Samsung Odyssey G9 split screen

Mgd58

Hello

So I was lucky enough to get a 3080 and decided to upgrade my dual displays, I found a local shop who had a 50% off the OG Samsung Odyssey G9 which had it lower than the dual screen set up I wanted. 

I just watched the new G9 video, and Linus talked about how it does not make sense to run it PIP and things like that. Now I have been running it in PIP mode which gets treated as 2K 120fps screens, and most of the settings are turned off as will as HDR. so it is not optimal, but not all games have ultrawide support and most of the time I play games on one half and the second half is Discord or a video or whatever, same when I am watching video it is more comfortable to have one side fullscreened while doing things on the other. 

I tried to do it in ultrawide mode and anything fullscreen takes the whole screen with black bars or stretched out in some games. after quick google I found Displayfusion but it felt like a janky solution and did not fix all the problems.

So my Question is: is there a solution that allows me to split screen and get all features of the screen? It felt weird to me when he dissed PIP but did not talk about applications that don't support ultrawide, like the screen is marketed towards gamers, does everyone who has it play only ultrawide games? or just live with the black bars? or always having the game and media in windowed?

Thanks

in my unpopular opinion, utra wide is a waste of money, it too much of a hassle, and it doesn't add any value to games,  i would much rather get 2 or 3 monitors... again unpopular.

|:Insert something funny:|

-----------------

#

1 hour ago, adarw said:

it too much of a hassle

I jumped off the ultrawide boat a few years ago for that reason. But i recently got back into it and support has come a long way. In fact i barely find games that don't support it anymore. I don't regret getting an ultrawide again.

1 hour ago, adarw said:

and it doesn't add any value to games

It adds a whole bunch more immersion in supported games because more of your field of view is covered by the screen. And with unsupported games you can just use the 16:9 part of the screen. After all every 3440x1440 or 5120x1440 monitor has one (or two) 2560x1440 monitor(s) in it.

1 hour ago, adarw said:

i would much rather get 2 or 3 monitors... again unpopular.

Getting 1 ultrawide doesn't mean you cannot get a 2nd monitor.

@OP

Pretty much all monitors come with tradeoffs when using PIP or PBP modes. Lower refresh rate, no VRR, etc. I would NOT recommend to use some software like DisplayFusion in the background because this can actually get you banned in games that use some sort of anti cheat. If you find a multiplayer game that doesn't support ultrawide, then use a 16:9 resolution like 2560x1440. And most singleplayer games that don't support it can be fixed with either modding or small Hex-edit. No need to run any background software.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

1 minute ago, Stahlmann said:

I jumped off the ultrawide boat a few years ago for that reason. But i recently got back into it and support has come a long way. In fact i barely find games that don't support it anymore. I don't regret getting an ultrawide again.

It adds a whole bunch more immerion in supported games because more of your field of view is covered by the screen. And with unsupported games you can just use the 16:9 part of the screen.

Getting 1 ultrawide doesn't mean you cannot get a 2nd monitor.

@OP

Pretty much all monitors come with tradeoffs when using PIP or PBP modes. Lower refresh rate, no VRR, etc. I would NOT recommend to use some software like DisplayFusion in the background because this can actually get you banned in games that use some sort of anti cheat. If you find a multiplayer game that doesn't support ultrawide, then use a 16:9 resolution like 2560x1440. And most singleplayer games that don't support it can be fixed with either modding or small Hex-edit. No need to run any background software.

i did say unpopular.................. but ya those are vaild points. 

-----------------

#

2 minutes ago, adarw said:

i did say unpopular.................. but ya those are vaild points. 

Saying "unpooular" doesn't mean i can't comment about it. I just shared my own opinion additional to yours.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

1 minute ago, Stahlmann said:

Saying unpooular doesn't mean i can't disagree and comment about it.

and i encorage disagreeing, it brought some points i didnt know 🙂

-----------------

#

25 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

@OP

Thanks for the response, my issue is not about not finding Ultrawide games, it is that I want to play on one half in 2K while having discord or stream for example in the other. The only way i seem to be able to do that in Ultrawide is by playing on windowed 

8 minutes ago, Mgd58 said:

Thanks for the response, my issue is not about not finding Ultrawide games, it is that I want to play on one half in 2K while having discord or stream for example in the other. The only way i seem to be able to do that in Ultrawide is by playing on windowed 

Yes, if you want to play a game on 21:9 for example you can run it in windowed and pull it to one side of the screen and still have 1680 pixels on the other side of the screen. But just saying, playing on windowed can introduce G-Sync / FreeSync issues aswell.