Combined gaming pc/Nas with unraid

Blue300

Budget (including currency): Gonna be a progressive work so price/budget is not available/important

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: 

Most games, some minor server work

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc):

I currently have a Netgear ReadyNAS Ultra 6 (https://www.netgear.com/support/product/rndu6000%20(readynas%20ultra%206).aspx#docs) that I've had for years that I'm currently having a server pc reading my stored data from running ubuntu with a small minecraft server and plex currently running and last my gaming pc.

So the plan is to progressivly upgrade and integrade all three machines into one and watercool it with a custom loop.

I'm currently wheighing if ssd or hdd would be best for the final build, if I go for hdd it's probably gonna be IronWolf 14tb or 18tb where I'm probably gonna have 2 dedicated gaming VMs one for playing on my monitors and one for playing VR. And then use the plugin for plex and a vm for linux.

What I have already for the build is: case, water loop for the parts in my current server pc (except for the gpu).

How my plan looks so far: moving the parts from my current server pc, buy as many drives as I can at that moment and install unraid and transfer my current stored data from my NAS and at a later time upgrade the old parts, possibly run a threadripper/epyc/other kind of high core cpu and progressivly add more storage.

So my questions are at the moment:

Would my system run better off of ssds, would I face problems going that route?

Would I face heavy latency running games off of this setup (I'm not really playing competitively)?

Lastly sorry for any misspelling (english isn't my first language) and if I missed anything I can privide any further information needed