DisplayPort and HDMI...

whm1974

Is there any advantages to using DisplayPort instead of HDMI Connectors? My Current 30" Monitor has DVI, MiniDP, DisplayPort, And HDMI. Thinkpad has one MiniDP and VGA. GTX 970 uses Two DVI, and one DisplayPort and HDMI each.

Other then supporting more Resolutions and Higher Refresh Rates. I can't think of that much difference in usage.

If the display in question can support its maximum resolution, refresh rate and bit depth over either connection, no, there would be no real world difference.

For revisions less than 2.1 of HDMI, yes DisplayPort is better. It allows higher resolutions at higher refresh rates with variable refresh. With HDMI 2.1 support, no there's currently no real difference.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

If the refresh rate and resolution aren’t a problem then I can’t think of any other major difference. Depending on which version of DisplayPort or HDMI you have, they may be, but it’s most likely fine.

3 minutes ago, ZuckyT said:

The only difference I can think of would be audio, if you needed that from your monitor for whatever reason. If the refresh rate and resolution aren’t a problem then I can’t think of any other major difference. 

Both actually support audio. I'm reminded of this every time I update my Nvidia drivers and my DisplayPort connected display becomes the default audio output device again.

Personally I just prefer full-size DP's connector (but only if it has the latching mechanism), but outside of that I can't think of any real difference for your use case.

27 minutes ago, rickeo said:

Both actually support audio. I'm reminded of this every time I update my Nvidia drivers and my DisplayPort connected display becomes the default audio output device again.

Fun reminder that even DVI (technically) supports audio. Pretty sure support for that started rolling with the HD3000 series (I know my AGP HD3650 supported it) and then probably around the same time for Nvidia.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

3 hours ago, rickeo said:

Yeah, my bad. I remembered that for the exact same reason right after I pushed submit.

On 8/17/2021 at 9:19 AM, flibberdipper said:

Personally I just prefer full-size DP's connector (but only if it has the latching mechanism), but outside of that I can't think of any real difference for your use case.

Fun reminder that even DVI (technically) supports audio. Pretty sure support for that started rolling with the HD3000 series (I know my AGP HD3650 supported it) and then probably around the same time for Nvidia.

My 30" Display doesn't have speakers. So it for now it doesn't matter.