PC restarts after GPU swap

Vergil44
1 hour ago, Sleepycat3 said:

Just received my replacement PSU. A new PX-850 to replace my old SSR-850PD. Manufacturing date is 2021 March, so hoping that it resolves the 12V sense issue.

Thanks for the updates. Let us know if RMA'd unit fixes your issues. I'm still stuck with random restarts and do not want to buy a new PSU just yet (waiting for Thor 1600 reviews).

• 1 month later...
On 11/8/2021 at 10:57 PM, taavi said:

Thanks for the updates. Let us know if RMA'd unit fixes your issues. I'm still stuck with random restarts and do not want to buy a new PSU just yet (waiting for Thor 1600 reviews).

Apologies for the late update as I had also waited until Christmas to transfer my PC to a newer case and install the replacement Seasonic PX-850 at the same time. The issue with the power cutting off is gone. So my new PX-850, manufactured March 2021 seems to have resolved the noise issue.

• 3 months later...

Just wondering, instead of putting the chokes on the 12V sense wire from motherboard to PSU, is it possible to put them on the PCIE cables feeding to the GPU or is the noise going from the GPU to motherboard via the PCIE slot?

• 1 month later...
On 4/7/2022 at 7:13 PM, eggz1969 said:

Just wondering, instead of putting the chokes on the 12V sense wire from motherboard to PSU, is it possible to put them on the PCIE cables feeding to the GPU or is the noise going from the GPU to motherboard via the PCIE slot?

Supposedly it is from the motherboard through the PCIe slot like you said.

• 1 month later...

I've found this thread (and a load of others) whilst researching my own problem.

I too am getting my PC randomly shut off and restart, as if someone pulled the plug out of my PC and stuck it back in quickly.

after researching and finding this thread too, I have also come to the conclusion that I must be suffering from the 12v-sense noise issue.

I have an ASUS ROG THOR 1200W PSU - paired with i9-10850k & ASUS 3090 OC.
I also have a Seasonic Prime Titanium 850w - paired with i7-9700k & ASUS 3090 OC.

both of these machines are experiencing the exact same shut off/on issue, in the same games too (mostly tested with FFXIV and Rise of the Tomb Raider)

I'm going to pull out the 12v-sense wire on both of these systems as @jonnyGURU has recommended and see if that solves my issue.

I haven't been able to find a pin out diagram for the ROG THOR however, but as it uses the same platform as the Seasonic Prime, I 'assume' it will be the same cable... I guess we'll find out.

2 hours ago, Drazek Ironwing said:

I've found this thread (and a load of others) whilst researching my own problem.

I too am getting my PC randomly shut off and restart, as if someone pulled the plug out of my PC and stuck it back in quickly.

after researching and finding this thread too, I have also come to the conclusion that I must be suffering from the 12v-sense noise issue.

I have an ASUS ROG THOR 1200W PSU - paired with i9-10850k & ASUS 3090 OC.
I also have a Seasonic Prime Titanium 850w - paired with i7-9700k & ASUS 3090 OC.

both of these machines are experiencing the exact same shut off/on issue, in the same games too (mostly tested with FFXIV and Rise of the Tomb Raider)

I'm going to pull out the 12v-sense wire on both of these systems as @jonnyGURU has recommended and see if that solves my issue.

I haven't been able to find a pin out diagram for the ROG THOR however, but as it uses the same platform as the Seasonic Prime, I 'assume' it will be the same cable... I guess we'll find out.

According to Cablemod, it's the same pinout as Seasonic.  

Let us know how it works out.