Brand new iPhone SE 2020 screen protector came with fingerprint marks right out of the box! Is it safe to use in any way?

Hello to everyone in LTT forum.

I recently bought an iPhone SE 2020 amFilm (2 pack) screen protector and the packaging was sealed with a transparent film, it had intact integrity stickers and there were 2 plastic sleeve holding each one of the screen protectors.

But as soon as I took them out (I holded the protector by some adjustment tabs on the sides, my fingers never touched them directly) I noticed they had fingerprint marks on them, it was obvious they were from a person's fingers due to the ridges that showed up and I was totally disgusted by this (they don't wear gloves at these factories, they don't have safety and hygiene standards to comply with -_-!?)!

Would you guys and gals still use any of these screen protectors knowing they arrived like this? I was thinking of using alcohol + cotton ball to remove the marks and "sanitize" the protector's peelable plastic sides 1st before trying to apply on the phone's screen but I'm still weary of that approach (because this is all very repelling and stressful for someone like me, I HATE nasty things x-x) and I would like your opinion on this one please (after showing the evidence the seller said I could keep the protectors and I'd get a refund, which is why I'm not returning them for new ones - certainly not buying from them again, it's so gross!).

3 minutes ago, TheGoldenCapser said:

Hello to everyone in LTT forum.

I recently bought an iPhone SE 2020 amFilm (2 pack) screen protector and the packaging was sealed with a transparent film, it had intact integrity stickers and there were 2 plastic sleeve holding each one of the screen protectors.

But as soon as I took them out (I holded the protector by some adjustment tabs on the sides, my fingers never touched them directly) I noticed they had fingerprint marks on them, it was obvious they were from a person's fingers due to the ridges that showed up and I was totally disgusted by this (they don't wear gloves at these factories, they don't have safety and hygiene standards to comply with -_-!?)!

Would you guys and gals still use any of these screen protectors knowing they arrived like this? I was thinking of using alcohol + cotton ball to remove the marks and "sanitize" the protector's peelable plastic sides 1st before trying to apply on the phone's screen but I'm still weary of that approach (because this is all very repelling and stressful for someone like me, I HATE nasty things x-x) and I would like your opinion on this one please (after showing the evidence the seller said I could keep the protectors and I'd get a refund, which is why I'm not returning them for new ones - certainly not buying from them again, it's so gross!).

Fingerprints are gross? Why? Just because you leave fingerprints doesn't mean they are dirty or unsafe. Yes it is odd for a sealed screen protector to have fingerprints, but your reaction is equally odd.

6 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

Fingerprints are gross? Why? Just because you leave fingerprints doesn't mean they are dirty or unsafe. Yes it is odd for a sealed screen protector to have fingerprints, but your reaction is equally odd.

I have no idea if the person who left them had washed or disinfected his/her hand and I never encountered fingerprints on any electronic device or accessory I've bought before that was brand new (I was under the assumption screen protectors always had to be spotless from the get go for the best viewing experience as well).

People can be very unclean and I'm concerned with the contamination of the protectors - it's true I am veryyy choosy when it comes to things I get for me and hyper hygienic, not extremely so but close to that.

Why not just clean and disinfect it?

27 minutes ago, TheGoldenCapser said:

after showing the evidence the seller said I could keep the protectors and I'd get a refund

I think we found someone in CS that deserves a massive raise. 

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

7 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

Why not just clean and disinfect it?

I think we found someone in CS that deserves a massive raise. 

That's true, I won't deny I was very surprised they didn't force me to send it back, pay for return shipment and maybe, hopefully, I'd get screen protectors that weren't in the same condition.

I'll clean and disinfect them as best as I can from all the feedback provided so far, even if my brain totally tells me to throw 'em away I feel this opportunity shouldn't go to waste.

7 minutes ago, TheGoldenCapser said:

I'll clean and disinfect them as best as I can from all the feedback provided so far, even if my brain totally tells me to throw 'em away I feel this opportunity shouldn't go to waste.

My old roommate used to do stuff like this. COVID has been rough on her, but she's also used it to get past a little bit of this. Think of it logically. How long do the germs you're afraid of live on glass. How long was that screen protector probably in storage, and can they handle the cold temperatures of airplane cargo(if it traveled on a plane). Disinfect to feel better though!

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

27 minutes ago, TheGoldenCapser said:

I have no idea if the person who left them had washed or disinfected his/her hand and I never encountered fingerprints on any electronic device or accessory I've bought before that was brand new (I was under the assumption screen protectors always had to be spotless from the get go for the best viewing experience as well).

People can be very unclean and I'm concerned with the contamination of the protectors - it's true I am veryyy choosy when it comes to things I get for me and hyper hygienic, not extremely so but close to that.

Do you ever touch a door knob? Push a button for a lift? Sit on a bench outside? How do you survive? I understand that people can be unhygienic, that's why we have handsoap. Clean it and use it, that's what I would do. 

52 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

My old roommate used to do stuff like this. COVID has been rough on her, but she's also used it to get past a little bit of this. Think of it logically. How long do the germs you're afraid of live on glass. How long was that screen protector probably in storage, and can they handle the cold temperatures of airplane cargo(if it traveled on a plane). Disinfect to feel better though!

Your comment makes perfect sense, indeed it would more than likely have any nasty lifeforms that used to be present on the screen protectors dormant or destroyed (most likely this one) from the constant changes in temperature, especially from the air cargo travels they went through from China and the several European nations along the way 'till me.

-_- the super clean of the world, like your old roommate and I, worry frequently if not constantly about this and we're fighting a never ending war against the most impure, ghastly and sickly things to ever exist (and that'll continue to exist).

Thank you again for this comment and for pouring sound reassurance over my head!

1 hour ago, Blue4130 said:

Do you ever touch a door knob? Push a button for a lift? Sit on a bench outside? How do you survive? I understand that people can be unhygienic, that's why we have handsoap. Clean it and use it, that's what I would do. 

Indeed, I'll clean the protectors and use them since the protectors themselves appear to be undamaged and only the external films to be smeared.

😅 I do touch door knobs at home, but I have a constant supply of 4/5 ply toilet paper rolls for touching certain stuff and for the times I need to use the bathroom, I got many thick paper towel rolls for general cleaning, loads of paper tissues and soft squared napkins for more sensitive things (and my nose, I have chronic rhinitis, although I'm no longer asthmatic I can't be too careless with the nose cleaning tissue supplies) and, of course, I got several multipurpose disinfectants, textile disinfectants, disinfectants specifically for laundry washing as well as many face masks,  disposable gloves, 96%/70% alcohol and 4% chlorhexidine cleaning solutions, cotton balls and flat pads, heavy-duty disposable trash bags and there might be something else but I'm not sure (mostly medical items that are part of a first-aid kit or for moments of "panick")

Outside is when I typically use paper sheets for opening, pushing and whatever else that's public (in my defense on this later part, national health authorities, the ECDC and the WHO also said it's sensible for citizens to not touch on things others typically do all the time, pandemic or not).

On 8/29/2021 at 3:10 AM, TheGoldenCapser said:

Indeed, I'll clean the protectors and use them since the protectors themselves appear to be undamaged and only the external films to be smeared.

I don't think its THAT uncommon, the external films after all are there to prevent fingerprints while applying.  I do agree it shows a bad state at the manufacturer though.

Personally I don't ever bother with screen protectors, I've never been able to apply one without a bubble or dust underneath which is far more distracting than a few light scratches on the screen.  The trick is to never put anything metal in the same pocket.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) + GL.iNet GL-X3000/ Spitz AX WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7