Xigmanas + cron ping

Hi everyone, I may have messed up my NAS, slightly.

I have an old PC turned NAS in my storage room. It has been with me for more than two years now without major issues.

There is one thing; occasionally, my computer wouldn't connect to it. No real idea as to why, but it did seem as to more of a networking/router issue than with either devices. The simple fix to the issue was, use the phone to login to web interface of nas and simply ping the IP of the computer.

Once that was done, it instantly connected to the shares as if nothing was ever wrong.

The NAS also runs a plex server, and my TV would run it without a hitch regardless of the computer's vision status of the NAS.

Being in a tinkering move I figured, if i ran a task on the NAS that pings the PC occasionally, this should make all the problems go away.

Logged in, went to advanced, cron, typed in ping and the IP and selected about 18 hours during the day where I might be using the PC for the task to run. Didn't save it, just figured I'd try it out so I hit run.

Since then, I am unable to login to the web of the NAS regardless of what I do or what device I use. The plex server still functions normally and, somewhat ironically, the shares seem to be accessible throughout the day. Any ideas on what could give me access once again? Is there some other fix to my problem once I do eventually manage to login?

you could do a reboot of the hardware, that would stop it and hopefully allow you to log in at least. Not sure how to solve the underlying issue though

46 minutes ago, Lupul said:

Hi everyone, I may have messed up my NAS, slightly.

I have an old PC turned NAS in my storage room. It has been with me for more than two years now without major issues.

There is one thing; occasionally, my computer wouldn't connect to it. No real idea as to why, but it did seem as to more of a networking/router issue than with either devices. The simple fix to the issue was, use the phone to login to web interface of nas and simply ping the IP of the computer.

Once that was done, it instantly connected to the shares as if nothing was ever wrong.

The NAS also runs a plex server, and my TV would run it without a hitch regardless of the computer's vision status of the NAS.

Being in a tinkering move I figured, if i ran a task on the NAS that pings the PC occasionally, this should make all the problems go away.

Logged in, went to advanced, cron, typed in ping and the IP and selected about 18 hours during the day where I might be using the PC for the task to run. Didn't save it, just figured I'd try it out so I hit run.

Since then, I am unable to login to the web of the NAS regardless of what I do or what device I use. The plex server still functions normally and, somewhat ironically, the shares seem to be accessible throughout the day. Any ideas on what could give me access once again? Is there some other fix to my problem once I do eventually manage to login?

You really should SSH in and sigkill the cron job though I'm struggling to explain why that job would stop you from logging in to the web interface unless it somehow crashed the webserver.

A reboot should also stop the job assuming you didn't set it to run on login, that should give you enough time to go and remove the rule. If SSH works you should also be able to remove it by doing sudo crontab -e and deleting the line.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Don't think I have set up SSH, is the physical reboot pretty much the only real option?

Could the job be keeping my user locked somehow?