Upgrade current system or purchase new build?

Enavin

Budget (including currency): $1500

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for:  Games

Other details : Have the monitor and the graphics card that I plan to carry into the build. If I build a new system I intend to give my current system to my wife to utilize and putting the gtx970 I replaced back into it.

This is my current build -- I have the CPU overclocked.

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Enavin/saved/cBhh3C

And this is what I have put together as an upgrade -- I intend to overclock this processor

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Enavin/saved/kH8pBm

What I am trying to determine is if it is worthwhile to upgrade my current system or build a new one.

I expect within the next year or so, or as soon as I am able to snag one, I'd like to put in an RTX3070/3080.

Critiques and suggestions are appreciated and it doesn't matter to me if the new build is AMD or Intel.

Thanks 🙂

You need to unprivate your parts lists on pcpartpicker.

lumpy chunks

Expand to help Bunny reach world domination

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

-Rakshit Jain

6 minutes ago, LloydLynx said:

You need to unprivate your parts lists on pcpartpicker.

OP, 5 minutes later...

spacer.png

Am I still to create the perfect system?! ~ Clu

Keep your expectations low, boy, and you will never be disappointed. ~ Kratos

Your current build is pretty good. Unless you need more CPU power, just stick with your current PC.

lumpy chunks

Expand to help Bunny reach world domination

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

-Rakshit Jain

Okay, so on the one hand... you already have a really solid build. I would just recommend upgrading the cpu & motherboard, and you're good to go.

However, if you want to hand down that PC and build a new one, you can do that, as well. Like I said though, your current build only needs a cpu & motherboard upgrade... So there's that. The PSU is actually a little on the lacking side, now that I look at it too, so maybe upgrade that and keep the one you had as a spare?

Here's what I came up with, if you plan on building a whole new pc anyways.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/sG3Z68

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($389.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black 82.51 CFM CPU Cooler  ($99.95 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI MPG B550 GAMING EDGE WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($189.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  ($140.25 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital SN750 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Blue 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($94.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8 GB VENTUS XS OC Video Card  (Purchased For $0.00)
Case: Corsair iCUE 4000X RGB ATX Mid Tower Case  ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Case Fan: Corsair iCUE SP RGB ELITE 47.73 CFM 120 mm Fans 3-Pack  ($74.26 @ Amazon)
Monitor: Samsung Odyssey G7 LC32G75TQSNXZA 31.5" 2560x1440 240 Hz Monitor  (Purchased For $0.00)
Custom: Corsair Fan Controller Commander Pro (CL-9011110-WW)  ($74.99 @ Corsair)
$1369.39

Edited by GeorgeMKane

Am I still to create the perfect system?! ~ Clu

Keep your expectations low, boy, and you will never be disappointed. ~ Kratos

1 hour ago, Enavin said:

Budget (including currency): $1500

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for:  Games

Other details : Have the monitor and the graphics card that I plan to carry into the build. If I build a new system I intend to give my current system to my wife to utilize and putting the gtx970 I replaced back into it.

This is my current build -- I have the CPU overclocked.

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Enavin/saved/cBhh3C

And this is what I have put together as an upgrade -- I intend to overclock this processor

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Enavin/saved/kH8pBm

What I am trying to determine is if it is worthwhile to upgrade my current system or build a new one.

I expect within the next year or so, or as soon as I am able to snag one, I'd like to put in an RTX3070/3080.

Critiques and suggestions are appreciated and it doesn't matter to me if the new build is AMD or Intel.

Thanks 🙂

Neither

Just keep your pc till next or next next gen arrives, 6 cores is still good enough for gaming

Though what are your overclock settings?

You may be interested in upgrading the aio (i suggest liquid freezer aios) and overclocking the cpu abit more

Safe volt ~1.52 (intel 14nm spec)

Try keeping temps under 80c but if you cant keep em under 80c id suggest max 1.45v or 1.4v instead

1 hour ago, GeorgeMKane said:

Okay, so on the one hand... you already have a really solid build. I would just recommend upgrading the cpu & motherboard, and you're good to go.

However, if you want to hand down that PC and build a new one, you can do that, as well. Like I said though, your current build only needs a cpu & motherboard upgrade... So there's that. The PSU is actually a little on the lacking side, now that I look at it too, so maybe upgrade that and keep the one you had as a spare?

Here's what I came up with, if you plan on building a whole new pc anyways.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/sG3Z68

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($389.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black 82.51 CFM CPU Cooler  ($99.95 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI MPG B550 GAMING EDGE WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($189.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  ($140.25 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital SN750 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Blue 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($94.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8 GB VENTUS XS OC Video Card  (Purchased For $0.00)
Case: Corsair iCUE 4000X RGB ATX Mid Tower Case  ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Case Fan: Corsair iCUE SP RGB ELITE 47.73 CFM 120 mm Fans 3-Pack  ($74.26 @ Amazon)
Monitor: Samsung Odyssey G7 LC32G75TQSNXZA 31.5" 2560x1440 240 Hz Monitor  (Purchased For $0.00)
Custom: Corsair Fan Controller Commander Pro (CL-9011110-WW)  ($74.99 @ Corsair)
$1369.39

Thanks for the build suggestion. I have saved this if I do indeed decide to go that route.

39 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Neither

Just keep your pc till next or next next gen arrives, 6 cores is still good enough for gaming

Though what are your overclock settings?

You may be interested in upgrading the aio (i suggest liquid freezer aios) and overclocking the cpu abit more

Safe volt ~1.52 (intel 14nm spec)

Try keeping temps under 80c but if you cant keep em under 80c id suggest max 1.45v or 1.4v instead

Since you're not the first person to suggest keeping my current system, I think I am going to play with the overclocking a bit more.

I was only OCing up to 4.2ghz or something similar. I didn't much much effort into it when I set this... and honestly hadn't looked back since I had setup the system since I knew at the time my GTX970 was my bottle neck.

I did bump settings up to 4.8ghz and so far everything seems stable. Going to run a few games and see if there's a noticeable performance increase.

8 hours ago, Enavin said:

I did bump settings up to 4.8ghz and so far everything seems stable. Going to run a few games and see if there's a noticeable performance increase.

I think these cpus have a diminishing returns zone at around 4.8ghz so i dont suggest raising freq any further unless you have a better cooler or your cpu is bottlenecking you

Then again 1.52v is prob gonna yeild around 5.4ghz so prob not very worth it