GTX 1650 upgrade for a Lenovo M92p

greasypan

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: 1080p gaming

Hello everyone! I am new in this forum and well I need your help. I have a Lenovo M92p Prebuilt. It's a simple office desktop that when I bought it had an i5 3470 and a GT 730. It's good enough for simple games, but I am planning on running more demanding games and the GT 730 can't keep up with the latest titles. I am thinking of buying a GTX 1650 since it's the best card that can max out my CPU and Power Supply.  The only problem that I have is that I'm afraid my Power Supply isn't good enough. I have a LiteOn 280w power supply. The recommended wattage for the GTX 1650 is 300w but I've seen some people run these cards on 240w power supplies. I've used some websites that calculate how much power the PC will draw from the power supply if I install a GTX 1650 and it says that it won't go above 233w. Do you think there will be any problems?

Okay immediatley i see you need a SFF card, since that PC is a slim build... make sure you look out for this

and for a 1650, look for one that run only on PCIe power and it will be just fine, so make sure you look at reviews for the exact card and make sure it doesnt require a 6 pin.

also, measure and make sure any card you buy will fit

2 minutes ago, Burnedice25 said:

Okay immediatley i see you need a SFF card, since that PC is a slim build... make sure you look out for this

and for a 1650, look for one that run only on PCIe power and it will be just fine, so make sure you look at reviews for the exact card and make sure it doesnt require a 6 pin.

also, measure and make sure any card you buy will fit

Lenovo made two different tower versions of this model it's not the sff model. So should I still not be worried?

Just now, greasypan said:

Lenovo made two different tower versions of this model it's not the sff model. So should I still not be worried?

I didnt see that one when i looked it up... can you find a info page and send the link so we know exactly what we are working with?

Just now, Burnedice25 said:

I didnt see that one when i looked it up... can you find a info page and send the link so we know exactly what we are working with?

Sure let me find one

well you need a gpu that uses all its power from the motherboard unless the psu has gpu power connectors. you can also look at gt 1030 if you dont find a 1650

|:Insert something funny:|

-----------------

#

1 minute ago, adarw said:

well you need a gpu that uses all its power from the motherboard unless the psu has gpu power connectors. you can also look at gt 1030 if you dont find a 1650

Yeah because my power supply doesn't have 6-pin connectors. Since I have a gt 730 upgrading to a gt 1030 wouldn't be a big improvement.

1 minute ago, PCTechBoi said:

I would recommend being safe and using a more wattage power supply

prebuilt case, I wouldnt reccomend trying a case move or a PSU switch... wayyyy too hard

1 minute ago, greasypan said:

Yeah because my power supply doesn't have 6-pin connectors. Since I have a gt 730 upgrading to a gt 1030 wouldn't be a big improvement.

which PSU is yours? can you tell us the wattage, theres 4 options there

prebuilt case, I wouldnt reccomend trying a case move or a PSU switch... wayyyy too hard

yeah and the mobo has a 14pin connector instead of a 24pin

which PSU is yours? can you tell us the wattage, theres 4 options there

Liteon 280w model

1 minute ago, Burnedice25 said:

A psi switch takes less thank 15m 

Just now, PCTechBoi said:

A psi switch takes less thank 15m 

Yeah but as I said before it's not a standard motherboard.

Yeah but as I said before it's not a standard motherboard.

It’s not that hard to splice the cables.

Liteon 280w model

ouch.... yeah mate, sadly as someone with lots of experience working with prebuilts (and blowing them up) I can't safely reccomend that you get the new GPU....

I think you can salvage a lot from the PC, but get a new Case, PSU, MOBO and GPU.... no real other options I'm afraid

4 minutes ago, greasypan said:

depending on what games you play it could be a major difference 

|:Insert something funny:|

-----------------

#

GTX 750 TI, RX 550, GTX 1050/TI, GTX 1650,  all options at different price points (listed worst to best performance in gaming). I would not recommend any lower than a 750 TI, because the GT 1030 is underwhelming. Maybe the GTX 750 if you find one for an excellent price.

Edited by Fasauceome

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Just now, PCTechBoi said:

It’s not that hard to splice the cables.

No, this guy is a beginner and even I (relativley experienced in PC modding) wouldnt even attempt to do that, ESPECIALLY on a prebuild system with limited info

No, this guy is a beginner and even I (relativley experienced in PC modding) wouldnt even attempt to do that, ESPECIALLY on a prebuild system with limited info

True. But its not that hard considering you can unsplice.

1 minute ago, PCTechBoi said:

True. But its not that hard considering you can unsplice.

This guy seems like this PC is his only option RN, I would very much hate to even think of someone doing something so risky just to end up with less that what he started with

2 minutes ago, Burnedice25 said:

Yeah I wasn't planning on messing with the pc stuff either

This guy seems like this PC is his only option RN, I would very much hate to even think of someone doing something so risky just to end up with less that what he started with

True. What other option do I have besides going for another gpu and if so then which gpu should I go for?

True. What other option do I have besides going for another gpu and if so then which gpu should I go for?

Mate... really with the PSU and case, along with the MOZBO you don't really have that much of an option apart to rebuild the thing sadly.... I dunno your financial situation so i can't comment on that but I suggest you save up and get a worthwhile and enjoyable upgrade in a few months