Best external storage solution for laptop?

paulo7702

My setup at home is my laptop connected to an external monitor, and as such all my games and other files and programs are stored on the laptops SSD. I not only have about 30 gigs of storage left, and was looking for suggestions on a solid external storage solution. Whatever I end up with will just be parked on my desk, so portability isnt really a concern. The main use of the storage drive will be to store my game library and larger programs like photoshop, so I can use the SSD on my laptop for school without worrying about running out of storage. I would like for the experience of launching and playing games from the storage drive to be as similar as possible to launching them from my laptops onboard storage. Im looking for something that about 2 TB, and Id like to spend less than 200 dollars. Any suggestions?

A external SSD with 2 TB would be too expensive.
So I would go for a HDD, like the WD Elements Portable 2 TB for about 75 USD.

My build:

CPU

Intel Core i7 9700 8x 3.00GHz So.1151

CPU cooler

be quiet! Shadow Rock Slim

Motherboard

MSI B360-A PRO Intel B360 So.1151 Dual Channel DDR4 ATX

RAM

16GB (4x 4096MB) HyperX FURY black DDR4-2666

GPU

8GB Gigabyte GeForce RTX2070 WindForce 2X 3xDP/HDMI

SSD

500GB Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 2280

HDD

4000GB WD Red WD40EFRX Intellipower 64MB 3.5" (8.9cm) SATA 6Gb/s

Power Supply

bequiet! Straight Power 750W Platinum

Case

Fractal Design Define R6
3x bequiet! Silent Wings 3 PWM

Just now, paulo7702 said:

and was looking for suggestions on a solid external storage solution. Whatever I end up with will just be parked on my desk, so portability isnt really a concern.

Well, if youre just going to park it, consider a plugged external drives. If youre not going to put anything actually crucial in this drive like your actual school project and you just want raw storage, you an get WD Elements 10TB for 220$, imo worth while because 20$ off the limits gains you extra 2TB instead of sticking to the 190$, 8TB option.

If you do want to care about redundancy, youre going to need to spend 100$ extra for decent capacity. Synology ds220j is there for you on the entry level.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

18 minutes ago, paulo7702 said:

for school

9 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

anything actually crucial

If there is a very important school project, I would upload it to dropbox or send it to yourself as an E-Mail. So even if your house burns down, it will be there.

My build:

CPU

Intel Core i7 9700 8x 3.00GHz So.1151

CPU cooler

be quiet! Shadow Rock Slim

Motherboard

MSI B360-A PRO Intel B360 So.1151 Dual Channel DDR4 ATX

RAM

16GB (4x 4096MB) HyperX FURY black DDR4-2666

GPU

8GB Gigabyte GeForce RTX2070 WindForce 2X 3xDP/HDMI

SSD

500GB Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 2280

HDD

4000GB WD Red WD40EFRX Intellipower 64MB 3.5" (8.9cm) SATA 6Gb/s

Power Supply

bequiet! Straight Power 750W Platinum

Case

Fractal Design Define R6
3x bequiet! Silent Wings 3 PWM

1 minute ago, suedseefrucht said:

If there is a very important school project, I would upload it to dropbox or send it to yourself as an E-Mail. So even if your house burns down, it will be there.

Ive been in the scenario where basic 15GB drive plan is not enough. But yeah, fair enough.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.