Why do most ThunderBolt docking stations suck so much? #cryforhelp

Hi Guys,

I have spent the last 2 weeks trying to figure things out, reading, checking, testing and tbh I've had enough.
I am unable to find a single Thunderbolt 3/4 docking station (that does not cost 1000 USD) which would give me: PD 65W, Ethernet, 2x USB (can even be 2.0) and DP with 4k/60Hz support, that "just works".

Everything either does not have PD, only supports 4k 30Hz max, doesn't have USB, or if it has all those things, it will have huge known connection/reconnection issues, flickering screens or some other problems.

Do you guys know of a good docking station (I have TB4 with 11th gen Intel Asus Zenbook 14) that would "just work"? 
I would be very greatful for any suggestions, as I'm already pulling my hair out here. I never imagined that now with TB it would be harder to get something working, than it was during the old Dell docking station times.

Cheers

My dad uses an HP G5 Dock and it seems pretty good to me. While I can't confirm it's specs, it has got 2 DP, 1 HDMI, 3 USB(Type A) port and 1x Type C which is capable of DisplayLink, 4K.

It supports 100W charging for my dad's HP EliteBook DragonFly Max(funny marketing lol). Essentially HP products enjoy 100W but non HP get 75W.

https://www.hp.com/us-en/shop/pdp/hp-usb-c-dock-g5

On 4/5/2024 at 10:13 PM, LAwLz said:

I am getting pretty fucking sick and tired of the "watch something else" responses. It's such a cop out answer because you could say that about basically anything, and it doesn't address the actual complaints. People use it as some kind of card they pull when they can't actually respond to the criticism raised but they still feel like they need to defend some company/person. If you don't like this thread then stop reading it. See how stupid it is? It's basically like telling someone "shut the fuck up". It's not a clever responsive, it doesn't address anything said, and it is rude. 

^

bruh switch to dark mode its at the bottom of this page

VPN Server Guide

1 hour ago, RockSolid1106 said:

It supports 100W charging for my dad's HP EliteBook DragonFly Max(funny marketing lol). Essentially HP products enjoy 100W but non HP get 75W.

According to the specs on the site it has only 15W charging. You sure you have the same dock?

EDIT: NVM - it supports 75W, however it only supports 4k 60Hz under DP 1.4, and my monitor only supports DP 1.2. 😞 

11 minutes ago, quiet_thinker said:

According to the specs on the site it has only 15W charging. You sure you have the same dock?

Yup, I'm sure I have the same dock.

Here's what a quick Google search reveals:

Spoiler

image.png.cda280bec33833ea42f9d99b950ffe1b.png

I don't find any reason for it to charge at 15W even though it comes with a 120W adapter.

EDIT: This is what the PDF from HP says:

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.6a180f25c8e7f6934b56413eeba6c8e8.png

Edited by RockSolid1106
Added screenshot from HP's PDF.

I am getting pretty fucking sick and tired of the "watch something else" responses. It's such a cop out answer because you could say that about basically anything, and it doesn't address the actual complaints. People use it as some kind of card they pull when they can't actually respond to the criticism raised but they still feel like they need to defend some company/person. If you don't like this thread then stop reading it. See how stupid it is? It's basically like telling someone "shut the fuck up". It's not a clever responsive, it doesn't address anything said, and it is rude. 

^

VPN Server Guide

14 minutes ago, RockSolid1106 said:

Yup, I'm sure I have the same dock.

Here's what a quick Google search reveals:

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.cda280bec33833ea42f9d99b950ffe1b.png

I don't find any reason for it to charge at 15W even though it comes with a 120W adapter.

EDIT: This is what the PDF from HP says:

Reveal hidden contents

image.thumb.png.6a180f25c8e7f6934b56413eeba6c8e8.png

You haven't seen my edit. 😉

I already confirmed you're right. 

However according to the forums it only supports 4k/60 on DP 1.4, and my monitor only has DP 1.2.

7 minutes ago, quiet_thinker said:

You haven't seen my edit. 😉

I did(albeit a bit late, after my reply), and used the Like reaction as a way to show that I had seen that. I don't know if I'm the only one who does that 😛 I suppose most people under 500 posts have their reaction notifications turned on and receive a notification when they get a reaction.

7 minutes ago, quiet_thinker said:

However according to the forums it only supports 4k/60 on DP 1.4, and my monitor only has DP 1.2.

This is weird. If DP 1.2 supports 4K@60, 1.4 should too, right? I'm sorry, I'm not as knowledgeable over here, so feel free to correct me, if I'm mistaken.

Edited by RockSolid1106

^

VPN Server Guide

1 hour ago, RockSolid1106 said:

This is weird. If DP 1.2 supports 4K@60, 1.4 should too, right? I'm sorry, I'm not as knowledgeable over here, so feel free to correct me, if I'm mistaken.

I've been reading into this for the past 2h and it's the same story for most docking stations:
Explaining 4K 60Hz Video Through USB-C Hub | Big Mess o' Wires (bigmessowires.com)

You can even see this in this datasheet:
i-tec USB-C Dual Display Docking Station with Power Delivery 100 W

Unfortunatelly it looks like there is a Thunderbolt "standard" but there are also 100 different implementations and it makes this whole thing a huge mess.