RX 590 crashing any time it reaches 80 degrees.

Speeed

Hi, a few weeks ago I purchased a second hand RX 590 off eBay and had issues right away with it overheating and then crashing. I managed to limit fps in games and limit it's performance for a while but it's started again with it reaching 80c then crashing again and had 2 bsods with a code referring to corrupt drivers. I've tried undervolting but I can't benchmark the card at 100% util without it reaching max temp and then crashing, I'm a little stuck on what to do or whether I should just refund the card and likely deal with similar issues for my next card.

For reference my PC specs are:

Ryzen 5 2600

16gb Patriot viper 3000mhz 

MSI Armor RX590 8G OC

MSI B450M PRO VDH MAX

Corsair CV650

Corsair 275R Airflow with 3 Intake and 1 outtake (previously running 2 intake 2 outtake but still had the same issues) 

Thank you.

ddu the drivers, reinstall, try again

it looks like someone might have flashed a bios that has a max temp limit of 80c on it, but i cant know for sure without a look at the bios of the card

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

So for the temps, I'd check the cooler for any debris, and I'm also tune the fan curve in Radeon software. I set an aggressive curve for my 480 blower and that fixed a lot of the overheating and performance problems. Went from 86 to 78 under full load.

30 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

ddu the drivers, reinstall, try again

it looks like someone might have flashed a bios that has a max temp limit of 80c on it, but i cant know for sure without a look at the bios of the card

I used ddu to remove and reinstall the drivers and then loaded up superposition and all seemed to be going well, it peaked at 80c and then throttled the card and it dipped below it's turbo speed but then it did the same thing, it's progress but I can't really think why it half worked. Is there a way to just simply limit the overall output of the card? 

5 minutes ago, Speeed said:

I used ddu to remove and reinstall the drivers and then loaded up superposition and all seemed to be going well, it peaked at 80c and then throttled the card and it dipped below it's turbo speed but then it did the same thing, it's progress but I can't really think why it half worked. Is there a way to just simply limit the overall output of the card? 

Most cards of that era have a thermal target of 80-85C before downclocking/throttling. 

5 minutes ago, Speeed said:

sounds lit the throttle point may be set to 80c.

Could you dump the vbios with atiflash or gpuz and post it so i could take a look?

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

Just now, BiotechBen said:

Most cards of that era have a thermal target of 80-85C before downclocking/throttling. 

my rx480 will go to like 90c before majorly throttlying, 85c throttle point

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

My 480 blower was beginning the throttle at 80ish and noticably underperforming when it got to 85C. The default curve never took the fans beyond 45%.

1 minute ago, BiotechBen said:

My 480 blower was beginning the throttle at 80ish and noticably underperforming when it got to 85C. The default curve never took the fans beyond 45%.

Same for the fan curve, it gets to like 40% once it hits 90c. every time I have a system crash it resets the fans to default so I lose a huge amount of perf due to trottling

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

I've just done another superposition run and with an aggressive fan curve set to kick in fully at 70 and it made it further in the scene but once again, it crashed. If I drop the clock speed of the card down to a point where it won't peak above 70-75 will that be effective then leave the voltage at auto? 

Just now, Speeed said:

I've just done another superposition run and with an aggressive fan curve set to kick in fully at 70 and it made it further in the scene but once again, it crashed. If I drop the clock speed of the card down to a point where it won't peak above 70-75 will that be effective then leave the voltage at auto? 

Another thing I'm considering is dismantling the card and reapplying the thermal paste but performing effectively open heart surgery on a £250 card scares me a little

1 minute ago, Speeed said:

Another thing I'm considering is dismantling the card and reapplying the thermal paste but performing effectively open heart surgery on a £250 card scares me a little

The 590 is a hot card to begin with, and not a huge value card, so I wouldn't recommend doing that in this current environment unless you have confidence that you can do it. It's a relatively simple process, but can be intimidating.

12 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

sounds lit the throttle point may be set to 80c.

Could you dump the vbios with atiflash or gpuz and post it so i could take a look?

Here's the vbios pulled from gpuz

RX590 thermal issues.rom

7 minutes ago, Speeed said:

Here's the vbios pulled from gpuz

RX590 thermal issues.rom 256 kB · 0 downloads

ill take a look at it in pbe in a bit, ive got to do something

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler