Random shutdowns

Beto Wars

hi i am experiencing reboots on my pc, many times on IDLE. The PSU Corsair AX860 is 9 years old, it has happened 3 times in 2 days, sometimes it does not reboot and I have to disconnect it until the RGB of the motherboard turns off to reconnect it and make it turn on. I should mention that there is no GROUND in the plug it is connected to, could that be the cause? It has been connected for a long time without ground. Or can it be the PSU?

Another peculiarity about my PC, I adapted a 12V generic electronics fan directly to a MOLEX connector, to cool the graphics card since one of the fans stopped working

Components on my PC:

motherboard: Asus X470 Prime
AMD Ryzen 7 2700X CPU
RAM Corsair 32GB
GPU: Nvidia GTX980
PSU: Corsair AX860 80Plus Platinum

Thx for all the help!

I don't like jumping to blaming the PSU unless the machine is hard shutting down requiring the switch to be flipped to get the machine to boot again. That is usually required when OCP or OVP trips. When I first built my B550 system it was very early on using the first available BIOS and this happened often it some games. Many BIOS updates later and its completely stopped.

It could very well still be a bad PSU though.

6 hours ago, Mel0nMan said:

I would assume it would be a PSU issue - as that PSU is, as you said, a good bit aged. Issue most likely isn't the plug, but has the plug changed? Did it used to be plugged into a grounded plug but now isn't? 

it has been connected to that plug for 4 or 5 years, or at least not grounded plugs in the same room, the recent change was the 12v Fan not made for a PC connected via molex, or it was, i disconnected it now, the  GPU even working with just one fan of two didnt go beyond 80 C, a bit toasty but not terrible, hoping to not have more reboots

20210920_033822.jpg

20210920_033916 (2).jpg

Reboots in idle usually indicate RAM or CPU instability. Try disabling RAM XMP profile to let it run at stock frequency and see if it helps, disable any OC on the CPU too. Or basically just reset the BIOS altogether so everything would be in stock.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

6 hours ago, rickeo said:

I don't like jumping to blaming the PSU unless the machine is hard shutting down requiring the switch to be flipped to get the machine to boot again. That is usually required when OCP or OVP trips. When I first built my B550 system it was very early on using the first available BIOS and this happened often it some games. Many BIOS updates later and its completely stopped.

It could very well still be a bad PSU though.

sorry, need to ask what is OCP and OVP 😛 im not an english speaker, its harder to identify the terms! The PSU is one of the few components that i didnt update when i build the PC a couple of years back.

Some of the times i really need to switch off the PSU for like 30 seconds to make the PC turn on, it also happens when i just try to switch on the PC, no reboot before or anything.

Im a bit scared of updating the BIOS, I tried to update it, I had noticed that if I moved the mouse while in the bios the PC would freeze, it occurred to me to move it without thinking while the BIOS was being updated and the PC stopped responding, so I called amazon, where I bought it, they told me to call ASUS Since more than 3 months had passed since I bought it, ASUS told me that the serial number did not correspond to a motherboard in my country, so they did not want to answer for it. Luckily Amazon helped me and replaced the MB when I told them this, with an equal one, only asking  to return the bricked one.

6 minutes ago, Juular said:

Reboots in idle usually indicate RAM or CPU instability. Try disabling RAM XMP profile to let it run at stock frequency and see if it helps, disable any OC on the CPU too. Or basically just reset the BIOS altogether so everything would be in stock.

Ok! ill try that too! thank you!