added a 3rd monitor and gpu idle temp went up considerably

tautvydas

so today i added another monitor to my setup, basically reusing old monitors/tv's i find. currently i'm using

• 1920x1080/59Hz TV/monitor over DVI-D
  • 1920x1200/60Hz TV over HDMI
  • 1920x1080/60Hz monitor over DVI-I (using VGA cable with adapter)

and all of this is running on GTX 760. when i was using two displays (DVI-D/HDMI) my gpu idle temp was 42-50c, but now that i  added third one its hitting 53-57 pretty much all the time.
Its an blower style card, so it does get a bit toasty when i put it under load, and since its an older one it hits that 82c where it loses its turbo when playing intensive games (i have set it up that it would lose the turbo at 70c using MSI afterburner)
i did noiticed that my gpu clock speed does not drop below 810mhz anymore, while it used to drop down to 125mhz/320mhz when idling. (also tried to turn off wallpaper engine, no diffrence)
when pc goes into power saving mode (no display) it does go down to 42c.

so my question would be, is this normal that my gpu temps went up such significant amount after adding another monitor, and running gpu at these idle temps could have any affect on lifetime of the gpu ? (been looking to replace it for a while now but prices are nuts so i'm just waiting)

tl;dr , added another 1080p/60Hz monitor to the 1080p/59Hz and 1200p/60Hz monitors i had, idle temps went from 42-50(on heatwave days) to 53-57. thats not that high but is that how it suppose to go ?

Yes this is standard behaviour for NVidia cards, if you add more or switch to higher refresh rate displays, the GPU will no longer switch to power saving mode. Apparently this is intended by the display driver, because some lower end GPUs could be having trouble rendering that many pixels in power saving mode, but the feature is not well optimized, so most of the time it just causes mid-tier/high-end cards to not clock down as intended.

There's a tool called Multi Display Power Saver (I think the name sort of gives away what it does) which I've been using on my multi display setup. It's pretty much self-explanatory, if you need any help let me know.

Pretty much what Alvin said.

More monitors 

High refreshs

Higher resolutions

Will, depending on the jump of Refresh / Resolution cause a bit of a bump in idles especially with a card that old GTX 760s ain't no spring chicken so it might trip up a bit with more screens and high refreshes.

Regular human bartender...Jackie Daytona.