Unusually High Overclock? Is this safe?

Go to solution Solved by WhitetailAni,

The OC is fine. As stated above, it's likely that the company sells a 4K144 monitor with the same panel and just downclocks it. I'm able to run my 1080p60 monitor at 77 Hz, and it can do more but if I go past 77 the monitor's firmware freaks out and tells me "go back to 60".

Hello all!

I was using a 4K-60hz, BenQ EL2780U monitor.  I decided to overclock with Nvidia’s Custom Resolution tool and upon changing to 1440 Resolution was able to OC to 144Hz???  

I’ve overclocked monitors before but was NEVER able to get results like this and it got me to wondering if this is normal in certain products?  Or just some fluke?  And does this eventually nuke the monitor?

I stopped OC at 144 but it was taking everything with surprising ease so I didn’t dare push it any further.  Is it possible that this particular model was simply a 1440-144Hz model that they reconfigured to 4K-60hz to save on production costs? Stress tests were done with Call of Duty Cold War and Cold War Zombies and I couldn’t detect any artifacts during play. 

I played it safe and move onto an UltraGear 32GP850 but I wanted to know if the BenQ EL2780U could potentially be a solid budget 144Hz monitor for the up and coming gamer? 

You can’t just “reconfigure” a monitors physical resolution. That would be like “disabling” half of a pen’s ink…

But it is possible that they sell a 144hz model using the same panel and they manually clock it down as a budget option. I’d say that Oc is safe.

Uhhh yeah in Nvidia’s control panel you can go over to your monitor and click a box for “Custom Resolution” and upon doing so you can most definitely downplay your Monitor’s Resolution and ATTEMPT to increase it’s frame rate.  There’s several guides for this on YouTube and I *THINK* LTT and Jayz2cents has tutorials as well?   

But downscaling your monitor’s resolution is definitely a thing.  You cannot - to my knowledge - Upscale but can downscale all day long.  So if you just really want 720… You can do it xD

Edit:  You believe the OC is safe?  I’m glad to hear it.  I’ve never heard of a More than Double OC and was concerned

26 minutes ago, Mr Grinch said:

Uhhh yeah in Nvidia’s control panel you can go over to your monitor and click a box for “Custom Resolution” and upon doing so you can most definitely downplay your Monitor’s Resolution and ATTEMPT to increase it’s frame rate.  There’s several guides for this on YouTube and I *THINK* LTT and Jayz2cents has tutorials as well?   

But downscaling your monitor’s resolution is definitely a thing.  You cannot - to my knowledge - Upscale but can downscale all day long.  So if you just really want 720… You can do it xD

Edit:  You believe the OC is safe?  I’m glad to hear it.  I’ve never heard of a More than Double OC and was concerned

If the monitor doesnt limit you, I think it should be fine

is the monitor actually refreshing at 144Hz, or are you sending 144 frames to the display and is it only displaying 60 of them?

The OC is fine. As stated above, it's likely that the company sells a 4K144 monitor with the same panel and just downclocks it. I'm able to run my 1080p60 monitor at 77 Hz, and it can do more but if I go past 77 the monitor's firmware freaks out and tells me "go back to 60".

elephants

12 minutes ago, manikyath said:

is the monitor actually refreshing at 144Hz, or are you sending 144 frames to the display and is it only displaying 60 of them?

According to Nvidia’s overlay, I’m receiving 144Hz yes.  Also, there’s a very sharp difference between 60 and 144 if personal experience counts at all.  It would only let me push that far upon dialing it to 1440 otherwise I’d only get 5 extra frames iirc.  

I guess I’ll just chock this up as a neat little surprise bonus feature.  Why didn’t they advertise this? Lol

20 minutes ago, Mr Grinch said:

Why didn’t they advertise this? Lol

because you're 0.01% of the market who would buy a 4K display to run it at a lower resolution to get 144Hz out of it.

all in all you're only pushing about 10% more pixels trough the display controller than you would at 4k60, so it really isnt "that" much of a surprise.