Cable only works properly one way round.

pythonmegapixel
Go to solution Solved by pythonmegapixel,

I can confirm that replacing the cable (new one arrived a few days ago) fixed the issue. The old one is now in the trash. 

Same laptop, same speakers, same 3.5mm-jack cable with identical connectors on each end.

Connect them so that one end is in the laptop and the other is in the input for the speakers, and it works it normally. Reverse the arrangement, so the end that was in the laptop is now in the speaker input and vice-versa, and only the left channel works and it picks up a ton of interference.

What do you think? Is the cable just on its last legs (I have a new one on order already as they're really cheap and I need a spare one anyway) or is something else wrong?

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

Are you sure they're the same on each end? Could you post a picture of connectors, could have a different number of poles. 

6 minutes ago, pythonmegapixel said:

Same laptop, same speakers, same 3.5mm-jack cable with identical connectors on each end.

Connect them so that one end is in the laptop and the other is in the input for the speakers, and it works it normally. Reverse the arrangement, so the end that was in the laptop is now in the speaker input and vice-versa, and only the left channel works and it picks up a ton of interference.

What do you think? Is the cable just on its last legs (I have a new one on order already as they're really cheap and I need a spare one anyway) or is something else wrong?

If its a super long cable it could be directional, I haven't seen a directional AUX cable before but I have come across it with things like HDMI. Do you have pics of the ends?

15 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Are you sure they're the same on each end? Could you post a picture of connectors, could have a different number of poles. 

12 minutes ago, CWALD said:

If its a super long cable it could be directional, I haven't seen a directional AUX cable before but I have come across it with things like HDMI. Do you have pics of the ends?

Here are the two ends together.  They don't seem to have different numbers of poles but I'm willing to be proven wrong. The photo is a bit blurry  as the only device I have on me with a camera is a cheap smartphone.

IMG_20210816_202420229.thumb.jpg.6d60c87682f03f4ea6fe2f65fd660017.jpg

The cable length is about 120cm (47 inches) which I didn't think was too long for one of these but again, willing to be corrected on that.

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

1 minute ago, pythonmegapixel said:

Here are the two ends together.  They don't seem to have different numbers of poles but I'm willing to be proven wrong. The photo is a bit blurry  as the only device I have on me with a camera is a cheap smartphone.

IMG_20210816_202420229.thumb.jpg.6d60c87682f03f4ea6fe2f65fd660017.jpg

The cable length is about 120cm (47 inches) which I didn't think was too long for one of these but again, willing to be corrected on that.

Yep, they're the same. 

Only thing I could conclude is for whatever reason  one end doesn't make a proper connection with either the laptop or speak but does the other way round. 

• 2 weeks later...

I can confirm that replacing the cable (new one arrived a few days ago) fixed the issue. The old one is now in the trash. 

pythonmegapixel