Macbook Pro setup & storage options

Thought I'd post here as this question, although primarily storage focused, might branch out and go off topic.

TLDR; I'm switching from a big permanent Windows PC setup to a 13" Macbook Pro and there's a grey area with the specifics of my new setup outside of the MBPro & the monitor, and I'm looking for some suggestions (particularly storage). This setup will be used primarily for digital painting with some light video work and 3D in Blender and Marvelous Designer. *Will most likely include an iPad/Wacom display at some point.

Detail

The idea with this switch was to make a move toward something more portable. I've been into games in the past, so my current setup (~5yrs old) is geared toward that and it can't move anywhere. I don't really play any games anymore so my values and usage have shifted so appealing specs like high refresh rate have been replaced by colour accuracy and easy of use. One of the major problems I have is data managament. Not organization, but storage and backup. In my current system I have a large mechanical drive and two SSDs. I have Dropbox which I store projects I'm actively working on but my slow connection gets in the way with cloud storage making it awkward and time consuming if I drop a large file in there. Saying that I should be getting a much better connection late next year, so that won't be a limiting factor forever. For the most part my projects aren't HUGE, but I do have a large photo reference library and a bunch of educational videos that are several hundred GB. 

I wanted to discuss some options with mobility in mind, how to backup my work so it's "safe", what are the pros & cons of the different external storage optons.

Values:

-Simplicity: "Less, but better." - Dieter Rams (not having to unplug 10 different cables when taking my Macbook from my desk haha)

- Easy backups, access files on multiple devices quickly

- Transfer speed (minimal down time moving/saving "large" files)

- Understated/professional looks, no flashy lights or gamer-aesthetics.

- PC & Mac compatability (low prio, but I might have a Windows machine in the future if I need for 3D)

Corsair Air 540 - ASUS Maximus VIII Hero Z170 - Corsair HX850i - Intel i7 6700K - Corsair H100i Pro - Gigabyte RX 5700 XT 8GB - 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR4 2400 - Samsung 860 QVO 1TB - Samsung 850 500GB - WD Black 4TB

Backups tend to be easier on the Mac than on Windows because of Time Machine. Time Machine supports network drives over SMB and external HDs. 

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202784 

Western Digital and Seagate I think offer NAS that are Time Machine compatible. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside