RTX 3060 not performing??

cw49327
Go to solution Solved by MadGoatHaz,
2 minutes ago, cw49327 said:

I think I found the problem. I opened CPUID HWMonitor and my CPU is idling at 80-100 degrees C 😬 I've got my fans on full speed, I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong to make it that high.

Screenshot (14).png

Yep, you found your problem. Let's talk CPU cooling. Are you using AMD wraith cooler? Can you confirm the fan is running? 

Hi. I recently bought an RTX 3060 and to be frank, the experience using it has been appalling. I’ve installed and updated all drivers, running on windows 11 beta (still was having same problem in windows 10), and even when my settings are at low I’ll still only get in the neighbourhood of 30-40 fps. My old GTX 980 performed better than that!

someone pls help I’m desperate 🥺 haha

Just now, ki8aras said:

what are the rest of your specs

R5 3600

16GB g.skill memory

1TB M.2 SSD

Asus Strix X570-I Gaming Mobo

Corsair Rm750x white edition psu

1 hour ago, cw49327 said:

R5 3600

16GB g.skill memory

1TB M.2 SSD

Asus Strix X570-I Gaming Mobo

Corsair Rm750x white edition psu

DDU your GPU drivers (in safe mode), then reinstall them.

https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

16 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

DDU your GPU drivers (in safe mode), then reinstall them.

https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

I've attached a screenshot of my GPU usage while playing GTA V high settings in 1080p. I often drop down to <20 fps and rarely ever even hit 60fps. It's genuinely unplayable.

Screenshot (12).png

Is this only in gtaV you're seeing this?

Have you upgraded your monitor aswell?

Using vsync or gsync? 

I see your CPU clock is low in that pic, this could be normal for balanced power... But can you confirm your CPU is clocking correctly in game? (Monitor or graph with afterburner (rtss) or hwinfo64?)

3 minutes ago, MadGoatHaz said:

Is this only in gtaV you're seeing this?

Have you upgraded your monitor aswell?

Using vsync or gsync? 

I see your CPU clock is low in that pic, this could be normal for balanced power... But can you confirm your CPU is clocking correctly in game? (Monitor or graph with afterburner (rtss) or hwinfo64?)

I'm seeing it in all games, GTA was just the game I was in at the time of writing that post. 

I've upgraded my monitor, it's an Asus 144Hz 1ms 1080p screen.

Using VSync

Will check if it is clocking correctly and will get back to you

Make sure the monitors refresh rate is set correctly as well. Sometimes windows likes to default to 60hz.

1 minute ago, MadGoatHaz said:

Make sure the monitors refresh rate is set correctly as well. Sometimes windows likes to default to 60hz.

Monitor refresh rate is set at 144Hz. I was checking CPU temps and they're quite high (80 degrees C), could it possibly be throttling and that's why my performance is low?

That could be the culprit. CPU down clock will super bottleneck the GPU. What's your cooling solution for the CPU? 

4 minutes ago, MadGoatHaz said:

I think I found the problem. I opened CPUID HWMonitor and my CPU is idling at 80-100 degrees C 😬 I've got my fans on full speed, I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong to make it that high.

Screenshot (14).png

2 minutes ago, cw49327 said:

Screenshot (14).png

Yep, you found your problem. Let's talk CPU cooling. Are you using AMD wraith cooler? Can you confirm the fan is running? 

2 minutes ago, MadGoatHaz said:

That could be the culprit. CPU down clock will super bottleneck the GPU. What's your cooling solution for the CPU? 

I'm only using the AMD Wraith Stealth stock cooler

The fan is running and is at full speed. I realised I had GTA still open so i closed that but i'm still idling around 50-70 degrees C

Eek! Is it uncomfortably hot in that room? 

That 3060 might be pumping more heat into your case than it can manage. 

A pic says a thousand words, think you could post one up of your rig to give us an idea of your cooling setup? 

Just now, MadGoatHaz said:

Eek! Is it uncomfortably hot in that room? 

That 3060 might be pumping more heat into your case than it can manage. 

A pic says a thousand words, think you could post one up of your rig to give us an idea of your cooling setup? 

It's actually kinda cold, and I have a breeze always coming into the room

pc.jpg

Just now, cw49327 said:

It's actually kinda cold, and I have a breeze always coming into the room

pc.jpg

Intake on the top, exhaust at the back. GPU has a vent on it's side to suck in cool air. It looks close to the wall in the photo but it's further away than it l;ooks

Good looking rig! Kudos

Turn those top fans around and make them all exhaust. Bet you'll see better temps. 

Still, I think you might want to consider I decent CPU cooler upgrade. In the mean time, if you have some thermal paste laying around... I'd regoo and remount that cooler. 

Good looking rig! Kudos

Turn those top fans around and make them all exhaust. Bet you'll see better temps. 

Still, I think you might want to consider I decent CPU cooler upgrade. In the mean time, if you have some thermal paste laying around... I'd regoo and remount that cooler. 

Thanks for the help! Much appreciated. Any coolers you'd recommend? 

No problem.

For a cheap "get it done" cooler, I've always been a fan of the hyper212. But for your nice rig, you might want something with a little more... Class 😋

I've water cooled my rigs for the last 20 years, so I'll defer to others here for high quality air cooler suggestions. 

Just now, MadGoatHaz said:

No problem.

For a cheap "get it done" cooler, I've always been a fan of the hyper212. But for your nice rig, you might want something with a little more... Class 😋

I've water cooled my rigs for the last 20 years, so I'll defer to others here for high quality air cooler suggestions. 

Fair enough haha, I've considered watercooling but i don't see the point since my CPU isn't super powerful. Thank you for all your help though! Much appreciated. Have a great day!