First full custom loop build!

Imprezzion

As my EK Phoenix pump decided to die and I wasn't happy with my modded EVGA Hybrid cooler on my Gigabyte 3080 Gaming OC I decided it was time for full custom water.

Stuff I got:

- 10900KF 5.3 all core 4.6 cache 1.44v direct die (Rockitcool kit + retention plate)

- MSI Z490 Ace

- 2x16GB G.Skill Trident-Z Neo 3600C16 B-Die 4200 16-17-17-35-300-2T with super tight subtimings 1.50v DRAM 1.35v SA 1.25v IO.

- Gigabyte 3080 Gaming OC with Aorus Master BIOS for a bit more power limit.

- Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X modded with big cutouts top and front for airflow.

- Seasonic Prime Ultra 1000w Gold + Cablemod SE/RT cables.

- 970 EVO 1TB+500GB + 2x 500GB 850 EVO.

Stuff I bought for the loop:

- EK XRES 140 REVO RGB w/ Sleeved D5 (used).

- HWLabs Nemesis GTX 420 front + 240 top. (New)

- Alpenfohn Wing Boost 3 fans push-pull both rads. (New)

- Byksky 3080 Gaming OC full cover block + passive backplate. (New from AliExpress)

- The EK Supremacy EVO that came on the Phoenix kit is re-used.

- Mayhems Ultra Clear tubing 16/10 (5/8 OD 3/8 ID) because those are the fittings that came with the Supremacy EVO.

- Mayhems X1 5L coolant.

- EK Quantum Torque straight fittings.

- Alphacool HF 45's.

- Alphacool Eiszapfen 90's.

- EK Loop Tools leak tester.

- EK Y splitter for the pump/res out.

- EK Quantum Torque drain valve for the Y.

Loop order:

Pump/res -> GPU -> top 240 rad -> CPU -> front 420 rad -> pump/res. All connections on the rads connected to HWLabs guide for IN-OUT based on airflow direction (a.k.a. OptiFlow)

Only had to use 2 90's (res IN and GPU IN) and 1 45 (top rad OUT) and flow is REALLY strong with the pump maxed.

It went together very smoothly even tho it's my first time actually doing a full custom loop after having used some semi-AIO's like the EK Phoenix and Swiftech H320 kits.

Had one leak, CPU block fitting backed out while messing with tube orientation but that was an easy fix. After that it held 0.75 just fine for 30 minutes on the tester.

Had another rather embarrassing issue with the pump making a LOT of noise. I bought it used and never checked or flushed it, previous owner had done a amazing job cleaning it so just slapped it in. Little did I realize the previous owner graciously left me a kill coil in the res. I didn't see it and it got stuck in the pump inlet and rubbed against the impeller creating the noise. Luckily no permanent damage and the poor D5 is almost inaudible even at full speed 4850 RPM.

Temp wise, it's amazing. Even with a 3080 @ 350w 2115Mhz 1.087-1.100v and +1400 memory it barely touches 44c. Hotspot 55c memory junction 76c. I used Bykski's own thermal pads. They could've been upgraded to Gelid Extremes and I should've but yeah. CPU temps are a different story. Even with a polished block direct die with Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra at an insane voltage like 1.44v it can still hit 80-82c in Cinebench R23. It just cannot possibly dissipate heat fast enough to the block. Temps just go there in 2 seconds but never go higher. They just stay there. At lower voltages it's much better. 62c hottest core Cinebench R23 5.1 all core 1.303v. 

The funny thing is, this combination of pump + rads + push pull on both is SO powerful running a CPU load doesn't even increase idle temps of the GPU, it just stays at 26c even with the CPU blaring away.

Raising the fanspeed from like 750-800RPM to 1050-1100RPM did nothing for temps. Literally nothing. 1400 RPM saw like 1-2c drop at best under a sustained load. These rads are so overspecced for this loop they are super efficient even at 600-800RPM with the push-pull config.

All that's left now is to make a new mesh front panel cover.

So in case anyone is wondering, yes 25mm fans with vibration pads DO fit behind a Evolv X front panel but for 3x140 you have to cut the top plastic bar away with the hooks right below the hooks. And of course open it up for airflow lol.

Curious to see what you have to say in the comments!

20210914_214721.jpg

IMG_20210915_142943.jpg

IMG_20210916_035308.jpg

Edited by Imprezzion
Added PSU and drives

Dude that's sick! I like the simplicity of it. This is a no bullcrap custom loop that gets the job done. Nice job

7 hours ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Nice system! It reminds me of the old school water cooled systems. The fan sitting on the GPU to cool the RAM is a nice touch. 

The fan is actually suspended from the top rad fan with some 90 degree brackets I made from a piece of flat bar in the garage lol. It needs it. B-Die hates heat and mine get unstable at 48c+ and with the being half covered by the rad and not getting hardly any direct airflow I need to cool them.

Only thing I still don't like is the return tube from rad to res. It's slightly too long so it won't sit straight and pushes the fitting at an angle. Ah the little things. Not going to drain it because of that lol.

My next project is helping a mate build a hard line loop in a O11D XL with a EK distro plate and acrylic hard line. Oh boi..