Multiroom Gaming Setup (PC to TV - Native)

GoZerg

Hey guys, 

so i feel pretty experienced in everything regarding PCs, Networking and Media. Been building those things since over 15 years. But at the moment i struggle with a setup where i need help: 
Over the past months i went away from PC gaming and more often sit in front of my TV playing chill games. 

What i want to do is Mirror/Natively use my PC to play games on the TV. (No Streaming like SteamLink or Nvidia Box etc.)
The issues: TV and PC are in two seperate rooms, around 15-20 meters away from eachother and i struggle to use cables that are long/strong enough to support all data. In a perfect world i would like to have: 
- HDMI Connection to my TV/AV
- At least 2 Controller Cables over 15-20meters

Even with using USB3 extenders, the distance is too long, so the controller cuts our very often. 
Does someone have an idea on how i would be able to fix that? Maybe any cables i have never heard of?

Site Note: I dont want to buy/use a console, since the PC is pretty beefy and i want to remain a PC Gamer 😉

Kind Regards
Carsten

Fiber optic usb extender. It isn't cheap BUT it is one of those it just works things.

Also to make different screen setups on one system easier I use display fusion and make some profiles so I can for instance do ALT+S+0 and it will activate my main and secondary screen but deactivate all others and reorganize everything accordingly. Then ALT+S+1 means tv only and everything gets put on it how I last left it.

Great program really recommend for different room setups and saves a lot of hassle.

you can check linus home setup

ignore the stuff about emulation and unraid

you need a motherboard with thunderbolt support

then a long fiber thunderbolt cable to a dongle that has hdmi and usb ports

2 minutes ago, GoZerg said:

First of all thanks. I did check the thunderbolt option. But the cable alone is around 350€. A bit unreasonable. BUT i found this thing: 
HDMI/USB over CAT6. 

Shouldnt this also be working?
https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Mirabox-Extender-Cat5e-328ft-Ultra-purple/dp/B08N6BJNH3/

Depending on what TV you want to power it will come with big downsides. This thing doesn't even come close to what a HDMI or DP cable can transfer. If you have a 4K TV don't even think about this solution.

Example:

CAT6 is 1Gbit

DP 1.4 is 32Gbit

HDMI 2.1 is 48Gbit

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

Just now, Stahlmann said:

Depending on what TV you want to power it will come with big downsides. This thing doesn't even come close to what a HDMI or DP cable can transfer.

Yeah.. "sadly" a 4k60 4k/100 TV 😕

Yeah.. "sadly" a 4k60 4k/100 TV 😕

Edited my post for some examples on how badly bandwidth limited you'd be.

But i also bought a 10m HDMI 2.1 cable. It was expensive but now i can play any game i want on my TV with my PC powering the fun.

As for controllers i just have a XBOX One controller using the wireless dongle plugged into my PC.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

1 minute ago, Stahlmann said:

Edited my post for some examples on how badly bandwidth limited you'd be.

But i also bought a 10m HDMI 2.1 cable. It was expensive but now i can play any game i want on my TV with my PC powering the fun.

As for controllers i just have a XBOX One controller using the wireless dongle plugged into my PC.

Im pretty fine with the HDMI cable. But whats not working is the controllers 😄 USB is not long enough and Wireless/Bluetooth doesnt have a good signal through the wall. 

Im pretty fine with the HDMI cable. But whats not working is the controllers 😄 USB is not long enough and Wireless/Bluetooth doesnt have a good signal through the wall. 

So i guess you already pulled the HDMI through the wall. How about using just a 10m active USB extension goin just through the hole and then plug in a wireless dongle there? So the dongle is at least in your room.

• 7 months later...

@GoZerg I have found myself in exactly the same position. I had been considering a fibre thunderbolt cable with a thunderbolt dock in the bedroom but this is a super expensive solution, especially considering I will do 90% of my gaming at the PC. I need about 20M to comfortably reach the bedroom.

I was just curious, how did you get on with the setup you said you would try?