How to use PTP mode on S21 for ADB?

Hey guys,

I want to get rid of the bloatware on my phone but somehow no device is shown in the ADB Devices list on my computer.

So I found out that I have to switch into PTP mode for my phone to get recognized.

Somehow no matter what I do no phone is shown in that ADB Devices list and I don't know what to do anymore.

Thanks

16 minutes ago, Hip said:

So I found out that I have to switch into PTP mode for my phone to get recognized.

I've never heard of this before. So I don't have any stock Samsung devices around here anymore, but the couple I tried real quick are recognized right away without even switching anything (they are are set to "No data transfer", no PTP, File Transfer etc, ADB works as soon as the cable is plugged in as expected).

First did you enable USB Debugging?  This is under Developer options. You need to do this first.

Second if you are in Windows, you need to have the drivers for your devices installed. This is one reason in all my LOS install guides I recommend people use Linux. ADB / Fastboot generally just work, no drivers to worry about. Here is my Lineage Install guide for my the OnePlus 6T  if you start at the Using Fastboot to install OOS section is talks about creating a USB drive with Mint and installing ABD / Fastboot, as well as updating those to the latest version if you need it.

Along those lines, ADB / Fastboot can give you issues if they are outdated.

Assuming you have USB Debugging enabled on the phone, my bet is it's a driver issue.

7 hours ago, OhioYJ said:

First did you enable USB Debugging?  This is under Developer options. You need to do this first.

Yes. 😄

Second if you are in Windows, you need to have the drivers for your devices installed.

Can you tell me which drivers I need to install on my windows pc?

if you start at the Using Fastboot to install OOS section is talks about creating a USB drive with Mint and installing ABD / Fastboot, as well as updating those to the latest version if you need it.

Along those lines, ADB / Fastboot can give you issues if they are outdated.

Assuming you have USB Debugging enabled on the phone, my bet is it's a driver issue.

Tbh I don't know what that is. I don't want any other OS on my phone just wipe the bloatware. 😄

6 hours ago, Hip said:

Yes. 😄

Can you tell me which drivers I need to install on my windows pc?

Tbh I don't know what that is. I don't want any other OS on my phone just wipe the bloatware. 😄

It wasn't about installing another OS on your phone. It was more just using Linux on your current PC temporarily for ADB. That guide for another device entirely, but as for getting Linux installed to a USB flash drive, and install ADB / Fastboot in Linux it will work fine. 

As for the driver, I don't know off hand as I don't have that device. If you Google it lots of results come up, but I don't know what is legit and what isn't.  I would probably have a peak over at XDA in your device's section and see if guides have posted links directly to drivers. Also I use Linux and things just tend to work without worrying about drivers. This was the reason I suggested temporarily booting up Linux to do this real quick so you didn't have to hassle with it as it will likely just work. (Could be as much work either way though depending on how you look at it I guess)