ASUS B550 Motherboard refuses to update the BIOS through Flashback

I cannot get the BIOS flashback to work with my new ASUS TUF Gaming B550-Plus motherboard.  After following the instructions for USB flashback, the flashback light simply stays on indefinitely.  Specifically, it blinks three times then remains solid on.  It seems to be detecting a USB drive, since, with no USB plugged in, it blinks 5 times and remains solid, but it can't seem to find the .CAP firmware file.  

Here's what I've tried so far:

Various USB devices: 3 different 8GB 2.0 drives with FAT32, a 16GB 3.0 drive with FAT32, a 16GB microSD card with 2.0 and 3.0 readers with FAT32, a 128GB USB 3.0 external SSD with FAT32, and an 8GB 2.0 drive with a 2GB section partitioned as FAT, the other partition left unallocated.  All of these have been cleaned and re-formatted immediately prior to loading the firmware file.

Firmware: I've tried the most current version of the firmware from three different downloads, tried the oldest firmware version that supports my CPU (Ryzen 5 5600X), tried two other random older firmwares, tried firmware for the wifi version.  I've tried using the script they provide to rename the file, and manually renaming it.  I've verified a hundred times over that I do in fact have the ASUS TUF Gaming B550-Plus and that I'm in fact downloading the correct firmware for it.

Peripherals and hardware: I've tried it with everything hooked up (CPU, RAM, GPU, peripherals, leds, etc), I've tried it with no peripherals, but the CPU in place, I've tried it with no peripherals, no CPU, nothing hooked up except the motherboard power connector and both with and without the CPU power connector.  

Power cycling / order of operations: I've tried every possible (sensible) combination for the order of powering off, powering on, plugging in USB drive, and pushing the flashback button, with the same result every time.  Powering on/off here being with the PSU switch, not the case power button.

At this point I am well and truly out of ideas. 

The reason I'm trying to update the BIOS in the first place is because I can't get it to POST past DRAM and updating the BIOS seemed to be the only suggestion online for that, aside from making sure the RAM is compatible.  Just in case I missed something, my RAM is Corsair Vengeance 3600MHz in two 8GB sticks.  The B550-Plus motherboard and Ryzen 5 5600X CPU should be perfectly happy with 16GB of 3600MHz DDR4.

I'm looking for any suggestions at all, at this point my only guess is that my new motherboard is DOA, which would really suck.  Please take it easy with the tech speak though, this is my first build and I don't have all that much experience with PCs.

I have an ASUS Rog Strix B550-F Gaming mobo and just updated the BIOS three days ago without any problems.  Just got to make sure that you change the boot order to look for the USB first before the SSD.  Worked on the very first attempt.  Good Luck.

I bought a tuf b550m wifi and it did what yours is doing. In my case it was doa and I was refunded.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, 1x T30

Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14

Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3060/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770

Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

6 hours ago, kb5zue said:

I have an ASUS Rog Strix B550-F Gaming mobo and just updated the BIOS three days ago without any problems.  Just got to make sure that you change the boot order to look for the USB first before the SSD.  Worked on the very first attempt.  Good Luck.

I can't change the boot order, since that would require me to be able to access the BIOS menu, which would require it to POST, I think.

Have you tried resetting the mobo?  Remove the battery and let the board sit for 10 to 15 minutes give or take and then reinsert the battery.  Last ditch effort but anything is possible in this day and age.  Good Luck.

1 hour ago, kb5zue said:

Have you tried resetting the mobo?  Remove the battery and let the board sit for 10 to 15 minutes give or take and then reinsert the battery.  Last ditch effort but anything is possible in this day and age.  Good Luck.

I've now tried that, no difference unfortunately.  I think I'm just gonna have to call it dead and try to get a replacement.

u sure u renamed the bios file and it is for yourversion of the mobo, not v2 etc

Folding Stats

SYSTEM SPEC

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Motherboard Asus Strix B550i | RAM 32gb 3200 Crucial Ballistix | GPU Nvidia RTX 3070 Founder Edition | Cooling Barrow CPU/PUMP Block, EKWB Vector GPU Block, Corsair 280mm Radiator | Case NZXT H1 | Storage Sabrent Rocket 2tb, Samsung SM951 1tb

PSU NZXT S650 SFX Gold | Display Acer Predator XB271HU | Keyboard Corsair K70 Lux | Mouse Corsair M65 Pro  

Sound Logitech Z560 THX | Operating System Windows 10 Pro

5 hours ago, darkextratoasty said:

I've now tried that, no difference unfortunately.  I think I'm just gonna have to call it dead and try to get a replacement.

Good Luck

18 hours ago, shaz2sxy said:

u sure u renamed the bios file and it is for yourversion of the mobo, not v2 etc

Yeah, I checked both of those more times than one would consider reasonable.

I have the same issue with my MSI Tomahawk B550 and Ryzen5 5600x.... I don't understand why and I tried anything, juste like you 🥲

13 hours ago, Alestia26 said:

I have the same issue with my MSI Tomahawk B550 and Ryzen5 5600x.... I don't understand why and I tried anything, juste like you 🥲

I just replaced my motherboard with a new one, nothing else different, and it worked.  It was just a dead motherboard, unfortunately I don't have any recommendations, except get a new one.