LTT's servers

Mateeees
Go to solution Solved by LAwLz,
On 9/16/2021 at 9:33 PM, Mateeees said:

I would like to ask a very simple question. In older videos of LTT's server room it is showed that their servers run windows. I don't know if something have changed, but just why? I can't find a reason to do that. Even the warranty thing,RHEL solves that. If anyone could answer me please.

Because Windows is what LTT knows and it does what they want it to, to some degree. There are plenty of things they could do better in a lot of areas, but their lack of knowledge hinders them.

The OS used is the least of LTT's problems when it comes to servers, at least from what I've seen (which I must admit is fairly old knowledge at this point, since I no longer watch them).

There is no point in asking no this forum either because:

1) It's full of LTT fanboys that will always defend them no matter what.

2) Most people who post here (like 99,9%) don't know what they are talking about. At best it would be the blind leading the blind.

Besides, I don't know what their use case is but it is possible that windows is a good solution for them. Maybe they have a Windows domain? In that case I think you should use Windows server. 

I would like to ask a very simple question. In older videos of LTT's server room it is showed that their servers run windows. I don't know if something have changed, but just why? I can't find a reason to do that. Even the warranty thing,RHEL solves that. If anyone could answer me please.

I doubt they do.

If I had a guess, they have a single system running windows serverused to interface to the main servers, which probly run linux, maybe unraid?

Its probably so someone less savy can do something like check server status or something

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

That's a very broad question, but there are plenty of reasons why someone might want to run Windows on a server. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

uhhh, Windows Server is a hell of a good OS that is run by millions of companies across the world?

Why wouldn't they use it?

14 hours ago, tkitch said:

uhhh, Windows Server is a hell of a good OS that is run by millions of companies across the world?

Why wouldn't they use it?

It's just more user friendly,i would say so really

14 hours ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

I doubt they do.

If I had a guess, they have a single system running windows serverused to interface to the main servers, which probly run linux, maybe unraid?

Its probably so someone less savy can do something like check server status or something

I am sure that at least their NAS runes on unRAID. But in the video the where switching the KVM switch and all of them were running windows

3 hours ago, Mateeees said:

It's just more user friendly,i would say so really

That doesn't make sense?

User Friendly is a positive.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with running Windows.

Over the last 5-10 years MS has made dramatic improvements across both the Desktop and Server OSs in order to stay relevant. 

Got a secondary box you're just using a HyperV CPU and RAM help?  Install CLI Server, and have no GUI overhead.

Got an embedded system that you need an OS that is easy to remote manage?  Win 10 IoT Installs are totally a thing.

Are there benefits to Linux or other OSs in certain circumstances?  Sure.

Is it worth the knowledge requirement over head to manage more than one OS?  Coming from someone who works in IT and has been in that department managing 4 OSs for servers?  Probably not.  IT SUCKS.

17 hours ago, Mateeees said:

You don't decide to run a specific OS, you decide on the applications that best meet your needs, and provide the level of support you need; then base it around that. 

One of their servers uses Adobe which is wholy a win32 application. Yes they could try run it under WINE, but why? What are the performance and configuration implications? If something breaks, who will look after it?  

They also use a mix of OS's on different servers depending on their needs. Their storage servers dont run Windows. 

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

On 9/17/2021 at 3:22 PM, tkitch said:

That doesn't make sense?

User Friendly is a positive.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with running Windows.

Over the last 5-10 years MS has made dramatic improvements across both the Desktop and Server OSs in order to stay relevant. 

Got a secondary box you're just using a HyperV CPU and RAM help?  Install CLI Server, and have no GUI overhead.

Got an embedded system that you need an OS that is easy to remote manage?  Win 10 IoT Installs are totally a thing.

Are there benefits to Linux or other OSs in certain circumstances?  Sure.

Is it worth the knowledge requirement over head to manage more than one OS?  Coming from someone who works in IT and has been in that department managing 4 OSs for servers?  Probably not.  IT SUCKS.

i would argue the GUI thing you said but ok. But if you have server room ,you have someone who can manage SSH,and that's just 10 time better then WRD.

How can you question which OS the servers run without questioning what the purpose of the servers are? Servers aren't just boxes running an OS, they run applications that serve things and you have to pick which one runs the applications you have. If the answer is to virtualize the required OS then you still end up running Windows if it's virtual.

your last comment about SSH, there are a million ways to connect to servers remotely, if that's the only query as to why they are picking which OS that's kind of a weird, the point of their servers is you rarely interact with it directly unless something is being done TO the server by the server administrator not the users. Users perform their functions on their systems and it connects to the served function of the remote server. You don't just RDP to the remote server and use apps on it.

On 9/16/2021 at 3:33 PM, Mateeees said:

So you don't know what you're talking about, got it.

Just because (variant of Linux) exists doesn't make it magic and god tier above all else. Everything has its cost and upkeep and if you don't have to spend time dedicating training and people to a specific OS then it's going to make sense to keep something more familiar around longer term.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

On 9/16/2021 at 9:33 PM, Mateeees said:

Because Windows is what LTT knows and it does what they want it to, to some degree. There are plenty of things they could do better in a lot of areas, but their lack of knowledge hinders them.

The OS used is the least of LTT's problems when it comes to servers, at least from what I've seen (which I must admit is fairly old knowledge at this point, since I no longer watch them).

There is no point in asking no this forum either because:

1) It's full of LTT fanboys that will always defend them no matter what.

2) Most people who post here (like 99,9%) don't know what they are talking about. At best it would be the blind leading the blind.

Besides, I don't know what their use case is but it is possible that windows is a good solution for them. Maybe they have a Windows domain? In that case I think you should use Windows server. 

• 2 weeks later...

IDK what OS runs on all of the servers (haven't actually seen too many of the server videos), but I'm pretty sure the editing team there runs Premiere Pro; and if they have any sense at all they're going to be using one of those machines as a Media Encoder server so their editors can keep working and not have to wait for renders. If that is the case, the server would have to run Windows, unless they want to use a super old Xserver, or a Mac Mini render farm or something like that (seriously doubt it). That would explain why at least one of the servers would need to run Windows.

But also I'm pretty sure I've seen videos where they've set up FreeNAS on a machine, and that's a BSD flavor, definitely not Windows. Seems like they're probably using a mix of OS on different machines.