What's the Best Method to Manage Fonts on Windows 10

emcee2

In prepping for an imitate switch from Macs to PC, I've been reading/watching about the default method for installing fonts.  Is this the common way most people use?

What about large amounts of fonts, (downloads and commercial foundry). What's the best way to store, install and generally manage them?

On a Mac, you double click the font file, it asks if you want to install it, and if you click yes, it installs it all from the Finder.  Is there something similar on a PC?

Thanks, emcee2

53 minutes ago, emcee2 said:

On a Mac, you double click the font file, it asks if you want to install it, and if you click yes, it installs it all from the Finder.  Is there something similar on a PC?

That's exactly how it works in Windows (please try not to make comparison between Mac and PC when you are actually talking about macOS and Windows). Though Windows built-in viewer for fonts imo is not really good, I used to have additional software for that called AMP Font Viewer http://www.ampsoft.net/utilities/FontViewer.php

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

41 minutes ago, emcee2 said:

In prepping for an imitate switch from Macs to PC, I've been reading/watching about the default method for installing fonts.  Is this the common way most people use?

I don't know what you've seen or what you think the "default" method is.

41 minutes ago, emcee2 said:

You can double click a font file and it will open up a preview, where you can click on install.

image.png.35698faef7056325c7bdc54146d5e62f.png

You can also right click on a font file and then choose install.

image.png.8210781619784a0b176659a9c259efeb.png

46 minutes ago, emcee2 said:

What about large amounts of fonts, (downloads and commercial foundry). What's the best way to store, install and generally manage them?

To install multiple fonts first select the ones you want to install then
a) right click - > install
b) do a drag & drop to either C:\Windows\Fonts or to Control Panel > Appearance and Personalization > Fonts.

To remove one or more fonts navigate to either C:\Windows\Fonts or Control Panel > Appearance and Personalization > Fonts , select the fonts you want to remove and just do right click and then delete.

image.png.cd4db76ca011aa12fa1fbc2f896f3623.png

There are other ways to handle fonts, like via the "new" Settings application or even via Regedit... but I personally find the methods above far more straight forward.

VGhlIHF1aWV0ZXIgeW91IGJlY29tZSwgdGhlIG1vcmUgeW91IGFyZSBhYmxlIHRvIGhlYXIu

^ not a crypto wallet

Thanks everyone, much simpler than I we afraid of. I was watching a basic "Windows for beginners" video and it did not show the ability it install from Explorer, thus my concern.

As a graphic designer, I do have a lot of fonts. A font management tool would still be nice.

Here are a collection of management tools I found with recommendations.  I would be interested in hearing an experiences or opinions everyone has of them.

NexusFont
AMP Font Viewer
Font Manager
FontBase
Font Xplorer

Here are a collection of management tools I found with recommendations.  I would be interested in hearing an experiences or opinions everyone has of them.

14 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

try not to make comparison between Mac and PC when you are actually talking about macOS and Windows

Sorry, an old habit from driving a Mac.  Never needed to separate hardware from software.

Thanks for suggesting AMP Font Viewer, looks interesting.