HELP!! I need an opinion about the temps on my new CPU

I recently upgraded to a Ryzen 5 3600 (from fx-8300).

Full specs:

MOBO: MSI B450 GAMING PLUS MAX

RAM: 16gb = 2x Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB, 3600MHz, CL18

PSU: Seasonic S12III SERIES, 80 PLUS® Bronze, 500W

GPU: GTX 1060 3gb (i kept my old GPU, it's older but it's good enough for 1080p gaming on a 60Hz monitor)

Cooler: AMD Wraith Prism (not the Wraith Stealth that came with the CPU, I got this one very cheap from someone that got it with his CPU but didn't use it)

Case: Deepcool Matrexx 55 Mesh

I don't like the noise the cooler makes sometimes. it keeps going from 2000 RPM to 3600 and back and it's very annoying.

After noticing this I checked the temps of the CPU and it slowly goes down, around 10 seconds, then it jumps up approx. 10 C and starts over. I attached a screenshot of the recent CPU temperatures from MSI Afterburner.

1611921318_CPUusageandtempsjpg.jpg.55a1700d530a06277b851b05021daf33.jpg

At first I thought it's caused by the lack of case fans (I had a 120mm exhaust and a 80mm intake), but I upgraded to 2x 120mm intakes (front) and 2x 120mm exhausts (back and top) and the temps went down but i still experience those 10C jumps followed by 10-15 seconds descends.

While writing this (after 5 min watching the temps in idle with only afterburner and aida64 open) the CPU reached a low of 43 C but it also spiked to 68 C while the CPU Usage didn't go over 3%.

Is this normal or do you think there might be a problem with my thermal paste application or anything else? 

If you want to reduce the fan noise, adjust your fan curve in the bios. If you want to get better control of your temperatures make sure your motherboard doesn't have CPU overclocking settings enabled like PBO (disabling it barely even affects performance). Or, you could just get a different CPU cooler like the hyper212 black. 

Yeah, looks about right for Ryzen. The jumping temp is completely normal. I've used that Wraith Prism on my 2700x and hated it for the same reasons, even after setting a custom fan curve. That fan is just too loud, period. 

A $30 Ventroo V5 would be significantly better. https://www.amazon.com/Vetroo-Cooler-Processor-Universal-Addressable/dp/B08F21X2VP/

Your temps are perfectly fine. Adjust your fan curve in either BIOS or Windows software for your board to not change speed so much. 

Most people who notice fan noise do so because of the change to the pitch due to constantly changing speed. Adjusting the curves on the fans to stay at the same speeds longer will be the simplest fix for this.

Given you seem to be able to stay arond 50s? Honestly, you'd be ok, just chaning your curve to not ramp up to the next fan speed until 65+ or even 70. CPU's running < 60c under 100% load is sitll great. (I'd be concerned if you were showing 90c+)

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

System: R9-5950x, ASUS X570-Pro, Nvidia Geforce RTX 2070s. 32GB DDR4 @ 3200mhz.

5 minutes ago, Sprawlie said:

Your temps are perfectly fine. Adjust your fan curve in either BIOS or Windows software for your board to not change speed so much. 

Most people who notice fan noise do so because of the change to the pitch due to constantly changing speed. Adjusting the curves on the fans to stay at the same speeds longer will be the simplest fix for this.

Given you seem to be able to stay arond 50s? Honestly, you'd be ok, just chaning your curve to not ramp up to the next fan speed until 65+ or even 70. CPU's running < 60c under 100% load is sitll great. (I'd be concerned if you were showing 90c+)

under 100% load it got to around 85 C, in game to 70 to 75 C

I will try to adjust the fan curve, the bios only has 4 levels and i don't think i can add more. In my previous attempts i didn't manage to make it smooth enough to not be noticeable.

Thank you!

4 minutes ago, JustMike said:

under 100% load it got to around 85 C, in game to 70 to 75 C

I will try to adjust the fan curve, the bios only has 4 levels and i don't think i can add more. In my previous attempts i didn't manage to make it smooth enough to not be noticeable.

Thank you!

Had an MSI Gaming board and yeah, the fan curve is interesting.

what I found works better is fan "steps", 

keep the fan speed consistent accross speed.

Example:

0c-60c: 20% speed

61c-75c: 50% Speed

76-85c: 75%

85+: 100%

this way minor variations in temp don't change the fan speed. Only once you hit specific thresholds. Honestly though, the AMD coolers  are "ok" for stock, but aren't great for consistent heavy loads and I would recommend a tower. Even a cheap $30 tower cooler will likely provide a much better experience

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

System: R9-5950x, ASUS X570-Pro, Nvidia Geforce RTX 2070s. 32GB DDR4 @ 3200mhz.

When you are adjusting the fan curve make sure you have it set to the right options. 3 pin fans use DC 4 pin fans use PWM. I usually set the fan to be the loudest I will want for the last option then work backwards.