°C in prime95.

wow thank you for this, I have been bothering my self for the whole day thinking that I made the wrong decision of opting for a more expensive cooler. Btw yeah the mugen 5 is very quiet even on that 80c temp

On 9/21/2021 at 10:43 PM, EndofEra said:

wow thank you for this, I have been bothering my self for the whole day thinking that I made the wrong decision of opting for a more expensive cooler. Btw yeah the mugen 5 is very quiet even on that 80c temp

i have the previous gen non black mugen 5 rev-b

it's a well design heatsink, just that 1200 rpm fan is no good for static pressure

i just replaced the stock fan with my spare arctic p12 pwm

cpu temps went from 75c to 68c on p95

i use the stock kaze flex 1200 pwm fan as my exhaust 😄

image.png.04d7ec5dc02ed6ae9e04ea0d1986fcdb.png

it now lives in my nas

Ryzen 5700x + EK Supremacy D-RGB | 2x8 GB DDR4 Klevv 3200 MT/s | MSI B550M Mortar | Palit 3070 GamingPro LHR + Bykski N-PT3070PRO-X | Corsair RM750 | Alphacool EPDM + QDC | Aquacomputer Quadro + HighFlow2 | EK D5 XTOP | Freezemod 360 30mm rad + Barrow Dabel-20b 360 20mm | Barrow & Freezemod fittings | Corsair 5000D Airflow

Audio: beyerdynamic DT 900 Pro X + iFi ZEN Air DAC + Razer Seiren Mini

10 hours ago, fonzz1e said:

i have the previous gen non black mugen 5 rev-b

it's a well design heatsink, just that 1200 rpm fan is no good for static pressure

i just replaced the stock fan with my spare arctic p12 pwm

cpu temps went from 75c to 68c on p95

i use the stock kaze flex 1200 pwm fan as my exhaust 😄

image.png.04d7ec5dc02ed6ae9e04ea0d1986fcdb.png

it now lives in my nas

I almost have the same setup, I am also using arctic p12s on the heatsink, in fact I have 2 of them right now but my temps still reach 80c

9 hours ago, EndofEra said:

I almost have the same setup, I am also using arctic p12s on the heatsink, in fact I have 2 of them right now but my temps still reach 80c

that's odd, I did set mine to 1.25v at 4300 mhz

you can use ryzen master to tune voltages / clocks before u apply changes in Bios 

Ryzen 5700x + EK Supremacy D-RGB | 2x8 GB DDR4 Klevv 3200 MT/s | MSI B550M Mortar | Palit 3070 GamingPro LHR + Bykski N-PT3070PRO-X | Corsair RM750 | Alphacool EPDM + QDC | Aquacomputer Quadro + HighFlow2 | EK D5 XTOP | Freezemod 360 30mm rad + Barrow Dabel-20b 360 20mm | Barrow & Freezemod fittings | Corsair 5000D Airflow

4 minutes ago, fonzz1e said:

that's odd, I did set mine to 1.25v at 4300 mhz

you can use ryzen master to tune voltages / clocks before u apply changes in Bios 

I have tried to using either the bios settings or the ryzen master software but the temps are still the same and my voltages still fluctuates to 1.4v 

2 minutes ago, EndofEra said:

I have tried to using either the bios settings or the ryzen master software but the temps are still the same and my voltages still fluctuates to 1.4v 

I had your same issue before I lock my voltages

11 minutes ago, fonzz1e said:

I had your same issue before I lock my voltages

ohhh okay, I guess all I can do now is to tinker with voltages in the bios, anyway thanks for the insight it is really helpful

1 hour ago, EndofEra said:

ohhh okay, I guess all I can do now is to tinker with voltages in the bios, anyway thanks for the insight it is really helpful

yup, try tweaking in ryzen master with cinebench r20 running

once that setting works, I use prime95 small fft to stress test for about 60 mins... then once everything is stable I apply the setting in my bios ✌️

On 9/24/2021 at 11:44 AM, fonzz1e said:

yup, try tweaking in ryzen master with cinebench r20 running

once that setting works, I use prime95 small fft to stress test for about 60 mins... then once everything is stable I apply the setting in my bios ✌️

well I tried to put it at 3.9ghz @ 1.2v and it immediately reached 90c when I ran prime 95 so I dont really know what to do about it anymore

2 minutes ago, EndofEra said:

well I tried to put it at 3.9ghz @ 1.2v and it immediately reached 90c when I ran prime 95 so I dont really know what to do about it anymore

Tighten the ram side screw first when mounting and look at the wattage from hwinfo64 while running prime95. Also prime 95 alone does not tell that much. Smallest fft will bring you high temps even with 1.2V.

I am using hwinfo64 for monitoring temps, voltages and clock speed and prime 95 stress test might be too much but I am also getting temps up to 70c while playing pc building sim. I seem to notice too that the heatsink of the cooler is not getting that warm even during this temps.

I have tried tightening the ram side and the vrm side screw first with 2 of the remounts that I have done but temps are still the same.