Question about Upgrade

n1dze

Hello,

I have a Ryzen 3 2300x, RX 570 4gb, 8gb 2400mhz and A320M-K PRIME build. In Rainbow Six Siege, I get only around 90-110 fps with frame drops, which I don't think is normal. I play it on VULKAN. When I am in a round my CPU is at 100%, RAM 95% and GPU at 70%. What should I upgrade first ? CPU to a Ryzen 5 3600x or RAM to a 16gb (x2 8gb) 3200mhz. 
I get lower fps than people with a RX 570 and Ryzen 3 2200g. (In GTA V, I get 40-50fps with frame drops and many lags in the esc menu, Fortnite (used as a test) around 60-70 with framedrops. I don't think it's just the GPU)

Edited by n1dze

Ryzen processors really like HIGH FREQUENCY ram. 2400 Mhz is not good. Your ram should be 3200 Mhz or 3600 Mhz, worst case 3000 Mhz. 

Considering the motherboard using A320 chipset and being a 2nd generation Ryzen, if you get 3200 Mhz working it would be great.

Next, hopefully you have TWO sticks of memory. Having memory in dual channel mode (using two sticks) will give you a boost of around 5-15% in performance just from having two sticks.

If you have a single stick of ram, you should get a second stick of ram, but you'd be better off selling your current stick and buying two new sticks at higher frequency.

I'd say probably not worth upgrading the CPU, considering the motherboard and the RAM, the 3600x would be held back even more by that ram you have.

I'd keep the CPU and consider selling much later the mobo, cpu and ram as a kit, and upgrade later to socket AM5 or to some B520/B550 motherboard and a compatible six core processor.

edit: note that A320 based motherboards will only have 2 ram slots, so you can't just add two ram sticks besides 1-2 sticks you have for a total of 4. You say 16gb (x2 4gb) 3200 mhz so that's why I'm saying it.

Also, if you mix sticks of different frequencies, all will run at the slowest frequency supported.

2 hours ago, mariushm said:

Ryzen processors really like HIGH FREQUENCY ram. 2400 Mhz is not good. Your ram should be 3200 Mhz or 3600 Mhz, worst case 3000 Mhz. 

Considering the motherboard using A320 chipset and being a 2nd generation Ryzen, if you get 3200 Mhz working it would be great.

Next, hopefully you have TWO sticks of memory. Having memory in dual channel mode (using two sticks) will give you a boost of around 5-15% in performance just from having two sticks.

If you have a single stick of ram, you should get a second stick of ram, but you'd be better off selling your current stick and buying two new sticks at higher frequency.

I'd say probably not worth upgrading the CPU, considering the motherboard and the RAM, the 3600x would be held back even more by that ram you have.

I'd keep the CPU and consider selling much later the mobo, cpu and ram as a kit, and upgrade later to socket AM5 or to some B520/B550 motherboard and a compatible six core processor.

edit: note that A320 based motherboards will only have 2 ram slots, so you can't just add two ram sticks besides 1-2 sticks you have for a total of 4. You say 16gb (x2 4gb) 3200 mhz so that's why I'm saying it.

Also, if you mix sticks of different frequencies, all will run at the slowest frequency supported.

Mb, I meant to say x2 8gb. So you think I should buy Ram for now and then upgrade the motherboard and cpu?

so it‘s higher possibility that everything is working bad because of the slow single channel ram?

Having a single stick of memory is a 100% sure issue. It's free performance you're not taking advantage of, by having just one stick.

It depends on the game. It could be that particular game really wants more cores, but you have both the CPU and the memory at close to 100%.  Have a look at the first video below, from around 3:30 onwards, to see single channel vs dual channel comparisons. You'll see in some games the framerate almost doubles, in others it's more like 5-10% increase.

The frequency also helps, see 2nd video below where you can see 2666 memory vs 3200 or 3600 mhz memory. The difference will be even more pronounced with your 2400 mhz stick.

If you don't have the budget you can buy a single 3200-3600 stick and run them both at 2400 mhz but ideally you should buy a pair of 3200 or 3600 mhz memory sticks. With the A320 based motherboard even if you buy 3600 mhz sticks, they may only run at 3200 Mhz and that's fine.

Your game may also run a bit slow if your game needs more than 8 GB of memory and it's constantly swapping to drive/ssd - if you think that happens, try lowering the video quality settings - even though the card is at 75%, the game may keep in ram a lot of textures to transfer into the video card as needed, so by reducing the video quality the size of the textures may be small and everything may fit into the video card's ram or less ram will be used by the game.

1 hour ago, mariushm said:

Having a single stick of memory is a 100% sure issue. It's free performance you're not taking advantage of, by having just one stick.

It depends on the game. It could be that particular game really wants more cores, but you have both the CPU and the memory at close to 100%.  Have a look at the first video below, from around 3:30 onwards, to see single channel vs dual channel comparisons. You'll see in some games the framerate almost doubles, in others it's more like 5-10% increase.

The frequency also helps, see 2nd video below where you can see 2666 memory vs 3200 or 3600 mhz memory. The difference will be even more pronounced with your 2400 mhz stick.

If you don't have the budget you can buy a single 3200-3600 stick and run them both at 2400 mhz but ideally you should buy a pair of 3200 or 3600 mhz memory sticks. With the A320 based motherboard even if you buy 3600 mhz sticks, they may only run at 3200 Mhz and that's fine.

Your game may also run a bit slow if your game needs more than 8 GB of memory and it's constantly swapping to drive/ssd - if you think that happens, try lowering the video quality settings - even though the card is at 75%, the game may keep in ram a lot of textures to transfer into the video card as needed, so by reducing the video quality the size of the textures may be small and everything may fit into the video card's ram or less ram will be used by the game.

Thank you so much !