Xbox Series X vs S for a console newbie

Dhvcc
Go to solution Solved by Helpful Tech Witch,
4 minutes ago, Dhvcc said:

Yeah, remember this from the video, but how much really is 500gb? I've just checked and it's $350 where I live... these prices are crazy

Of you have game pass I gaurentee it’s less than you think.

I have a xb1x and it’s 1tb is always about 80% full, and I’ve got like 1.2tb of gampass games on my pc

Hello, I want to buy a console, but I've never had one really.

I don't have a PC and don't plan on building one in near future, because I don't spent much time at home mostly working in office

I need a console to play solo and with friends. I really like PS, but for now I'm more inclined to Xbox as it has a lot more games in it's GamePass

At this point I have to decide between Series X or S. In Belarus, X and S cost $844 and $450 respectively

I was told (and seen Linus' video comparsion) that S is much slower than X. But will it really matter? I'm not a hardcore gamer, never played anything apart from Dota/CS (on lowest settings) and I don't even have a 4K TV to begin with, only a 40 inch Full HD

I have money to buy both, but should I pay $400 bucks more for this perfomance?

I have no way of comparing them and renting both for a day will cost the same amount of money you spent a week or even more

Thanks!

Here’s the thing

the series s is digital only, and only has 500gb internal storage built in, while the series x has 1tb and disc support.

so are you ok getting a ssd storage expansion card for another 220$(us)?

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

Yeah, remember this from the video, but how much really is 500gb? I've just checked and it's $350 where I live... these prices are crazy

4 minutes ago, Dhvcc said:

Of you have game pass I gaurentee it’s less than you think.

I have a xb1x and it’s 1tb is always about 80% full, and I’ve got like 1.2tb of gampass games on my pc

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

Just my opinion but I hear me out.

1) Right now, and for the foreseeable future, new gen consoles retain a massive amount of their value when sold used (in good condition) because of the shortages. So if you regret buying either one, you can easily sell and get the other one. For a tiny cost or even a profit if you find the right buyer.

2) The value of having a Disc drive will increase with time as more current gen games (going for 89$ CAD before tax) will appear on the used market.

3) I think 2) is relevant because I see gamepass as a cost effective way to try out multiple games for a low cost and if you find one you actually love you can buy it's physical copy second hand for a lower price and will still be able to play if you stop paying for gamepass.

Ultimately, I feel in the current market the series X is the best option. Low risk as resale value is high, as time goes on the disk drive will help you save more and more, the 1TB SSD does it for me. I have students budget internet and having to delete and reinstall games all the time is a no go for me. 

Hope this helps ⊂((・▽・))⊃

On 9/15/2021 at 7:24 AM, Dhvcc said:

I'm not a hardcore gamer, never played anything apart from Dota/CS (on lowest settings) and I don't even have a 4K TV to begin with, only a 40 inch Full HD

Stick with the Series S then... provided you are able to get your hands on one.

Based on your post, you will likely not appreciate or notice the difference between the Series S and Series X, especially if you don't have a 4K or high-refresh rate TV.

I'd spend the extra for the Series X. For me the biggest downside of the S is the miniscule SSD. It's a 500GB SSD, but you're only getting something like 330 GB space for you to install games on. And we're in the era of 100GB games. E.g., the newest Call of Duty is like 110 GB. So you're going to end up buying a 1TB NVME external SSD for it and those run $200 in the US (no idea what they'd be in Belarus). And you can't go cheap on the SSD this gen, as the games are designed around having a really fast SSD in the system.

Not that the 1TB with around 800GB usable for games in the Series X is huge, but it's big enough to still have a decent amount of games installed at once.

Another huge downside of the Series S is the gpu is nowhere close to as powerful as the one in the Series X. You may not care about 4k and raytraced lighting and such, but I can't imagine you won't care when the Series S is struggling to play new games that really push the systems in a few years while the Series X still has plenty of headroom.

And finally, the disk drive makes the Series X a lot more interesting in my eyes. I see so many cheap XBox 360 and XBox One physical games and there is lots of amazing stuff to play in both libraries. Hell original XBox also.

Series X is just kind of a no-compromises system while Series S is something that looks cheap early on but might end up costing you more in the long run when you factor in needing an external SSD and maybe wanting to upgrade it in a few years while Series X is going to last you 7 or 8 years as a really nice console experience.

So I went with Series X, bought yesterday. It's more expensive, but I think it'll pay off in the future

Enjoying it so far. Already tried out MK 11 on a 50 inch 4k OLED TV, this was amazing, now I also  need to buy one 😅

Thank you guys!