Can i connect my ipad to my computer?

jhon lee

Alright so i have an ipad air 2. Its 6 and a hald years old, and i want to transfer my data out of it because i realize it can break soon. I used an unofficial really shady cable and it caught on fire, it was really small and the cable only worked with powerbank since its a really shady cable anyway the cable caught fire through charging port side so i disconnected it from powerbank side. That stopped the really small fire (it looked like a dot but smoke was coming out) but the charging port did not work after that when we wanted to get an offical charger and i wanted to test it. They had one to test and it did not work, the charging port must have been affected by the fire. So we got the charging port replaced and the person told us what we already knew. The charging port got burnt a bit making it not work. So now it works but i saw ipad charging cable prices 20 bucks for just a cable? Thats alot in my country so i got a cable from the person who fixed the charging port. He gave us a 3 month warranty on the cable, i used that cable to connect to laptop and it said (device not supported) it worked with the adapter just fine. But since it didn't charge i was scared it would catch on fire because last time it was not charging the cable caught on fire costing me $30 to repair the charging port. So if the USB port sends power can i still transfer data with it, knowing its also sending power but is not being received on the ipad. I really want to transfer the data and i cant use cloud service cuz cloud recognizes apple 102 not apple 101 the folder with all my data before 2018. Is it safe to transfer data with that cable? Can i somehow prevent that usb port from sending power from windows?

Apple devices work best with other apple devices, so I don't even try getting into them.

But there must be an application for starting http server on the mobile device, at least on android, so you could transfer all the files over internet.

In general USB ports on PC provide less power than wall charger or portable power banks, so I don't think there will be any problem.

Some cables only support charging, no data wires in them...

==moved to phones/tablets==

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

12 minutes ago, RageTester said:

Apple devices work best with other apple devices, so I don't even try getting into them.

But there must be an application for starting http server on the mobile device, at least on android, so you could transfer all the files over internet.

In general USB ports on PC provide less power than wall charger or portable power banks, so I don't think there will be any problem.

Some cables only support charging, no data wires in them...

That one supports data and ik its just i am gonna leave it there to transfer for hours since its 30gb of data. So is there a way i can make sure it wont send power?

3 hours ago, jhon lee said:

That one supports data and ik its just i am gonna leave it there to transfer for hours since its 30gb of data. So is there a way i can make sure it wont send power?

See I don't know a lot about apple devices. If you really fear the power, connect an external drive via some dongle or hub, whatever your ipad recognizes.

Are you sure ipad battery will last during 30GB data transfer? I would better send big files like videos 1 by 1, and then the smaller ones together...

If I remember correctly your compter wont be able to charge the iPad. It doesn't output enough power. Aslong as the battery has enough juice you should be able to transfer your data safely.

18 hours ago, Neumann_Joe said:

If I remember correctly your compter wont be able to charge the iPad. It doesn't output enough power. Aslong as the battery has enough juice you should be able to transfer your data safely.

so you saying i leave the ipad on 100 percent so the computer automatically stops sending power to it?

5 hours ago, jhon lee said:

so you saying i leave the ipad on 100 percent so the computer automatically stops sending power to it?

Should be fine. The computer wont charge the iPad so it not "sending power to charge it" you need 10 watts to charge an iPad so the computer wont be outputting that. The iPad should come up with a not charging icon over the battery. Its only getting enough power to be able to connect and send data to the computer and iPad.  If the screen is off it might charge very slowly but nothing to worry about.

13 hours ago, Neumann_Joe said:

Should be fine. The computer wont charge the iPad so it not "sending power to charge it" you need 10 watts to charge an iPad so the computer wont be outputting that. The iPad should come up with a not charging icon over the battery. Its only getting enough power to be able to connect and send data to the computer and iPad.  If the screen is off it might charge very slowly but nothing to worry about.

Oh ya i do get that and accesory on not supported

13 hours ago, Neumann_Joe said:

Alright thanks mate i will make sure it says not charging and start transfering.