Troubleshooting faulty Wi-Fi adapter.

Reiidar

Hello, I'm using a LENOVO_MT_80XL_BU_idea_FM_ideapad 320-15IKB per my system information. I've been using an Ethernet cable for the past year now so I haven't noticed it until now but I am unable to connect to any wifi network. My laptop operates as if that feature does not exist. The wifi adapter Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165 seems to not be working (see attached photo).image.png.4dc92fc3e4999f9484acd62ee1c6295b.png
I tried the other options like disabling then enabling it, trying to update the drivers (they were up to date). And when I uninstalled the drivers it once again showed up and this time it is showing as working properly. This time I can actually see the available wifi networks. I can connect to the wifi at home but while it does connect, it does not have any internet access whatsoever (for the record I tested out the internet with multiple devices around the house connected to the same wifi and it worked normally.

image.png.7e1e2fc4804b96eae2175d7fa797a379.png

I then presumed since I uninstalled the drivers, but clicking update drivers doesn't do anything. The next thing I did was go to Intel's website and manually installed the drivers compatible with my adapter. However this did not change the situation. 
Now connecting to Wifi gives me this result:
image.png.34bc81d0e57d4f4eaabf1fe5adfe48a2.png

but does not really give me any internet access, looping the "identifying network", and connected but tells me I have no internet connection. And this is where I am at currently, any advice is welcome and thank you for taking the time to help out.

You can try manually typing a static IP in the adapter settings.

Just in case IP is not assigned automatically...

11 hours ago, LWM723 said:

Does the laptop have an external switch to enable wifi?

There is none, both hardware and software (pressing alt/fn + another key).

7 minutes ago, Reiidar said:

There is none, both hardware and software (pressing alt/fn + another key).

This is one of Intel's older dual-band AC wireless cards. My sister's Dell laptop came with it and it always ran slow on our WiFi network despite every other device not having the same issue. If all else fails, it might be time to upgrade the adapter.

11 hours ago, Reiidar said:

I tried the other options like disabling then enabling it, trying to update the drivers (they were up to date). And when I uninstalled the drivers it once again showed up and this time it is showing as working properly. This time I can actually see the available wifi networks.

Open the laptop case and find the WiFi adapter. Release the retention screw and remove it completely. Make sure the contacts are clean, then reinsert into slot and secure again. Ensure the antenna cables have snapped in properly as well.

Go through the process of uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers again.

12 hours ago, Reiidar said:

but does not really give me any internet access, looping the "identifying network", and connected but tells me I have no internet connection. And this is where I am at currently, any advice is welcome and thank you for taking the time to help out.

What wireless router/AP are you connecting to? What are the wireless settings on the router/AP?

11 hours ago, RageTester said:

You can try manually typing a static IP in the adapter settings.

Just in case IP is not assigned automatically...

This did not work sadly, I also checked ipconfig in cmd and this is what it showed me.
image.png.a43c13a7e2caa3f6dd0003d38227a0bc.png

I'm unfamiliar with how I'm supposed to upgrade the drivers. I googled "Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165 Drivers" This link is what I ended up downloading the latest drivers from since it matches what is shown in the above photo in the original post as well as something coming directly from intel. For the record I downloaded and installed the top option, which is the only drivers listed for Windows 10. Although I am skeptical if I downloaded the right software since it is showing that it is for "Intel Wireless Bluetooth". There is an option for "Intel PROSet/Wireless software drivers for windows 8.1" but I did not download it because it is for windows 8 and I don't want to take steps I'm not sure of.

1 hour ago, Falcon1986 said:

This is one of Intel's older dual-band AC wireless cards. My sister's Dell laptop came with it and it always ran slow on our WiFi network despite every other device not having the same issue. If all else fails, it might be time to upgrade the adapter.

I have no experience with having to change wireless cards, what should I be looking for? 

1 hour ago, Reiidar said:

This did not work sadly, I also checked ipconfig in cmd and this is what it showed me.
image.png.a43c13a7e2caa3f6dd0003d38227a0bc.png

I'm unfamiliar with how I'm supposed to upgrade the drivers. I googled "Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165 Drivers" This link is what I ended up downloading the latest drivers from since it matches what is shown in the above photo in the original post as well as something coming directly from intel. For the record I downloaded and installed the top option, which is the only drivers listed for Windows 10. Although I am skeptical if I downloaded the right software since it is showing that it is for "Intel Wireless Bluetooth". There is an option for "Intel PROSet/Wireless software drivers for windows 8.1" but I did not download it because it is for windows 8 and I don't want to take steps I'm not sure of.

With regards to the drivers itself, please refer to the question I had above. I am unsure how to answer your question about the wireless AP/router, but if you're asking for a model it would be the default router provided by the ISP (I've checked the router itself but it doesn't indicate which OEM is responsible). However a google search would suggest it is EPON ONU or something related to it. 

A month or two ago I cleaned the laptop since dust was building up in the CPU fan. However I can only check the card itself later since I still have online classes ongoing.

8 hours ago, Reiidar said:

I have no experience with having to change wireless cards, what should I be looking for? 

Open the back panel and look for the wireless adapter.

Find the make/model of laptop then do a search for it's disassembly or teardown on Google.

The Intel AC-3165 is a M.2 2230 PCIe adapter. Any replacement with similar form factor and support for dual-band will theoretically work (like the Intel AX200). But beware: some laptop manufacturers lock down their BIOS to only accept certain models, so researching the laptop make/model is important.

10 hours ago, Reiidar said:

That's why I was skeptical about which drivers you actually installed. The 'Wireless Bluetooth' drivers are for the Bluetooth aspect of the adapter only. It's the PROSet that are needed for WiFi. If Intel isn't listing Windows 10-compatible drivers, go into the adapter's hardware properties and run the online driver update function (allow updates from Windows/Microsoft update).

8 hours ago, Reiidar said:

With regards to the drivers itself, please refer to the question I had above. I am unsure how to answer your question about the wireless AP/router, but if you're asking for a model it would be the default router provided by the ISP (I've checked the router itself but it doesn't indicate which OEM is responsible). However a google search would suggest it is EPON ONU or something related to it. 

That's very generic information. Who is your ISP? If you log into the ISP device directly, it should list is make/model in it's information page.

While there, look at what the WiFi settings are for the 2.4GHz and 5GHz antennae.

Have you tried disabling IPv6?

Looks like wifi adapter is working and you are getting local IP. There might be a conflict with another network device having the same IP or maybe firewall/ anti-virus blocking you from accessing internet.

It wouldn't hurt to use software like "DriverHub" for finding the correct drivers... Or you can manually copy hardware IDs.

image.png.57bd950ef34bad091a694f40f8d69e92.png