Best way to transport a desktop PC

Hello, I move my desktop PC from my house to the college dorms a few times a year, I have been using the original box for some time and its worked ok, However that box has warn out. any ideas for the best reusable solution to transport it?  

The case is a Corsair 200R 

Thanks.

Are you driving your own vehicle? Whenever I transport a system (something I do pretty frequently these days) I put it in the seat next to me or in the back seat. If there's a heavy GPU installed you might want to remove it (though that's entirely up to you; it's not a requirement), but otherwise I just make sure it's sitting somewhere that it can't slide around or get knocked into by anything. Never had a problem. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

1 hour ago, BondiBlue said:

Are you driving your own vehicle? Whenever I transport a system (something I do pretty frequently these days) I put it in the seat next to me or in the back seat. If there's a heavy GPU installed you might want to remove it (though that's entirely up to you; it's not a requirement), but otherwise I just make sure it's sitting somewhere that it can't slide around or get knocked into by anything. Never had a problem. 

yes I will be my own vehicle, I do not want to have it in plain view though, I did see on Amazon they have desktop bags, I wonder how well they hold up

2 hours ago, BondiBlue said:

Are you driving your own vehicle? Whenever I transport a system (something I do pretty frequently these days) I put it in the seat next to me or in the back seat

Id avoid that. If you emergency brake, or hit something, that PC will just fly forward, and crash into the dash (if on front seat) or the back of your seat (if on rear seat)..  or if you are very unlucky, into the back of your head.  Safest place is in the boot/trunk, pushed right up against the back of the rear seat.  Yes, it will still be subjected to high Gs in the event of a crash, but it will be less severe, and it will only be subjected to one such force. Something on the back seat will undergo severe acceleration, then shortly after by massive decelaration forces as it hits whatever lies in its path.  Trunk...  pushed way up against the back seat...  then pack the empty space in front of it with the rest of your shizzle so it can't slide back under acceleration.

I moved with my secondary system when it still was my main system (did not take out my big air cooler or GPU) a few times by car without any issues. Best thing you can do is to put the pc on its side, so that the gpu is vertical and the motherboard on the bottom, in the trunk. Just make sure to secure it so that it won't move, strapping it down and/or moving it against the backseats.

10 hours ago, BondiBlue said:

Whenever I transport a system (something I do pretty frequently these days) I put it in the seat next to me or in the back seat.

If you do that, also put it on its side and secure it with a seatbelt. I would only do that if you cannot fit it in the trunk or if you have a pickup truck. If you have a pickup truck with room under the backseats I would place it on its side on the floorboard against the front passenger seat.

Desktop: i9-10850K [Noctua NH-D15 Chromax.Black] | Asus ROG Strix Z490-E | G.Skill Trident Z 2x16GB 3600Mhz 16-16-16-36 | Asus ROG Strix RTX 3080Ti OC | SeaSonic PRIME Ultra Gold 1000W | Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | CoolerMaster MasterCase H500 ARGB | Win 10

Display: Samsung Odyssey G7A (28" 4K 144Hz)

Laptop: Lenovo ThinkBook 16p Gen 4 | i7-13700H | 2x8GB 5200Mhz | RTX 4060 | Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon

A catapult and net deployed by helicopter.

/s

Why can't you just fix the box with duct tape or something?

elephants

6 hours ago, FakeKGB said:

A catapult and net deployed by helicopter.

/s

Why can't you just fix the box with duct tape or something?

I have been using duct tape, the flaps of the box is the main issue, so every time I open the box the flaps come off and you can only tape them so many times

1 minute ago, rareapple3 said:

I have been using duct tape, the flaps of the box is the main issue, so every time I open the box the flaps come off and you can only tape them so many times

The ones on the top of the box?
Those shouldn't be necessary to keep the PC in the box.

elephants

2 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

The ones on the top of the box?
Those shouldn't be necessary to keep the PC in the box.

ok, that's is what i was thinking, i just do not want it to fall out. My college provides movers that help you unload the car, and when they grab the computer I have a worry in my mind that something will fall out of the crate thing they use.

I suppose that I can cut out the shape of the top from an amazon box and then tape that over the opening  

Why not ask them to let you take the box as well?
I doubt they'll have problems with doing less work.

elephants

Just now, FakeKGB said:

Why not ask them to let you take the box as well?
I doubt they'll have problems with doing less work.

because its heavy and i'm at the top floor. lol

9 hours ago, rareapple3 said:

because its heavy and i'm at the top floor. lol

I once took a trip to San Diego on an airplane. I bought some carry straps so I could carry on my computer FULL tower. 

My travel bag had all my cables and keyboard & mouse. (That got swiped by TSA for all the PCB boards on X-ray. LOL)

People were floored that I was travelling with a desktop computer. I got asked why I didn't just have a laptop. 

My reply, "A laptop isn't powerful enough for needs." 

Luckily it fit in the overhead bin, and under the seat in front of me. 

(Well TSA says you can bring a computer and a carry on bag with you. 🙂 So I did. 

This isn't the exact one I had (couldn't find it) but this should help. https://www.amazon.com/Trunab-Carrying-Computer-Headphone-Transporting/dp/B08MWFW742/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=computer+tower+travel+straps&qid=1629117829&sr=8-5

My 2020 Upgrade: CPU: Ryzen 5 3600; MB: MSI X570 Tomohawk WiFi; Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3600 MHz; Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance; PSU: Corsair RM550X 80+ Gold; Storage: WD Blue 500GB SSD; Seagate 4TB Compute HDD; Monitor: GIGABYTE G34WQC 34" 144Hz Curved Gaming Monitor, 3440 x 1440 VA 1500R Display

Previous Components Still Using: GPU: MSI GTX 1070 (bought Used); Storage: WD 3TB Green HDD,WD 1TB Black HDD, SanDisk SSD PLUS 240GB

Previous Monitor I want to VESA mount: LG 29UB55-B 29" Ultrawide 1080p 60Hz IPS

When you carry it on vehicle just care it just don't drop, And covered it with box its so simple as you care your mobile when you drive so take it easy!

Could put it in the back footwell of the car then bring the seat back so the computer doesn't go a knocking as Linus would say. And if you have eating trays in the back you could put them up so that you can't see the footwell from the windows